• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tech help on communications issue.

• Thread starter Ronnie_Lyons_ID
  • Start date
R

Ronnie_Lyons_ID

Time to reach out to the electronics gurus out there. I have a 5 pin J&M headset installed in a new helmet. I also have a Midland GMRS radio that begs to be connected to said headset, thereby creating a pretty nifty communications set-up. This is where you come in. Sierra Electronics makes an interface cable that connects all Midland CB radios to a 5 pin J&M harness...however my radio is GMRS, not CB. (I have already tried and the CB cable won't key the GMRS.) Now, given the popularity of FM vs. AM communications, one would think GMRS would be superior to a CB these days, and I can't believe someone, somewhere hasn't done this yet. Does anyone know of an interface cable that will make this happen for me? Ronnie Lyons Meridian, Idaho cog4151@hotmail.com

Ronnie, I wish I could help, but I ain't that smart. Just wanted to bring it back up again. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

It's hard to say which radio service is better. One must consider the advantages and disadvantages of both. The FRS band is specifically used for short-range communication (short range is defined as 2 miles or less). GMRS band is used longer range operation. Some specs say up to eight (or even fifteen) miles from each other, but this is in ideal conditions. The longer wavelength of CB radio makes is better for longer range communication (up to , if this is your priority (up to 20 miles). One of the nice things about FRS & GMRS is that they use "privacy codes" which help to limit the chatter you have to listen to, "opening" the speaker only for other radios using the same privacy code as you. As for connecting the headset... it should be compatible and you should be able to make you own cable or modify one that has the correct ends on it. You will first need to find the wiring pin-out of both the headset and the radio. I recall seeing a J&M headset pin out in Dave Morrows Concours tech pages, under the Communications, Music, Video section. These pages are available through this web site <here>. As for the Midland connections. A Google search turned up that Midland lists 2 motorcycle headsets for their GMRS... AVPH1 and AVPH2. Maybe you can find the wiring diagrams for one of these. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.