• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The day finaly came

danmcdermott

My name is Dan COG#11339. On 4 JUNE 2015 I took fuel and snack break because I was getting tired. From a stop I started into a turn and stalled the bike at less than walking speed. This is a manuver I have done many times before but I did not slip the clutch enough this time. With no momentum the bike was going down. The slight incline worked against me and the bike hit hard being on a paved parking lot. Thanks to this forum I installed canyon cages as soon as I got the bike and there is no damage to the bike what so ever. It is even difficult to see the scratches to the canyon cages. The foot peg looks un harmed. Only the Canyon cages made contact with the ground.

I was shaken up and suprised but un injured.

If I had slipped the clutch more while starting this would not have happened.
If I had regarded the incline as a potential hazard this might not have happened.
If I had kept my feet down until more momentum developed this would not have happened.

I am thankfull to have an un damaged person and bike. Hopefully this prevents someone from repeating my mistake!

Good Luck and Ride Safe!

I'm not so sure about that last one, though it surely wouldn't have hurt anything... except one of your legs.  Better to keep them out of the way rather than risk breaking one of them underneath a falling 750lp+ motorcycle.  I am SO glad to hear that you weren't hurt, and that you thought to put the Canyon Cages on before this happened.  Some folks prefer to risk going without.  Or worse, they bought them but they're waiting on a shelf for installation.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 542nd recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0538 C14 Bernard Vance
0539 C14 Harold Massey
0540 C10 Gerald Gaither
0541 C14 Alan G Peck
0542 C14 Daniel McDermott

It seems to be the most dangerous part of riding a Connie is when you want to stop...
So we better keep on riding... :motonoises: