• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The Mystery Ride

caeman

Moped
A Mystery Destination Ride This past Saturday the 16th, Erin and I met up with a new group of riders. I had met one of them online via the Concours Owners Group. This ride would have to do since I could not attend the gathering down in TN. The destination was a secret. The only clue was that total ride miles would be about 200. The weather for the day looked to be maybe rainy, but as long as there was no lightning, I was riding. As seems traditional for bikers, we met up with the new folks at a restaurant for breakfast.
IMG_7353.jpg
IMG_7354.jpg
After eggs and pancakes, it was time to make preparations to leave.
IMG_7360.jpg
IMG_7361.jpg
IMG_7362.jpg
IMG_7363.jpg
IMG_7364.jpg
IMG_7365.jpg
IMG_7366.jpg
IMG_7367.jpg
IMG_7368.jpg
IMG_7369.jpg
We then proceeded to follow the leader to somewhere unknown! To where would this adventure lead? I didn't really care, I was just enjoying the ride. Paul Uhlman, the leader, found us some fun, twisty roads. The pace was brisk, but not excessive.
IMG_7372.jpg
IMG_7374.jpg
IMG_7378.jpg
IMG_7379.jpg
IMG_7380.jpg
IMG_7381.jpg
We made a stop a short time later because the sun had come out and some of the folks wanted to put in their shades.
IMG_7386.jpg
And then we were off again.
IMG_7388.jpg
IMG_7389.jpg
IMG_7390.jpg
IMG_7394.jpg
IMG_7401.jpg
IMG_7413.jpg
And then we arrived at the mystery destination. The Augusta Ferry. This hill scared me. A lot. I don't like gravel, at all. Gravel on a steep incline is not an improvement. So, I began to make my way down the hill and boom! The Connie fell over. The only thing harmed in the process was my ego. The folks picked my bike back up while I made sure Erin was okay. The benefit to a full fairing has become obvious to me.
IMG_7415.jpg
IMG_7416.jpg
IMG_7417.jpg
IMG_7418.jpg
This would be my first ever ferry ride, without or without a motorcycle. I don't know how to swim, so I am weary of water deeper than I can walk in, but, all went well.
IMG_7420.jpg
IMG_7421.jpg
IMG_7422.jpg
IMG_7426.jpg
We stopped for lunch. Again with the bikers and their food!
IMG_7433.jpg
IMG_7436.jpg
And then official group photo
IMG_7438.jpg
We topped off the tanks and proceeded to make our way back toward Dayton-ish direction. But not before the weather got its last laugh in and POURED on us for about 15 minutes straight.
IMG_7444.jpg
IMG_7451.jpg
IMG_7452.jpg
IMG_7458.jpg
IMG_7472.jpg
IMG_7485.jpg
IMG_7483.jpg
IMG_7489.jpg
IMG_7492.jpg
It was not a horrible day to be out. The folks I rode with were friendly and welcoming of the new guy. The weather mostly was good. And the roads were downright pleasant to ride on. Some of the roads we traveled were: Rt-123, Rt-63, Rt-123, Rt-132, Rt-133 and Rt-52. : 38k miles

Nice job on the report Chad! :) Sounds like ya'll had a fun time! Colin Prior COG Webmaster Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

It was, indeed, right up until the rain hit. Between the amount of rain and wind, no amount of speed would have kept me dry. I had removed the liner from my jacket, thus I ended up cold and wet. : 38k miles

Chad, Make your way over to the Connie Droppers Anonymouse section and I'll award you a CDA number. Nice pictures and trip. I hate gravel too! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Chad, Great ride report! I've ridden that ferry a coule of times and that gravel approach can be scary. I'm sorry to hear you fell victim to it. They really need to pave it, but I believe they are a low budget operation and needed help from the city/state a couple years ago to stay in business. If you liked those roads, there are many more in that area, in both OH and KY, that are even better, if you like twisties, or even if you prefer the not-so-twisties. There are 2 rides in that area this year that I am aware of. Steve Thompson is planning on hosting another Camp and Ride based at the campground he stays at, just up US 52 from the ferry, but no date has been established yet. Then, Jim Brown hosts his Ohio River Rally (http://home.fuse.net/ORR/) based in Maysville, KY, again, just up the road from Augusta the weekend of September 19th. Last year we rode, and I believe it will be the same this year, mostly in KY towards Lexington and rode the ferry into Ohio for a little riding there.