• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thoughts on Crampbuster

texasdw

Bicycle
Before I begin, let me say that the Crampbuster is an ingenious product - well conceived and executed.  It does what it's supposed to do.  And, I'll continue using it in some instances.  But, after undertaking my first saddlesore 1000 on Friday and Saturday I've got some observations.

My Concours was stock except for bar risers and a Crampbuster.  After about 400 miles I started to feel pain in my right hand.  It was kinda hard to localize. It was just there.  On the few stops I made I didn't feel any pain in my hand, and honestly as soon as I got off the bike I didn't think about it any more until I was back on, cooking down the slab - then it was back.  I rode for quite a while with my hand open, palm resting on the Crampbuster and fingers resting on the brake caliper.  I'd alternate between that and gripping the throttle.  By around 600 miles the pain was becoming undeniable, and apart from my knees (the peg lowering kit is ordered) it was the only pain I was feeling.  The pain was becoming more and more localized to my 4th and 5th fingers, and my hypothenar emminence (palm of my hand- in the heel of the hand area).  Perhaps ironically, for hundreds of miles I kept thinking to myself, 'boy if my hand hurts with the Crampbuster imagine how difficult this ride would be without it!' 

Through all of this it occurred to me that there was no pain in my left hand...hmmm...what's up with that?  I'm gripping the left bar as hard as the right.  So, at about mile 700 I pulled off the Crampbuster and the pain was gone!!! Rode the rest of the way home with no pain.  By that time my 4th and 5th fingers were numb.  Today I have no soreness anywhere, except that my 4th and 5th fingers are still tingly and numb.

So, what's up with this?  My thoughts...it takes the same amount of force to hold the throttle with or without the Crampbuster.  But with it you are using a different set of muscles.  Muscles that are localized in the palm rather than the fingers.  Muscles that previously are not used to holding a throttle for extended periods.  That, I'm sure, is part of it.  But there's more.  I do NOT have the "hand-numbness" syndrome that many experience on the C14.  But boy now I sure have it on 2 of my fingers - the two that were holding this device.  The device itself is hard plastic, and wrapped around the grip there's no rubber under my relatively thin glove.  It's just leather on hard plastic.  And since much of my ride was in the 80+mph range (west Texas) I was definitely experiencing the hand buzz.

I do think this is a great product.  Had no problems with it zooming around town.  I will keep it with me on the Concours for long rides so if my hand does get tired I can pop it on for some temporary relief.  I also ordered one for my Wing, and I'm optimistic that without the inherent vibration on that bike that it'll be fine (I do have cruise control on the Wing, but I like this little device so I think it'll make a great complement to the cruise).

Again, not product bashing, just sharing my experience.  To reiterate, I think it's a great product.  I will just use it differently on my C14 than I thought I'd be using it.  I wonder if others have had any similar experiences with this?

Thanks,
DW

I got a Cramp Buster not long after getting my Concours, just to try and get a bit of relief on long runs. I stuck with it for about 1,000 miles, but finally had to get rid of it. I now have a Go Cruise for momentary grip relief and do prefer it vastly over the Cramp Buster. I think the only thing that might be better would be a factory cruise control.

Darn!- that looks like a really nifty product.  And the price is right! 

I went ahead and ordered the Throttlemeister after my ride...wish I'd seen that little gizmo before I dropped the $$ on the 'meister.

It really is quite handy, although some people have had problems with them not holding speed. I added a second silicone strap (came with the Cramp Buster) to the grip and it works great. Of course, like the Throttle Meister, it isn't a true cruise control, but it's pretty easy to turn in a little throttle if you're starting to slow down when heading up an inclined section.

If the road is fairly flat, mine holds speed perfectly once you get it set, and gives me a chance to get the feeling back in my fingers and roll my wrist a few times. I think the longest that I've ever been able to use it without adjusting is maybe three minutes, but that's an eternity when your hand is number or your wrist is sore.

And no, you just can't beat the price.

That looks pretty slick.  I may have to add one to my C10.  I use the Cat orings right now.  One advantage of the Go Cruise I can see, is it is one hand operated.  The o-ring is two hand, or let the throttle close while you roll the o-ring on, then open the throttle back up.  I was on hwy99 for about 70 miles today, and used the o-ring a few times. 

I've found that the angle of Connie bars is tough on the hands. They do rake back, and that puts the hands at an unnatural angle. I have the Go Cruise, and while it works fine on my KLR, when it is not in use I find that it irritates my hand. That spot at the inside of the grip is the most comfortable (I believe) and the Go Cruise takes that spot away. On longer trips, it is a pleasure to give the right hand a break though. It is not a perfect solution.

I like the way the Cramp Buster attaches, like it's spring loaded plastic. The problem that I found on the Cramp Buster, is that they are just straight plastic. I found them to be not the most comfortable to use because of this. Being just straight plastic, they tend to irritate and can cause blisters on my palm. I wound up removing them. (I tried two sizes).
I personally prefer the Throttle Rocker over the Cramp Buster. The Throttle rocker is more ergonomically designed to fit in your palm much better. Thus it tends to be much more comfortable to use, with way less irritation to my palm. The down side is that it doesn't attach as nice as the Cramp Buster. The older Throttle Rocker's did mount that way. But from what I understand, the Cramp Buster has a patent on it's design, so Throttle Rocker changed to a strap on Velcro set up. Not as nice , but it works fine. I personally prefer the Throttle Rocker's comfort and fit over the Cramp Buster. Of course this is just my opinion after using two different sized Cramp Buster's before the Throttle Rocker.

Cap'n Bob said:
I like the way the Cramp Buster attaches, like it's spring loaded plastic. The problem that I found on the Cramp Buster, is that they are just straight plastic. I found them to be not the most comfortable to use because of this. Being just straight plastic, they tend to irritate and can cause blisters on my palm. I wound up removing them. (I tried two sizes).
I personally prefer the Throttle Rocker over the Cramp Buster. The Throttle rocker is more ergonomically designed to fit in your palm much better. Thus it tends to be much more comfortable to use, with way less irritation to my palm. The down side is that it doesn't attach as nice as the Cramp Buster. The older Throttle Rocker's did mount that way. But from what I understand, the Cramp Buster has a patent on it's design, so Throttle Rocker changed to a strap on Velcro set up. Not as nice , but it works fine. I personally prefer the Throttle Rocker's comfort and fit over the Cramp Buster. Of course this is just my opinion after using two different sized Cramp Buster's before the Throttle Rocker.

While wearing gloves?

Similar experience with my crampbuster on a 1700 mile trip 2 weeks ago on the C14.  It had worked great on my FJR on many serious long road trips but 300 miles into this one my RH was bothering me.
I think the other post about the angle of the C14 handlebars plays a big role.  They are much more angled than my FJR.  I personally find I can ride much further on my FJR without gloves before running into any hand numbness.   
And we were doing 'go directly to jail' speeds from Florence to Myrtle Beach and while the C14 has a buzz its got nothing on my FJR with 5 gears in need of a TBS!
Too bad I wont spring for those adjustable Helibars that run $700!

Cap'n Bob said:

+1 on the Throttle Rocker

I have had a good experience with my CrampBuster.  I also use an O-ring for longer stretches so I can relax my right arm, wrist, grip but for shorter stints I use the CrampBuster to loosen my grip on the throttle and just rest my hand on top of it with fingers extended.  I just need to make sure that it doesn't twist around too far so as not to interfere with off-throttle motion.  For $10 it has been a good addition to help avoid cramping or numbness in my hand.  The "spring attachment" makes it easy to twist out of the way or raise it into the appropriate angle for the speed I am riding.