• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Throttle Lock

kurtlammon

Tricycle
On my old KZ650, I used to have a nifty throttle lock. It was black plastic, mounted at the base of the grip. To lock, you just used your thumb to move the lever down. To release, just flip it back up. That was back in 1991. Now I can't find it anywhere! I've tried the big o-ring at the end of the grip, but it's too hard to manipulate. Does anyone know where I can find the old style lever throttle lock?

I think the one your thinking about is a Vista Cruise ... check out this link, lots of info on it. Joe http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=47423.msg109616#msg109616 Or do a search on the other forum for Vista Cruise and there is a ton of info.

There was a much simpler version out there years ago, but here is a link to the Vista at JC Whitney. http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/textsearch_result.jcw?sku=throttle+lock&shopid=100003&_requestid=1720543 hank

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion... great info! Hank, thanks for the link to JC Whitney; I placed the order already. Looking forward to being able to stretch my right hand soon.

IIRC, the Vista Cruise can be difficult to install on a Concours (I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong). A more "frugal" option is the Catipillar "O" ring. I suspect a search on this forum or on the ZG Fanatics forum can give you more specifics on the part number.

I've used the Caterpillar O-Ring on my bikes for cruise control for years and years. Works great and is cheap! I think I pay around $4.00/ea for a ring. I pick them up at the local Caterpillar dealership here in the Bay Area, CA. Over the years I think I have only replaced a ring once, maybe two times for my Concours. I have found that the O-Ring works great out on the road.

Bill Range
San Ramon, CA
'2000 Concours
Corbin saddle
CEE-BAILEY  windshield (with vent)
Hole Shot- Dale Walker carb jetting and slip ons
Caterpillar O-Ring for cruise control

Bill Range said:
I've used the Caterpillar O-Ring on my bikes for cruise control for years and years. Works great and is cheap! I think I pay around $4.00/ea for a ring. I pick them up at the local Caterpillar dealership here in the Bay Area, CA. Over the years I think I have only replaced a ring once, maybe two times for my Concours. I have found that the O-Ring works great out on the road.

+1

It's  Cat part# 8M4991  I bought a few online somewhere can't remember where but I just searched Ebay and a couple came up

Used the NEP CC-3 friction throttle lock for years on the Conk, KLR and the Sabre.
Then upgraded to the electronic c, ruise control aka the discontinued Audiovox.
The electronic CC  is worth every cent of the $14 out the door discontinued Schucks price... hee hee. Surely one of the best upgrades I have done for distance riding.

I'm just spoiled.  I run the Audiovox Cruise Control on mine.  Set it and ferget it. Uphill or down.  They are getting hard to come by anymore though.  :'(

Rev Rider said:
I'm just spoiled.  I run the Audiovox Cruise Control on mine.  Set it and ferget it. Uphill or down.  They are getting hard to come by anymore though.  :'(
Murph's got a batch headed his way, said maybe Nov/Dec by the time it hits his door. Discounts for deposits only..