• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tensile Strength of Fairing bolts

stewarth

Scooter
I'm trying to find out what the Tensile Strength of this specific fairing bolt is, per the below photo? Does someone know if the Service manual or parts list specifies that information?

Second, can anyone tell me what the thread/size is, assuming I wanted to replace it with something that has a high tensile strength.

Lastly, I haven't removed the fairing to check, but does anyone know what this bolt fixes to, and have a guess at what sort of load it could possible carry. I'm hoping it could support 20-25lbs.

And before you ask why...I have an idea which I'm exploring for a solution to rest my knees vs highway pegs. I don't know if its viable...but I'm exploring.

Attachments

• IMG-20110907-00010_small.jpg
    IMG-20110907-00010_small.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 83
If you are talking about the shiny Allen head screw at the bottom outside corner of the painted section (center of the photo), I think it is made of an aluminum alloy.  They are pretty soft.  I don't recall what the diameter or thread pitch is though.

As for what it threads into, it's at the end of a fairly long metal tube, less than 1 inch in diameter.  I really doubt it would support 20+ lbs without distorting or bowing the fairings, and possibly breaking some plastic.

If you are looking for a way to mount something to handle more weight, I would go for the engine bracket bolts just inside the vents.  That's where the tip over bars mount, and that point would be much more solid.