• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

that damned center stand.

Ouch!  I just knew there was a reason I simply ignored the centerstand most of the time.  There's just too high a risk that something exactly like this will happen to me if I try.  If I don't NEED the centerstand for some form of maintanence, I don't even try to use it.

Great to meet you, Doctor!  Sorry that your first post is in this thread...  and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

Sad story I'm sure.  Connie's Centerstand inspired this non-hit single.
Click the link and find "Centerstand" about 2/3 of the way down the list.  Kickstand Crash is Hogboy singing about my first CDA admission (before there were CDA numbers and support group).

http://peterhogboy.com/2.html

CENTERSTAND LYRICS

Centerstand,
Maybe if I had a firmer hand.
Or was the baddest dude in the land,
I could get Connie on her centerstand.

It’s all technique,
So says ZGirl and I feel so weak.
And Twinkletoes just uses his bare feet.
Oh why can’t I master the right technique.

Left hand on her grip,
Grab the lip and just step down.
But I get no joy, only noise,
Now my shorts are brown.

Centerstand,
I’m hopin’ hernia’s on my Blue Cross plan.
This bike weighs more than a baby grand.
Two slipped discs and still no centerstand.

Yet I huff and puff, and talk gruff;
But she doesn’t care.
I pulled up too hard, my reward,
Soiled underwear.

Centerstand,
Now my ire you raised and fanned,
2 X 4s and Wing tires all be damned,
I don’t need no steenkin’ centerstand!
I just torched off Connie’s centerstand!

Gosh, fellas, i joined the club simply to show off my ability to drop the thing on my foot.
#1105664/Scott Mitchell/South Central Area/Regular Member + Associate - One year.

I had been trying for days to put the damn thing on the centerstand in order to change the rubber myself.

I bought the stock tires and had them in hand.  Then i went to do the centerstand thing from the Avon Rubber.  Try 1, receeded. Try two, a ten year old kid comes and asks what are you tryin to do.  I got a bit indignant and said, "stand back, Ill show you".  Then i went at it, thinking a slight aft roll would help me.  The damn girl came over on my foot and hammered it and then bounced off.  My foot was in severe pain the next day, but glory be, it works ok now, and no permanent damage.

The bike is undamaged, I dont really get it, yet this bike lowsides fairly well with only the fairing moulding damaged.

Here is my lyrics for the event.

Does she walk?
Does she talk?
Does she come complete?
My concours bluestock "C10" always pulled me OFF my seat
She was pure like snowflakes, no one could ever stain
The memory of my angel could never cause me pain

DAYS go by, I'm tryin’ to change the rubber clean
And she bucks off the centerstand on the frame there in between

My blood runs cold, my right hand foot has just been hammed
My devil is the centerstand
Devil is the centerstand!

She still walks and talks fellas, with new stock rubber, and took me for a romantic ride thru the Big Sur.
Those stock tires pull heavily on groved highways, but otherwise make fair tracks.  She talks with a whisper.

Kind Regards,
Scott

Sorry to hear that. Awesome story. I can tell your are a great addition to COG. Now to get that tune out of my head before it happens  :-[

Sorry to hear about the drop...  I tried on three or four separate occasions before I
had the testicular fortitude to man down on the thing...  It's a scary first if you're goin' it solo.

I can only say, "It gets easier."  Try not to go it with a full tank till your comfortable.
I also put in some extra time to make sure both legs are firmly planted... it's the 'key'.

Welcome to the forum!

Star Witch doctor: I am really sorry for you're incident, I have looked on u-tube to see the easy way to do it and you really have to lean it over on the high side and rock it till it balances. The only time after watching a few videos it is a little iffy for me is when I have both bags full and top bag and tank bag and gas tank all full and the camping trailer full. (and I am careful because I had my right femur snapped clean across when in a younger years wreck. :-[

Love the lyrics Witch Doctor... obviously to be sung to the tune "Centerfold".  How appropriate.  :)
Welcome to the club where everybody gets caught layin' down on the job.

Thanks for joining, Scott and associate!  I'll be able to assign you a CDA number as soon as the COG # under your avatar stops displaying as Forum.  Because that's done by a volunteer rather than by the machine, it sometimes takes a while.

Love the lyrics!

Just my 2-cents on the matter at hand. I learned this from Airmonger and it works extremely well. Use a 12 by 12 patio brick or something comparable to rest your rear wheel on. Once this is accomplished, simply push down on center stand with minimal effort and presto, your Connie is up on the center stand. Good luck, it has worked for me many times over.

Mo

the star witch doctor said:
Gosh, fellas, i joined the club simply to show off my ability to drop the thing on my foot.
#1105664/Scott Mitchell/South Central Area/Regular Member + Associate - One year.

Welcome to COG and thanks for sharing. Great lyrics. 

Your COG member number is 11871 (the number you posted is a database index ID)
Log out and back into the forum to refresh your profile and display your #

Thanks for the info, Steve.  It still isn't showing for me, but I'm going to accept your word as official.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm Scott as the 533rd recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:

0529 C10 Doug Belling
0530 C10 Michael Molohon
0531 C10 Frank Dunlap
0532 C10 Keith Toby
0533 C10 Scott Mitchell

Wow, talk about self-sacrifice for dear old Connie.
Glad all is OK; especially your foot.
Look up "zen and the art of the centerstand"... it helped me.
Patience and balancing her on both sides of the stand is key, I think.
I've been able to get her a couple of times when fully loaded, but usually just use the side stand. I used to use the centerstand when filling the tank because I thought I could get more in the tank, but the difference is small enough to not worry about.
Now  big WELCOME!!
Jorge

After reading this I thought it was going to be hard to get my connie14 on the center stand. I about flung it out of the garage. Apparently you all have never put a Goldwing on the center stand, the connie was easy.

creo50 said:
After reading this I thought it was going to be hard to get my connie14 on the center stand. I about flung it out of the garage. Apparently you all have never put a Goldwing on the center stand, the connie was easy.
Apparently YOU'VE never put a C-10 on the centerstand... particularly one with 17" wheels and the stock stand.  Think GL1800 with a Panzer tank riding pillion.  :D

Rev Ryder said:
creo50 said:
Apparently YOU'VE never put a C-10 on the centerstand... particularly one with 17" wheels and the stock stand.  Think GL1800 with a Panzer tank riding pillion.  :D
No never tried that. I will try to be a little more gentle next time though. LOL

I still don't wanna mess wit nobody what can toss a C-14 outta da garage.  :eek:          :beerchug:

I was reading this assuming it was about the C14. Apparently not. The C14 is easy to get on the stand. Guessing C10 is harder?

KevinRLI said:
I was reading this assuming it was about the C14. Apparently not. The C14 is easy to get on the stand. Guessing C10 is harder?

Yes, there are entire religions, cults, and legends based upon the many various methods folks use to get Connie up.  Er... the C-10 that is.  :beerchug:

I actually got the C10 on the Centerstand with all my camping gear on the bike once.... just once...

Of course I had to sacrifice small animals, and pray to the Centerstand Deity, "Getupdarusumb!+ch"

Do yourself a favor and roll the back wheel up onto a 3/4" or better piece of wood and then try it.
A slight downhill slope helps too.
Sorry about your foot but at least it's a genuine CDA.  ;D

Rev Ryder said:
KevinRLI said:

Yes, there are entire religions, cults, and legends based upon the many various methods folks use to get Connie up.  Er... the C-10 that is.  :beerchug:

Rev, you're a pretty, erm...stout fella, right? Do you have much trouble gettin' a C10 up on the centerstand?

Just curious. Clearly just putting my own weight on the stand is insufficient...have to do that roll-back-grunt-lift routine to get mine up.

JimBob said:
Rev Ryder said:
KevinRLI said:

Rev, you're a pretty, erm...stout fella, right? Do you have much trouble gettin' a C10 up on the centerstand?

Just curious. Clearly just putting my own weight on the stand is insufficient...have to do that roll-back-grunt-lift routine to get mine up.
My 06 is stock and I can put it up with out too much trouble. But the two turbo bikes have short forks and 17 inch wheels. King Kong can't put them up without at least a2x4 under a wheel.  Stocker = Doable ,  Short bike with tall stand = Hernia coverage necessary.