• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

thermal fabrics for the seat?

flivver

Street Cruiser
[Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but it seemed as close as any.]

I was noticing that I seem to get a lot of heat through the seat on my C10.  I realize that there's heat coming off the engine, and so forth, as well, but there seems to be a fair bit under me, as well.

I got to wondering if taking off my seat cover, putting one of these fabrics inside, and then re-stitching the cover would do any good:

http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/buying-guide/keep-hot-hot-and-cold-cold-thermal-fabrics

Anybody ever tried anything like this?

I've considered Rev's idea of using a beaded seat cover, but the guys at work (many of whom ride) would give me no end of crap about it. :)

I bet if you find the right product that just putting it under the seat instead of in it might work fine.  If you do it, put some under the gas tank also. 

Stopping the hot air from coming out the side of the bike and into your crotch helps a lot also.  Brian use to make some heat shields but mine just sold with the bike.

Thanks...  And indeed, I already have the heat shields, and they do help.  Looking for whatever edge I can get.  I've considered the Baker Air Wings, too, as the opposite solution to the problem (i.e. cool the heat with air, rather than preventing the heat from getting to me to begin with).

Indeed, beads.  Despite my aversion to the idea (see post #1), I decided to order an Ultimate BeadRider from beadrider.com last night.  I was considering the airhawk, but figured I'd give beads a try first.

John I hate to say this at this point but I got the bead riders and they are way more expensive than it needed to be and did not work well because the beads do not go over the edge of the seat far enough.  The air could not get under me since the seat sealed by my legs, butt and tank.

Before I bought it I made one out of the beaded car seat cover Walmart sold.  It was easy enough to make and cost me $12 about?  It worked so much better.  I only bought the Beadride because it was black and looked better.  The wallmart one is natural wood look.  Many have issues with riding on beads.  I felt it was better.  Once I had a custom seat that blocked more heat though I felt like I did not need the beads anymore.  I  use the Beadrider on my drum throne now.  Works great there.

smithr1 said:
John I hate to say this at this point but I got the bead riders and they are way more expensive than it needed to be and did not work well because the beads do not go over the edge of the seat far enough.  The air could not get under me since the seat sealed by my legs, butt and tank.

Before I bought it I made one out of the beaded car seat cover Walmart sold.  It was easy enough to make and cost me $12 about?  It worked so much better.  I only bought the Beadride because it was black and looked better.  The wallmart one is natural wood look.  Many have issues with riding on beads.  I felt it was better.  Once I had a custom seat that blocked more heat though I felt like I did not need the beads anymore.  I  use the Beadrider on my drum throne now.  Works great there.

Dang.  Well, I guess they can't hurt for comfort, even if they don't help the heat. :)  I'll report back...  Thanks for the heads-up, though!