• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

This is the wrong bike for city commuting

Grumpy Goat

Scooter
I've been lurking and not posting of late, mostly because of the new job.

One of the benefits of bike ownership in Doha, Qatar (N25 E31 approximately) is that I can filter to the front of every traffic queue. And believe me, the traffic queues in Doha are the stuff of legend. I do it because I have the machine; it beats the pants off driving (for half the year - for the other half the temperature is to high); and I get to park right outside the office rather than over the road in the public car park.

In order to maximize traffic capacity, the signals are all set at maximum green time. This means that if you miss the green, you can sit at the Stop line for the thick end of four minutes. But don't be tempted to run the red light: the fine for doing so starts at around $1500 (fifteen hundred; that is not a typo).

Despite the shortness of my commute, in around four miles I encounter five signals and two roundabouts. I seem to spend half my time waiting at red lights, and most of the rest trying to figure out a way of fiddling a C14 between the Land Cruisers, most of which are apparently piloted by people who think lane lines are merely a means to reduce the planet's overabundance of white paint.

Here we get to the nub of the matter: My bike detests this heavy traffic, filtering, and waiting at interminable red lights. It retailates with ghastly fuel consumption. A week or two of commuting yields 30mpg.

There is a need. A need for speed. i need to take the bike for a proper ride this weekend.

Conrad said:
4 miles eh? Is riding a bicycle out of the question?

Or walking for that matter!

Or if you have to have a motorized transport, this is where one of those little 50cc scooters would be perfect.

Grumpy,

I share your pain. All the claims of 40 mpg have got to be from riders that don't do a substantial amount of urban riding. I won't give up my ride just yet. I can equal the high mileage riders when I do a long straight run. My mpg will never be as high as long commuters because I do a lot of riding around town with a mix local super slab.

If you want high mpg get a scooter for around town. The C14 is still better than most four wheelers.  :)

I doubt the OP was serious about getting rid of the C14, I think he was just venting. Unless he really only uses the bike for this commute.

As for the scooter idea, if I lived and commuted in a City...that would be my ride. The money you would save (fuel, insurance, parking, maintenance, etc) could pay big time for some serious toys.

I'm not about to change from a C14, so don't panic! Unfortunately, cities in the Middle East are hyper bicycle-unfriendly, or at least the drivers are, and pedestrian facilities aren't much better. It's imperative that I keep up with the traffic flow when I'm moving. Bicycles are not a good idea. In Sharjah, where I used to live, they were for a brief period a couple of years ago actually forbidden by the local municipality. Something about how they made the place look like the third world...

A smaller, or at least narrower, motorbike might be a good idea...but where to park it...? It would help if I took the bags off the C14, except it's the mirrors that are the widest part of the machine.

For the half year when the climate is too uncomfortable for motorbikes, or even walking (120F in the shade and 90% humidity is commonplace), car travel is the only way to go.

I think the 'orrible fuel consumption is largely caused by burbling around in low gears. I got similar results when working as a camera bike for a half-marathon. Not to worry. One tank of gas lasts a couple of weeks of commuting, and now the weekend is upon us I'm going for a fast blast. I'm gonna blow away the cobwebs and turn about six gallons of gas into pollution.

Grumpy, here in Houston our traffic can be pretty brutal too.  Thankfully not as bad as yours.  But, I take great pleasure knowing that even at its worse my Connie burns less gas than my car ever would.  Plus- of course the biggie- you're on a Connie!  That alone is worth the trouble/expense, etc.

Get a second bike, perhaps an adventure ie. Versys

I ride to work...see lots of adventure or naked bike in town...However, sometimes I do ride my C14 to work

I feel much better now I've taken the bike for an out-of-town blast. Two tanks of gas, and back to 47mpg. It was windy today, but because there was rain last week the dust was minimal and skies were actually blue instrad of the more customary brown.

There are a couple of photos here in case anyone's interested.

Grumpy, Very cool pictures. It is nice to see a C14 in another part of the world. Sounds like your country has some interesting environmental challenges especially with the heat/humidity/traffic and sand. However, you do live in a country that seems to be quite progressive from what I have been hearing.
Bob

Grumpy Goat said:
A smaller, or at least narrower, motorbike might be a good idea...but where to park it...? It would help if I took the bags off the C14, except it's the mirrors that are the widest part of the machine.

I agree the mirrors are about the only issue with the width. I like to bring my bike into the shop but it is too wide to get into a 3 foot door without scratching.

I agree the mirrors are about the only issue with the width. I like to bring my bike into the shop but it is too wide to get into a 3 foot door without scratching.
[/quote]

That's a bummer. With the mirrors folded back, my 2011 Connie is exactly 36-1/4" wide.