• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Time for a new pair of boots

gbyoung2

Well, looks like it's about time for a new pair of boots. My ancient TCX (Oxtar) touring/waterproof boots finally gave up the ghost on my trip up to the NE Area's Spring Fling last week when the flexible section on the LH side cracked and came apart. Nothing that some good duct tape couldn't fix, but after 10-15 years of use (and a few of non-use) I think I got my money's worth.

So, what are the boots of choice these day in a tall, waterproof, black touring style that won't break the bank?

I have a couple of pairs of Tourmasters, they have held up well for me and are comfortable plus they come in wide sizes.

Hi,
      I use SIDI Cobra Air. :great:

Pretty nice boot really! ;D

Comfy, Armour, and a BA look! :-X

Whats not to like? :-[

Attachments

• 2011-Sidi-Cobra-Air-Boots.jpg
    2011-Sidi-Cobra-Air-Boots.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 114
I wore touring boots for years. Now I wear Forma Adventures.

I wish I would have had them on when the idjut pulled out in front of me. I may have had less hardware in my ankles.

Fit American and wider feet really well, Walking comfort and no break in. I might consider their Terra also as it has a welted sole that can be replaced.  THey look bulky but are comfy and protective...and no more zippers. They make a low version as well.

for_15_boo_adv-blk.jpg
Adventure_Low_JPG_BLACK1_grande.jpg

Harry76 said:
I have a couple of pairs of Tourmasters, they have held up well for me and are comfortable plus they come in wide sizes.

^^^^^  +1.  Tourmasters are comfortable, and they are one of the few boots that are offered in a wide.  I'm five years in on a pair that cost a little under $100 new.  No complaints.

Max said:
back to the TCX, the x5 goretex have lasted me 3 years plus with no sign of giving up.  impressed me enough i bought a pair of the evo goretex to go with them.

these are a bit lighter to wear and on the wallet

and the originals, still good. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tcx/x_five_evo_gore_tex_boots_2015.html

Just what I've been looking for...Found them on Amazon.de (I'm in Europe) at a slightly better price.  Should be here by next week....
BTW, the same site you pointed out has the TCX boots with goretex in ladies sizes (very limited sizes) at a closeout price.  I picked up a pair for the wife and she loves them. :great:

I used TCX boots for years myself and love them. TCX makes a great boot.
But their a bit pricey.

All of these brands are excellent, Sidi, Tourmaster...

At the present, I went w/ Built from CycleGear. Features vs. price... couldn't beat it.
I'm on year 3 on the same pair now. But, they are ventilated for summer, and offer NO waterproofing or Gortex. I have a pair of Puma's for the wet weather. BUT, not well ventilated for hot weather, so it's a trade off.

Seems to be the case for most boots. Great for the wet? Your feet burn up due to lack of ventilation when the sun comes out. Great for hot weather? Ride through a sudden downpour and end up miserable with wet feet. Not sure what's best for both situations.

But, as Freebird6 said... ADV boots might have saved his ankles from a lot of trauma when he crashed.
I have a friend who was riding home after dark from my place a few months back when he suddenly came up on a dead deer in the road. He swerved to miss it, and his left foot struck the deer carcass.
He was going about 30 mph at the time, and was wearing heavy duty "combat-type" cruiser motorcycle boots. It still ripped the sole completely off the boot, badly bruising his foot and ankle. But no broken bones. Close call, for sure.

Choosing good footwear for riding a motorcycle is not as easy as it seems.
There's a lot to take into consideration.
Bob

Dress for the Fall, not the Ride.  :beerchug:

I just picked-up a set of SIDI Adventures.  Wow, just fantastic boots!
Not cheap admittedly, but these were an investment.

Great proctection, and really fantastic fit and comfort str8 outta the box.

Def. a trade-off between breathability, h2o proofness, and safety.
Is a little hot better than a broken ankle??? 

good luck.

freebird6 said:
I wore touring boots for years. Now I wear Forma Adventures.

I wish I would have had them on when the idjut pulled out in front of me. I may have had less hardware in my ankles.

Fit American and wider feet really well, Walking comfort and no break in. I might consider their Terra also as it has a welted sole that can be replaced.  THey look bulky but are comfy and protective...and no more zippers. They make a low version as well.

for_15_boo_adv-blk.jpg
Adventure_Low_JPG_BLACK1_grande.jpg

How do they run on sizes?

I've got the tan Forma Adventures for my ADV riding - but just wear what are commonly called SWAT boots for the Connie.  Yes, they're lace-up.  And yes, that's a PITA when you're in a hurry either taking them off or putting them on.  But, they're all-day comfortable, well vented (not at all waterproof) and provide great support.  And, I think they were $65 or so at the factory outlet stores nearby.
As for the Formas - they run true to size (for me at least - 11.5).

Much thanks folks. Looks like favorite boots are much like oil, religion, tires, and politics; everyone has an opinion.  :)

Because I've had really good luck with the Oxtar/TCX brand boots, decided to go with them again and ordered a set of their TCX X-Five WP Boots from M/C Superstore. The last pair lasted me 15 years (or more). I wore them in my commute to work every day, swapping them out for “street” shoes, then sticking them back on for my commute back home. They were also my normal riding boots that probably saw a number of trips cross country to places as far away as Duluth and MT. My dual sport boots are the Oxtar Infinity and they've definitely saved my (ankle/shin) bacon during a number of nasty git-offs.

Anyway, thank you again and will let ya'll know my opinion on this latest OTX version.

I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggybacking on his thread, but I have the same question since my old boots are well beyond shot.  does anyone have any experience with these tourmasters, particularly regarding waterproof ability?  I'm a bit concerned since it's Hypora rather than gore tex.  I have a pair of hypora gloves that are worthless for rain use.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Tourmaster-Street-Boots/Tourmaster-Solution-2.0-WP-Mens-Road-Boots/187735.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp14447928&gclid=CPKsw9Ke-MwCFUwvgQoda1wFvQ

Sport Rider said:
I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggybacking on his thread, but I have the same question since my old boots are well beyond shot.  does anyone have any experience with these tourmasters, particularly regarding waterproof ability?  I'm a bit concerned since it's Hypora rather than gore tex.  I have a pair of hypora gloves that are worthless for rain use.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Tourmaster-Street-Boots/Tourmaster-Solution-2.0-WP-Mens-Road-Boots/187735.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp14447928&gclid=CPKsw9Ke-MwCFUwvgQoda1wFvQ

Shoot no. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Sport Rider said:
How do they run on sizes?

True to size. Fit American feet well. I have had bicycling shoes and motorcycle boots from European and American manufacturers with varying success fitting. These fit the same as a New Balance or Asics athletic shoe. Toebox is ample and seems to be sized with that ample forefoot width most of us 'mericans seem to desire.

sport rider, i can answer that about the tourmasters, they are waterproof, Ive had 2 pair.  I would still be using them but the soles are thin and wore thru.  they are good waterproof riding boots but do not hold up to everyday use off bike, on bike i prolly put 50k on each pair thru some terrific thunderstorms and they always kept my feet dry.  if you have a 2e wide foot as i do,  go for the wide version.

+1

I've got the TourMasters and have ridden in the rain a few times and stayed dry, including this morning on the way to work.  They are fairly comfy for walking around in also, but I usually switch to other footwear to save the bike boots for biking.

Cold Streak said:
+1

I've got the TourMasters and have ridden in the rain a few times and stayed dry, including this morning on the way to work.  They are fairly comfy for walking around in also, but I usually switch to other footwear to save the bike boots for biking.

That's what I did too, but occasionally left them on at work. There, they saw plenty of treks out to the Production floor. Very comfortable walking, which is one of the reasons I liked them (Oxtar/TCX) and hoping this new pair provides the same comfort and longevity.

Sport Rider said:

don't fear the Hypora material, when installed in good boots, they should be waterproof for many years...
I have a pair of M2R boots I got from Iron Poney 13 years ago, that finally gave out, the leather was nally splitting, but man, that's a good lifespan for a boot that cost me $70
I liked them so much, witghin the first couple months I bought an identical pair, because the product line was being closed out...
bummer part is, now with the "new" stored for 13 years boots... they fit tighter than the first ones did, because I did stretch them over the years I guess...
I just have to put the new ones on, and spend the day walking in the river and fishing..... then they should be fine... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beerchug:

Thanks mob.  For what it's worth, my favorite way to break in boots is to get them soaking wet and wear them until dry.  Done that to several pair of hiking boots that carried me lots of miles. 

AmphibSailor said:
Just what I've been looking for...Found them on Amazon.de (I'm in Europe) at a slightly better price.  Should be here by next week....
BTW, the same site you pointed out has the TCX boots with goretex in ladies sizes (very limited sizes) at a closeout price.  I picked up a pair for the wife and she loves them.
:great:

Got mine(X-Five plus Goretex) today.  Fit great right out of the box.  Paid 219 euro....(about $244).  My wife's was $59 (Newenough.com).  :)

BMW allround boots have been excellent for me in all weather for 25K miles so far.

At the time I was unable to get tourmaster as they were constantly on b/o.

Girl in Kaw dealer recommended the allround. I have not been sorry despite the cost being about 1 1/2 times the tourmaster.

AmphibSailor said:
AmphibSailor said:
BTW, the same site you pointed out has the TCX boots with goretex in ladies sizes (very limited sizes) at a closeout price.  I picked up a pair for the wife and she loves them.
:great:

Got mine(X-Five plus Goretex) today.  Fit great right out of the box.  Paid 219 euro....(about $244).  My wife's was $59 (Newenough.com).  :)

Mine came in too from M/C Superstore...... about the same price in $$ with free shipping. Also fit fine right out of the box, but will go through the break-in routine to limber them up and "custom form" them to my feet.  :)

Just got a pair of Alpinestars web goretex boots. They are replacing a 20'yo pair of Alpinestars goretex boots. I thought they would be equivalent, but the new boots seem to made do much different leather. And they are very stiff. We'll see....  ( didn't see the need to start a new thread.)

Size 11 vented Tourmaster for summer use with thin socks

Size 12 rain Tourmaster for winter and rain with wool socks over thin socks

TCX and Sidi look like safer boots but the Tourmasters have been pretty good in terms of wear and comfort. I need to consider a new boot for track use. Hope they're more comfortable than a one-piece suit :eek: