• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tapatalk

MrBob

Moped
Will be traveling soon with my iPhone as my main method of communication. Can I access COG using Tapatalk, or can we get hooked up with them?

IIRC, at the time when we migrated over to the latest version of SMF tapatalk did support that version.  They may support it now, but this is something our volunteer web dudes will need to look if they have some free time.

For now, there is a mobile theme that works fairly well. 
Enter this URL into your mobile browser: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?theme=4

Works great thanks Steve no more squinting and trying to tap the right board with the big fingers

Don't use tapatalk personally (I'm cheap). What I do on my iPhone is turn it horizontally and then double tap the message headers or text. The iPhone zooms in perfectly to the correct size for maximum readability.

I'm writing this reply on my iPhone 5 while I sit in McDonalds having lunch.

Mad River Marc said:
I use tapatalk, and would love to be able to use it here, but I understand that it's not a priority :)

Yes... priority is the issue... There is a poll in another thread to see if the number of people that want it warrant the limited time our illustrious volunteer admins have to implement it.

S Smith said:
Mad River Marc said:
I use tapatalk, and would love to be able to use it here, but I understand that it's not a priority :)

Yes... priority is the issue... There is a poll in another thread to see if the number of people that want it warrant the limited time our illustrious volunteer admins have to implement it.
Do you recall where you saw the thread. It looks like Tapatalk does support Simple Machines.
http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php

Stewart said:
Where is the poll referenced above? I've like to place my vote for support for Tapatalk.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,38122.0.html

The poll/thread expired a few weeks ago.  As you can see, the overall response was light and those who expressed  interest even lighter.  While this would be a nice add-on, the [volunteer] admin does not want to take on the install & maintenance of a feature that there is little interest in.  I'm sure Colin would be happy to hear from members who are SMF gurus who would be willing to lend a hand.

S Smith said:
Stewart said:
Where is the poll referenced above? I've like to place my vote for support for Tapatalk.

The poll/thread expired a few weeks ago.  As you can see, the overall response was light and those who expressed  interest even lighter.  While this would be a nice add-on, the [volunteer] admin does not want to take on the install & maintenance of a feature that there is little interest in.  I'm sure Colin would be happy to hear from members who are SMF gurus who would be willing to lend a hand.

I wonder how many members knew of the poll (not me) and, if few other members knew of the poll, can 20 responses be considered representative?

S Smith said:
Stewart said:

In a world of mobility and progressiveness I find it hard that only 20 COGers see value in this. I understand that resources are light and are volunteer based, but this can't be that much effort. While I don't manage a forum for hundreds/thousands of users , I do manage my own Wordpress and Gallery website for family content and adding a plugin can't be that much effort. I do understand that maintaining it and future upgrades does add extra work.

FYI, I don't use the mobile skin its not optimal for fast browsing. I use the WAP2 interface, no graphics just fast content.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?wap2

Stewart said:
In a world of mobility and progressiveness I find it hard that only 20 COGers see value in this. I understand that resources are light and are volunteer based, but this can't be that much effort. While I don't manage a forum for hundreds/thousands of users , I do manage my own Wordpress and Gallery website for family content and adding a plugin can't be that much effort. I do understand that maintaining it and future upgrades does add extra work.

20 members replied to the poll. Only 8 indicated interest. Go figure. 

I fully understand why club volunteers need to minimize their workload... it's an incredible task to balance time between volunteering for COG, working at the real job, finding time for family, and riding (not necessarily in that order)

S Smith said:
Stewart said:

20 members replied to the poll. Only 8 indicated interest. Go figure. 

I fully understand why club volunteers need to minimize their workload... it's an incredible task to balance time between volunteering for COG, working at the real job, finding time for family, and riding (not necessarily in that order)

What are we discussing here: A recent poll proved that members aren't interested in adding Tapatalk to the mix, or, volunteers are busy enough as it is and we should leave things as they are?
I get that volunteers are busy and need our support, but I also get that their job is to assist members have the forum they want.
Have we done a good job of determining what that is?
Twenty members out of now many?

MrBob said:
What are we discussing here: A recent poll proved that members aren't interested in adding Tapatalk to the mix, or, volunteers are busy enough as it is and we should leave things as they are?
I get that volunteers are busy and need our support, but I also get that their job is to assist members have the forum they want.
Have we done a good job of determining what that is?
Twenty members out of now many?

Hard to say how many exactly.  Last I heard there are over 2000 paid members in the club.  Looking at the public forum stats: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=stats
There are over 6000 forum users registered.  There are approximately 3000 with more than 100 forum posts.
But only 20 voted in the poll.  Just sayin'

S Smith said:
MrBob said:
Hard to say how many exactly.  Last I heard there are over 2000 paid members in the club.  Looking at the public forum stats: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=stats
There are over 6000 forum users registered.  There are approximately 3000 with more than 100 forum posts.
But only 20 voted in the poll.  Just sayin'

It's kind of hard to figure out how to read this, but, in effect, 8 members decided the question of using Tapatalk. We know that most forum users are lurkers but if 20 responses reflects the level of interest among members, so be it. The only question remaining for me is how many members actually knew of the poll.

Hi Let me Chime in a moment

As it's basically my call right now to push the button or not on Adding Tap Talk

MrBob, you make very valid points, and I think you have a good handle on the issue.
How many new of the survey, who knows, probably the same number that have read this thread.

IIRC there was a cost to install the TapTalk plugin (I could be wrong) the vast majority access the forum from their browser and the vast majority would not know Tap Talk from a hole in the head. The fact that only a hand full 8 out of 6,000 have chimed in and only what 4 here in this thread have expressed an interest tells me that that the candle ain't worth the flame for me to spend the time to install and maintain it.

Now if I was a real Forum Ho, and used my iPhone 4 to connect on a regular basis then likely I would install it right (just as you would if you were admin)  ;) 

As you may have seen from the Concourier I'm looking to transition parts of my workload over to new blood who may well be interested in Tap Talk and many other things.  For now I'm paddling hard, working on the 2013 National and figuring out how to consolidate our overly complex online presence.

Cheers

Colin

Colin said:
Hi Let me Chime in a moment

As it's basically my call right now to push the button or not on Adding Tap Talk

MrBob, you make very valid points, and I think you have a good handle on the issue.
How many new of the survey, who knows, probably the same number that have read this thread.

IIRC there was a cost to install the TapTalk plugin (I could be wrong) the vast majority access the forum from their browser and the vast majority would not know Tap Talk from a hole in the head. The fact that only a hand full 8 out of 6,000 have chimed in and only what 4 here in this thread have expressed an interest tells me that that the candle ain't worth the flame for me to spend the time to install and maintain it.

Now if I was a real Forum Ho, and used my iPhone 4 to connect on a regular basis then likely I would install it right (just as you would if you were admin)  ;) 

As you may have seen from the Concourier I'm looking to transition parts of my workload over to new blood who may well be interested in Tap Talk and many other things.  For now I'm paddling hard, working on the 2013 National and figuring out how to consolidate our overly complex online presence.
Cheers
Colin

Good post Colin. I'll be fine with the will of the people and if the interest isn't there then this isn't the time. As smart phones proliferate and people come to realize the benefits of TT, that may change.
BTW: Tapatalk fees range from free to 800.00 with a deluxe version priced at about 3,000.00

Thanks Colin.  For me it doesn't matter either way. If we had it, I would use it.  Probably not the time. Thanks for all you do sir.

Let me see if I got this right Colin.... If you installed this plugin, you "could" be on-call 24/7 to support the forum (and break up the occasional scuffle)...

I say go for it  :rotflmao: :D :))

Dave that sort of post will get you banned!  :rotflmao:

Hope to see you at next years National. We are holding it just for you!  :great:

Looking for a good way to stay in touch while on the road.  Loaded Tapatalk on my tablet since doing anything on my phone is a pain, big fingers and bad eyes.  Was able to load some of the forums I follow but COG was available but not working.  I see that this was discussed a few years ago and was wondering if there was any way to get this working? 

Also, I am wondering if there is a cost involved how we as members that would like to use this feature vote to allow some of our membership fees to foot the bill?  How would we go about doing this?

S Smith said:
Stewart said:

d

totally missed that poll.... and I am someone that does use it for posting photos directly from my phone to ADV site....

I went back and seems as if the poll still works, so I voted, maybe others will also now, hope this resurection works better than the poll did 4 years ago....

go vote... :great:

unfortunatly thread is locked, so I couldn't post to bring the thread up top again, but it did take my vote.... go figure....

someone care to unlock / bring the thread back to life????? Beuhler???? Beuhler.....????

51% of the 43 people that voted, yeah.

tapatalk is something that I am interested in getting going. and as the club's IT manager, I'd be the guy making it happen.

I've been chipping away at getting it going, but at the moment it's hung up on the system that the forum uses to authenticate.

I'll chime in again, as I missed the poll, and this is getting to be a real p.I.t.a. with excuses, and software,.combined with the fact that prolly 90% of the people today, especially us that ride, use a smart phone as a camera...

Photobucket totally screwed the pooch on their hosting and posting to third parties.... TT is a seamless, and easy item to utilize, and photo storage and sharing is what it was designed for...

Virtually. No person on Adventure Riders when on road, uses anything but, except for SmugMug, which the people that run ADV also run... they are a good "long term online storage" but they do charge... TT is free to users.

Someone needs to get in touch and spend a half hour working out the particulars, to make this usable for COG people on the road..
All the money COG has spent, keeping this Simple machine pockets paid, with all the issues we have been seeing about its "working effectivity" this pastyear,.has me asking if its really the "best for the buck" anymore... I think a few folks would say no.. having seen the laments with making registrations, and payments for stuff recently...

SMF is free, I'd say we got our money out of it.  We don't and to the best of my knowledge have never paid them. The problem isn't with SMF. There is a Tapatalk plugin for SMF. The problem is that we don't authenticate off of SMF, we authenticate off of cogmos/memberize.

I put quite a bit of time into trying to make this happen before DoT took over.

We need someone with strong PHP (code the forum runs on) skills and an intimate knowledge of SMF, at least the authentication. The 'bridge' from SMF to Memberize was written by someone who was one of the developers at SMF, but he is no longer interested in helping. I think the only way Tapatalk is going to happen is to advertise a paid gig on the SMF forum, as I have reached out to several whom I thought qualified and none were interested. But this is of course not without risk, of being scammed, hacked, or ending up with insecure code.

My B/S detector works pretty well, but I am not an IT professional, and my PHP skills are minimal, so I lacked confidence to proceed, and the issue was dropped.

I also floated the idea of removing the bridge, which would require separate logins to the forum and to Memberize, but might allow Tapatalk to install. Not a good solution at all, and was rightly shot down. At the time though, fewer people used smartphones, and not many had even heard of Tapatalk.

To put the issue in layman's terms, to install a mod in SMF, files need to be modified. This is done automatically through a set of instructions that basically looks for certain code lines in certain files, and can either replace those lines, or add code before or after. If those lines of code have already been changed, then the mod cannot find them and the mod install fails.

I don't know how big of a job it would be but I don't think it would get done in a half hour.

I guess the end result, as it has been so far, is until someone contacts TT directly, discuses the software issues WITH THEM, and asks THEM for a solution and assistance in "making it work"... nothing will transpire.

They are not a small hosting company by any means, they have people there that can, and do, work out solutions for safe migration... but again, until they are asked to provide a solution.... its just a repitition of "it won't work" on this end we hear.

It seems as the grouping of software, COGMOS and the forums SMF, are really just a "all the eggs in one basket" thing at this point, and if niether is willing, or no longer has "the people that know how to do it" working for them, then they as providers are limiting the extent of the progress and original useage of their products..
This authentication thing still has me a bit confused, as "is it really needed for the use of the forum?" Or just done to supposedly tie in the forum and COGMOS sites for secure purchases and transactions? If so, its kinda moot, having to login to a forum and also login to COGMOS individually shouldn't be that much of a deterrent... I mean its kinda like saying "I leave the door to my house wide open, because I get tired of opening it to come in the house..."
Also, it seems as if every time "maintainence" has been performed on either site, it required re-logging in to BOTH sites initially, to use either.
I've had to do this a dozen times since the sites were created, no big deal...

tapatalk doesn't really have the inclination to help us. when I talked to them last year they just pointed me to the file that was being used for their authentication and said effectively "have fun"

the reason the forum is tied to the membership system is so that there is only one account with one password.
the reason you need to re-login from time to time is that I reset the forum cookie, which kicks all logged in sessions.
I do this from time to time to make sure every only people with active accounts are logging in.

Also, there is currently an active project to move off of Memberize, so it wouldn't make any sense spend any time trying to get TT to bounce it's SMF auth off of Memberize.