• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Temp Guage Fluxuation

svadnais

Big Wheel
Hey everyone, a newbie here to the forum anyway. I have a 95 with 12K mile that I finished rehabing last year, lots of dry rot and rust in the tank, etc. It runs great and I love the bike to death. I live in Kansas and so we just started feeling the heat. Normally my Connie like many of you never seems to get the Temp Guage out of the cool zone. However the last couple of days with the heat I have notice that when I'm sitting at idle the guage creeps up to about 1/4 the way up the guage, never higher without the fan coming on. But I have notice that when I start to accelerate the gauge quickly plummets back below normal. If I cut the throttle it jumps back up, power on temp down, power off temp up. Should I be worried? I sat for a long time and I'm worried about the water pump. Any advice would be more than welcome. Thanks, :)

I think your fine. My 90 used to trip the fan switch just above mid Gage. The temp switch quit this spring so installed a manual switch. Have not seen the temp above center since. Figured that I would use the manual switch when it goes above center, but even with our 90+ days it has remained cool. No setting in traffic yet though. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

PS I did add some "wetter water" when I installed the switch. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Thanks for the reply, I'm probably just being paranoid. I have always wanted a Connie and now I have one. She is my Burgundy Beauty. My wife doesn't like her either. Thanks again.

Normally mine runs just above the cool zone, barely in the normal zone. Sitting at idle on a 70* day at a light it will go to 12:00 position when the fan comes on. Takes a minute or two to get there. Once riding it will come back down. In 100* weather it runs a little hotter on the gauge, but still not 12:00. Come to a stop and it hits the 12:00 position in no time. 2003 Concours, 63K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg