• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

This just in: Ice is slippery

Mad Phil

Tricycle
Rode to work this morning; 24 degrees but sunny. We had a little snow yesterday but nothing that accumulated on the roads. Ride in was pleasant and uneventful, but there was just enough (or should I say too much) ice in our parking lot. Pulled into a spot nice and slow, and just as I was about to put my foot down... the whole Connie went down. Nice and slow, almost gracefully. Already had my left foot out, so I just stood up and stepped off. My forward velocity couldn't have been more than 0.25 mph, if that.

A friend came out and helped me lift it. No way I can do it on my own, what with my 58-year-old back and knees. The damages? Apparently none, except for a tiny scratch on the left mirror, which folded in nicely. No broken plastic at all. So, very lucky, but now a member of CDA.  :(

I just KNEW there was a good reason I moved to Florida over 30 years ago!  It's great to hear there was neither damage nor injury in this event; we're not often that lucky.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 496th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:

0492 C14 Don Bryant
0493 C14 Tom Roush
0494 C14 Daryl Snider
0495 C10 William R Bowen III
0496 C10 Phil Walsh

Sorry about your drop Phil. But as you can see, you're not alone. Very happy to hear about the limited amount of damage to you and the bike too.

Thanks guys! I do feel extremely lucky that nothing broke. On the plus side, I now know for absolute certain that motorcycle tires have zero grip on ice. Kind of makes you appreciate the extra two wheels that cages have.