• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thurs FLA Departure for RWTW Thread

SteveJ

NOTICE

Swampy's no longer does breakfast.

Due to Swampy's no longer serving breakkie, looks like we get to go to a Waffle House for some smothered and covered.

I-75, exit 352, SR 40, Silver Springs Rd, NW corner. Down a block or so should be a Texaco on your right, at least according to Google Maps. We can gas up there, and the Waffle House is next door.

Same Bat time, same bat day. Thurs, 8am departure.

I was really looking forward to the corn beef hash at swampy's. :'( :'(

Note: please let me know who is going to meet up as I plan to call ahead at Swampy's to let them be ready for the ravenous bunch of badA$$ biker dudes and dudettes rumbling north from mid Flowriduh.

Depending on the number of folks showing up, we may leave in two flights, with the go fasters leaving a minute or two early.

Last year, we stopped at exit 201, south of Atlanta to meet up, lunch up, then split up for the final push to Wildcat. It worked out well, so let's do it again, meet at the Q joint on the NW side of the interchange. I think we got there about 1:30 last year, somebody with a better memory please feel free to step in and correct me here. Also, you may want to get some extra chow for supper that night, as Wildcat closes at 530 or 6. Nothing says fine living like having Q twice a day. :great: I should have a camp stove along to reheat your goodies if you want.

Definetely some good q there.  Seems like it was about 1:30 or so.  I rode up with Billy Berry last year and we met y'all at exit 201.  Some of us went on straight through Atlanta and others went a more scenic route.  :motonoises:

reid53 said:
Definetely some good q there.  Seems like it was about 1:30 or so.  I rode up with Billy Berry last year and we met y'all at exit 201.  Some of us went on straight through Atlanta and others went a more scenic route.  :motonoises:
Thanks Reid, I was thinkin about that time. Wanna try again this year? We'll be just a giittin' it once we get our bellies full in Ocala.

Rolling up myself from North ATL on Friday morning. So, ride safe y'all. I'll be thinking about those Florida roads I'll miss by being up here already. But only for a minute! :D

Save me a spot in the Floriduh row at the camp site. Should roll in before noon Friday.

Mike

Bugnut said:
Rolling up myself from North ATL on Friday morning. So, ride safe y'all. I'll be thinking about those Florida roads I'll miss by being up here already. But only for a minute! :D

Save me a spot in the Floriduh row at the camp site. Should roll in before noon Friday.

Mike
Umm...let me check the bylaws to make sure it's OK to save you a site.  :))

That reminds me, I have to get with Daytona Mike about bringing the flag up.

Daytona Mike, white courtesy phone, SVP.

Not sure if I'm up to meeting y'all for the ride up.  I am going to leave Thursday from Melbourne, I was thinking about
6:30-7:00.  If all goes well, I'll meet up with you at Wildcat.

It's still a ways off, and travelling plans are subject to change.  Who knows, if it's a 'precipitous'
Thursday I may go up Weds...  I've got two weeks off!  WOOT!

(Probably need the extra day to set up the $&^#@ tent!)

Bugnut said:

Mike
I think the bylaws also state that there's a gratuity expected if a COG member puts up a stick and a cardboard sign that Say's RESERVED for another COG member. PS..... You might want to wear earplugs while trying to sleep  :campfire:

(Probably need the extra day to set up the $&^#@ tent!)

Tradition has it that the "new guy" to camping has to wait until dark to pitch camp, then we can all critique you after we've had a few bottles of critiquing fluid. We will try not to laugh really hard. (yeah, right)

Along that line, I would strongly suggest camping in the back yard for a night, just to see how it goes, and what you may have to change. It's a lot easier to deal with before the rally. After all, would you rather be riding kick butt roads or scrounging at Wally World in Dahlonega for camping crap? Once you get things squared away, tenting is quite comfortable.

BTW, if you roll out at about 5:30, you should hit Ocala at about about 730 or so. You can peel into the Shell station next door to Swampy's and gas up, then go to the parking lot next door and watch us waddle to our bikes.  That will be the shortest, quickest route for ya, 589mi, vs 622mi going up I95, and save you about 30 minutes. Don't forget the Sunpass.

If nothing else, meet up for Q at exit 201 in GA.

IIRC, the two groups that went through Atlanta arrived at Wildcat before 5pm last year. Plenty of time to set camp and then try to find IronbuttAl and see iffn we can talk him into tapping the first keg on Thurs night.

Snake said:
Bugnut said:

Mike
I think the bylaws also state that there's a gratuity expected if a COG member puts up a stick and a cardboard sign that Say's RESERVED for another COG member. PS..... You might want to wear earplugs while trying to sleep  :campfire:
Beer is considered legal tender as far as gratuities. ;) :beerchug:

Not a problem, Mike. We'll hook ya up.

SteveJ. said:
Tradition has it that the "new guy" to camping has to wait until dark to pitch camp, then we can all critique you after we've had a few bottles of critiquing fluid. We will try not to laugh really hard. (yeah, right)

I will be a tent pitching Ninja before I get to Suchez, just to hear "Holy $h!+" echo through the valley.  :nananana:

SteveJ. said:
Along that line, I would strongly suggest camping in the back yard for a night, just to see how it goes, and what you may have to change. It's a lot easier to deal with before the rally. After all, would you rather be riding kick butt roads or scrounging at Wally World in Dahlonega for camping crap? Once you get things squared away, tenting is quite comfortable.

Why would I need to scrounge in Walmart, when I will have an endless supply of camping goods, readily
offered by kind, sympathetic, generous, booze riddled COG Members.  Having been a Scout myself, I will
be quite well prepared.  I just hafta remember....

SteveJ. said:
BTW, if you roll out at about 5:30, you should hit Ocala at about about 730 or so. You can peel into the Shell station next door to Swampy's and gas up, then go to the parking lot next door and watch us waddle to our bikes.  That will be the shortest, quickest route for ya, 589mi, vs 622mi going up I95, and save you about 30 minutes. Don't forget the Sunpass.

If nothing else, meet up for Q at exit 201 in GA.

IIRC, the two groups that went through Atlanta arrived at Wildcat before 5pm last year. Plenty of time to set camp and then try to find IronbuttAl and see iffn we can talk him into tapping the first keg on Thurs night.

Anyway I look it, I'll be there trying to coax Al to tap that keg early!!  If I choose to meet up with you, I'll send you a PM.
There's a remote chance I'll be riding DOWN from Cary, NC. (Bwah ha ha) I'm trying to work out the details.

There's a remote chance I'll be riding DOWN from Cary, NC. (Bwah ha ha) I'm trying to work out the details.

With your extra time off, you may want to spend a few extra days in the mountains. Iron horse up near Stecoah is right decent, in a superb area. They even have cabins also in case ya wimp out. ;)

reid53 said:

Reid, will miss riding with you guys, but have a couple of guys coming from Pensacola. I plan to meet them on the West side of Atlanta. I will be staying with my sister in South Ga. Leave Thursday morning ..Take US 27 to Columbus I-185 - I-85 - I-285 - US 19. There were a couple of guys in the Columbus area that were talking about going? They are welcome to hook up with us.
I should be coming thru Columbus around 10 am. In crotch rocket mode!! oops.. sorry .. moped mode!!  :) :motonoises: 

Hi Steve,

I will be joining you for departure on Thursday. I will be riding from Miami on Wednesday night and spending the night in Ocala. I´ll meet you at the restaurant at 7:00 AM.

See you there.

Thanks

JP

Just to let you know, GA is setting up toll booths at the border, so somebody better bring a "shit load of dimes" with them  :D  Does anybody know what movie that line is from  ;D

COGnosticat0r said:
Just to let you know, GA is setting up toll booths at the border, so somebody better bring a "s*** load of dimes" with them  :D  Does anybody know what movie that line is from  ;D

Mel Brooks....  Blazing Saddles.... top 5 of all time funny movies!

bump

So far aside from meself:

Steve W(Tavares)
Bill W.
Juan P
Daytona Mike(I think)
and one other, maybe

Any other suckers er um takers?

Steve(s), we will meet y'all up the road somewhere.  I'm leaving Valdosta at 7:45AM and head up Corridor Z (GA 520) and meet Billy Berry in Cusseta GA.  We will then head up I-185 to Newnan, Ga and meet two others and proceed on up north.  Should arrive at the Wildcat around 3:00PM.  See y'all there.  :motonoises: :beerchug:

reid53 said:
Steve(s), we will meet y'all up the road somewhere.  I'm leaving Valdosta at 7:45AM and head up Corridor Z (GA 520) and meet Billy Berry in Cusseta GA.  We will then head up I-185 to Newnan, Ga and meet two others and proceed on up north.  Should arrive at the Wildcat around 3:00PM.  See y'all there.  :motonoises: :beerchug:
Save us some spots. Thanks.

SteveJ. said:
reid53 said:

The Florida contingent has a reserved spot up the hill from the bath house  ;D

COGnosticat0r said:
SteveJ. said:
reid53 said:

The Florida contingent has a reserved spot up the hill from the bath house  ;D

At least it's not DOWN the hill from the outhouse!  :))

OK, I waited till the last to do this but... I ain't goin'. Way to much work. Many connies will be out on the roads this weekend having fun with fresh carbs, 7th gear units, etc... but mine won't be one of 'em. Still, it's a good problem for a self employed guy to have so I better not complain. Hope y'all have a great time, and be safe  :motonoises: Steve

SteveJ. said:
bump

Steve S
Steve W(Tavares)
Bill W.
Juan P
Daytona Mike(I think)
and one other, maybe

Hmmm, won't be able to join that crowd (probably make me ride way behind ya'll anyways  :)) )
I'll be departing from Warner Robins o'dark something, maybe?  Thursday so I'll blaze the trail for ya  ;)
hehehehehe

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
OK, I waited till the last to do this but... I ain't goin'. Way to much work. Many connies will be out on the roads this weekend having fun with fresh carbs, 7th gear units, etc... but mine won't be one of 'em. Still, it's a good problem for a self employed guy to have so I better not complain. Hope y'all have a great time, and be safe  :motonoises: Steve

Bummer, Steve! We'll miss you but at least we now have someone to talk about!  >:D

The wife and I are thinking of leaving Wednesday after work and heading north, and catching a hotel somewhere along the way. I'm glad all you guys are going to be mixing it up with all those semi-trucks and tourists on I-75 and going through Atlanta. I rode 95 last weekend and won't miss the big slab for this one.

I'm planning on taking one of the many 2-lane roads north through GA that wind through fields of corn, soybeans, cotton and beans. Oops, I forgot the groves of pecans, with the big tall leafy green trees in row upon row. It's a very stress-relieving ride.

Granted I can only run 5-10 over in the 55 mph speed limit, but I am going towards Athens then 441 north from there. We will see you guys sometime up there. We're staying in Helen at the River Bend Motel & cabins.

davidsturgis said:
The wife and I are thinking of leaving Wednesday after work and heading north, and catching a hotel somewhere along the way. I'm glad all you guys are going to be mixing it up with all those semi-trucks and tourists on I-75 and going through Atlanta. I rode 95 last weekend and won't miss the big slab for this one.

I'm planning on taking one of the many 2-lane roads north through GA that wind through fields of corn, soybeans, cotton and beans. Oops, I forgot the groves of pecans, with the big tall leafy green trees in row upon row. It's a very stress-relieving ride.

Granted I can only run 5-10 over in the 55 mph speed limit, but I am going towards Athens then 441 north from there. We will see you guys sometime up there. We're staying in Helen at the River Bend Motel & cabins.
Understood.

Geography and extra distance dictate a bonsai run if we want to make it one day, and arrive at a decent hour. The cold beer will taste good upon arrival, help to unwind from playing with the big trucks and Ricky race car drivers in the Hotlanta 500.

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Bummer, dude.

I took you off of the list, so there. :nananana:

Thanks again for the last minute help on the throttle cables. I'm letting the bike cool down now, so I think I'll go across to the neighbor's beer tree and get me some wrenching fluid.

SteveJ. said:
bump

Steve W(Tavares)
Bill W.
Juan P
Daytona Mike(I think)
and one other, maybe

Count this sucker in....

See you all about 600 miles from here...have fun getting there, know it'll multiple after we get there!!

:103:
                                                      :72: 

:1rij:

Due to Swampy's no longer serving breakkie, looks like we get to go to a Waffle House for some smothered and covered.

I-75, exit 352, SR 40, Silver Springs Rd, NW corner. Down a block or so should be a Texaco on your right, at least according to Google Maps. We can gas up there, and the Waffle House is next door.

Same Bat time, same bat day. Thurs, 8am departure.

I was really looking forward to the corn beef hash at swampy's. :'( :'(

Hey Vic, what's your planned route?  I'm leaving Thursday from Warner Robins as well.  :beerchug:  I'm on the fence right now about whether to take I-75/400 3 hr ride thru Atlanta  vs the 4 1/2 hr ride on some nice backroads (maybe thru Gray, then Monticello, Social Circle, Monroe, Gainsville to Dahlonega). I'll prolly let the weather decide.

Victor Salisbury said:
SteveJ. said:
bump

Steve S
Steve W(Tavares)
Bill W.
Juan P
Daytona Mike(I think)
and one other, maybe

Hmmm, won't be able to join that crowd (probably make me ride way behind ya'll anyways  :)) )
I'll be departing from Warner Robins o'dark something, maybe?  Thursday so I'll blaze the trail for ya  ;)
hehehehehe
Hiya Vic.

Clear out the cops, OK?

Thanx.  :great:

Y'all enjoy the trip up. Mine was miserable last Sunday. Couldn't put the top down once.  :mad: Looks like the same for me Friday morning, 80% chance of rain coming out of ATL. Yuck.

Ride safe, see ya soon.

Mike