• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tips for Packing for Longer Rides?

oldsmoboat

In late August, I'll be going on my first "long" ride.  I'll be gone two weeks, riding single up.  We'll be in riding from California to Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and back.

How do you guys pack?  I assume clothing in layers to cover all temps?  (I always take too much clothes when I fly.)

I have the saddlebags, top case and a waterproof bag I will secure to the seat behind me.  I hope it will double as a backrest. I have a magnetic tank bag available too.  One saddle bag will be full of tools, spare parts and rain gear.  On my Larry Buck dash I will have a GoPro and a GPS.

No camping, staying in my brothers condo or hotels.

Thanks.

Personally, no matter how long I travel for, I bring clothes for 4 days and find a laundromat to wash them on the road if my trip is longer than 4 days.  Since you'll be staying with your brothers and at hotels, that shouldn't be too hard to find.  Some hotels even have laundry facilities.  I just find that bringing more clothes only weighs me down and takes away from available space for other things I consider important like camera equipment and more often than not full camping gear.

Just figure out what your priorities are.  In my experience, we always bring way more than we actually need.

Enjoy your trip !

4 days sounds about right. 3 pr of gloves. Hot cool and cold weather. Tire plugs/patches. Compressor and the tools to repair. Fuses and bulbs. Cooling vest. Lots of water and road nibbles. Grab those bananas and apples from the hotel bfast. Paper maps. Face screen cleaner and microfiber towels. 1st aid kit. TOILET PAPER!  :great: Lip balm, sunscreen, advil, tumms. And don't forget if you know where you will be you can always use UPS and FEDEX to ship forward or back. Oh Yes. Most important. The member handbook. Have a great ride!

My wife and I use hiking clothing and gear. As stated, 4 days worth works well. This stuff can be washed in a sink and drys over night.
We only take 2 pairs of jeans, and 2 pairs of gloves each. Electric gear is great if you have it and expect colder temps. We have traveled
2 up for 3 weeks, and carry a bike cover with us. And that leaves the trunk empty for throwing stuff in at stops.
I am envious of your trip! Have a great timer!  :motonoises:

Same here.  Zip off pants under riding pants, moisture wicking shirts.  Sounds like you have it figured out with your setup.  I don't have a trunk, but I use a soft side cooler/ice chest with a plastic insert.  It is nice to have cold food / snacks / water on the road, and to haul beer at the end of the day!  :beerchug:

Rain Dancer said:
My wife and I use hiking clothing and gear. As stated, 4 days worth works well. This stuff can be washed in a sink and drys over night.
We only take 2 pairs of jeans, and 2 pairs of gloves each. Electric gear is great if you have it and expect colder temps. We have traveled
2 up for 3 weeks, and carry a bike cover with us. And that leaves the trunk empty for throwing stuff in at stops.
I am envious of your trip! Have a great timer!  :motonoises:

I use large ziplok bags for clothes and roll/ press the $hit out of them to remove air. They compress well, and they can be loaded into the different shaped recesses of the C10 bags. Add a couple of those $.99 reuseable grocery bags for transporting clothing bags in and out of the hotels. We've done two up hotel travels like this with only a tank bag for utilitarian stuff, phones chargers lightweight rain gear, etc. We usually travel in warm regions on long trips so flip flops for casual wear.Now we have the top case I'm sure we can do without the tank bag and the GF will want room for a couple pairs of casual footwear :rotflmao:
You have more than enough space for one up. Put the lighter weighing stuff in the top case.

In my experience, we always bring way more than we actually need.

My experience has been the same, but I'm getting better!

Don't worry too much about forgetting something.

There's always a Walmart along the way to pick up toothpaste or extra underwear you forgot to pack.

The other thing that helps me is to not wait until the night before I leave to start getting my stuff gathered together.

extra pairs of gloves of the same type.  when it rains, that's my weak point.  it's nice to be able to put dry gloves on after the rain stops...or even the next morning if they don't dry overnight.

I have been know to over pack as well.  My problem is that I have to strap my 'casual footwear' outside of my bags or all my clothes began to stink!

Take older worn-out t-shirts and underwear.  After you've used them to the extent planned, toss them rather than carrying them on home.  This frees up space and helps clean up the old 'inventory' at home.

Hey Mike, not to sidebar this conversation...but that's easily remedied!  Take a sock, and fill it with baking soda.  toss it in the shoes.  It will absorb all that.

This is a great thread.  I have yet to be able to take any long haul trips, and this is something that I've been wondering about.  Too little, too much, wrong content...bla bla. 

Some basics I usually pack:
4 of everything for riding clothes, Dri wick shirts, LDComfort riding shorts, Dri wick compression socks.

individual detergent pouches to clean in sink, hiking boots, shorts, Jeans, T-shirt x 2, light jacket, Flops, PJ shorts, Spare gloves, Shaving kit w/drugs, Travelers TP, wash clothe, sewing kit, skull cap, hat, swim trunks, Kool tie, zip bags and compression bags to pack the clothes, personal first aid kit.

On long trips I have actually sent clothes ahead to the hotel I am staying at. And then send back stuff I have used or picked up along the way. I have a top case on the back and a waterproof duffel bag I bungee on the passage seat.

MizzouMike said:
Same here.  Zip off pants under riding pants, moisture wicking shirts.  Sounds like you have it figured out with your setup.  I don't have a trunk, but I use a soft side cooler/ice chest with a plastic insert.  It is nice to have cold food / snacks / water on the road, and to haul beer at the end of the day!  :beerchug:

I like that idea! Maybe a collapsable cooler......but my wife is very good at finding us places to stay within walking distance of a local pub.  :beerchug:

We only have the trunk on the c10. The FJR we just use the side bags and a tank bag, The trunk makes the trips that take us from places like
Newfoundland to Arkansas easier with all the "clothes on then off" bit...BTW, that is RIDING clothes!  :rotflmao:

This was packed for a 1 month trip alone, and I was camping (the bag on the seat was a borrowed Arctic sleeping bag...HUGE!)

Attachments

• Casier Hwy.jpg
    Casier Hwy.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 173
All good
From the old guy side
Dont forget your meds
If you can keep them in the original containers it may prevent problems(ask Fais)
Use the tankbag for daily stuff

Great advice on meds in original container, that could cause you a long delay and probably not in a nice place.

Great tips everyone, thanks!
I do keep my meds in the original containers, but I add aspirin, Aleve and antacid tablets to that container.

Wife and I have taken some trips, longest about 10 days. We took about 4 days' worth of clothing and did laundry at hotels. We did pack light, fitting all in the bags, a small tailbag, and some items in the tankbag (water, snacks, camera, and a bedsheet for naps at rest areas.
Take nothing with cotton. Moisture wicking shirts, underwear, and good sock. Stuff dries much faster and you'll be more comfortable.
As for outerwear, we took our mesh jackets that have full.liners, and fleece jackets. That covers from hot to the 40s temperature.
Sounds like a nice adventure - have fun!

Jorge

I pack 4 days of Moisture wicking shirts, underwear and socks. Moisture wicking cloths wash real easy in a hotel sink if need be & dry out real fast. Also since they stay dry they don't get "funky" as fast as regular cloths & you "could" wear them more than 1 day if needed  :beerchug: 

I agree totally with the 4 days worth of clothing... Somemore advice..no cotton underwear, pick up some underarmor or other brand wicking undies...the reason is cotton undies when they get wet stay wet and that means your skin stays wet, and that can cause some problems in delicate areas.... Take layers so you can add or subtract clothing as needed to match the temperature.  Extra gloves are a good idea too.  I am on several meds and also have to deal with an ostomy, so that means other things I have to pack along, but I have a system for dealing with that.  Always write down your prescription numbers and keep them in a different place than your meds so incase heaven forbid you loose a bottle of meds along the way...that way you can go to the pharmacy and give them the number and get replacement meds.

On another subject, if your going to Montana be sure to ride the "Going to the Sun highway" in Glacier National Park, one of the best place I have ever ridden.. Here's a link to a video of that road...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ful4qN1J7tc

notsluggo said:
Take older worn-out t-shirts and underwear.  After you've used them to the extent planned, toss them rather than carrying them on home.  This frees up space and helps clean up the old 'inventory' at home.

THIS!  I pack half the days cloths I will be out, wear pants 2-3 days in a row, change T shirts and socks every day.  Throw out old underwear and buy a pack at Wally world when needed.  You'll be going there anyway for something you forgot.  The laundromat is your friend.

Bike related things and rain gear go in the saddle bags.  I also pack a bike cover just to cover for the motel parking lots.  Adds another step to a determined thief.  Personal things in a large bag strapped to the seat follows me into the hotel every night.  Truck on the back for extra storage and gifts bringing back home to the family.  I don't pack things as tight as I can get them.  I don't camp.

A wise motorcycle traveler once told me, pack everything you think you'll need, then put half if it back.

I have a guide that AMA sent out. Definitely some tips mentioned here in this thread covered in this guide but also much more! I would attach it but it's too big of a file to attach for everyone to use, so if you're interested PM me your email pls and can send you the file directly.

Everyone pretty much covered it, 4 days of clothing, all synthetic, pair jeans and a nice shirt in case I want to go out for dinner. I will carry my electric jacket liner, even in the summer especially for the locations your riding in. You get some rain in elevation and it can get cold quickly.

Couple things not mentioned is to have some type of towing service, multiple if possible. I usually carry a pint of something just in case there is nothing available at the hotel.  :beerchug:  Also, I carry some spray to clean my wind screen and my helmet visor.

I tend to collect a lot of change when I'm on the road, I use an empty round gum container to throw all my change into, helps keep things organized plus I'll use the quarters when I wash cloths. Speaking of washing cloths, I carry these Purex Laundry Sheets (or similar), they pack flat and have detergent on the dryer sheet, you just through it in with your wash and then it turns into a dryer sheet when you transfer to the dyer.

One thing we have been doing in the last few years is carrying a camel back to drink from. Helps you keep hydrated. We'll flavor the water with Crystal Light Packets and add ice in the morning and at lunch to keep it cool.

Have fun on your ride.

Forgot one thing, contact your insurance provider about travel insurance on your policy.  BIL owns an Allstate franchise who I insure through (no discounts).  He told me about travel insurance.  It was under $10/month and I could carry it for just the month I was out.

Covered emergency hotel stays and a few hundred bucks for incidentals, towing, etc.  For just a few bucks and not having to carry it all year it was cheap peace of mind.

I never carry 4 days worth of clothing. Two sets. You can only wear one at a time. Maybe a good shirt as well. Underwear can be washed out every day if needed. I usually take a couple extra socks.  Wicking for sure when riding. Shoes are the thing. They take up a lot of space. I wear my riding boots and take one pair of shoes. If you are in a hot area a pair of sandals don't take a lot of room. If you are moteling it, they almost always have a hair dryer. I wash socks and stick the dryer in them. Takes a few minutes and they are dry. Boots too. No matter what I take, I never use it all. And I use the lack of space as an excuse to not buy gifts on the road! Works....

We use Space Bags that you roll us and push all the air out of when we pack the bikes. Keeps stuff small and it's an extra layer of weather protection for our gear.

Wicking clothing dries nice and quick so it's a no-brainer- wash at night dry by morning.

kathybrj said:
We use Space Bags that you roll us and push all the air out of when we pack the bikes. Keeps stuff small and it's an extra layer of weather protection for our gear.

Wicking clothing dries nice and quick so it's a no-brainer- wash at night dry by morning.

Space bags?

Sailor_chic said:
kathybrj said:

Space bags?
I assume she means this: http://smile.amazon.com/SpaceSaver-Premium-Jumbo-Vacuum-Storage/dp/B00X8KSKF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461628131&sr=8-1&keywords=vacuum+space+storage+bags

Leaving for 2 months on Sunday. 2 pair of cycling compression pants/shirt which can be sink washed and dry in 3 hours hung up. Leathers. Rain suit. Electric liners. Leather gloves: light, heavy, waterproof. 3 pair of socks, non-cotton, wash/dry like cycling stuff. Personal stuff. First aid. Air pump. Tire repair. Tool kit. 1 pair jeans and sneakers. 4 graphic t-shirts. Cap. Sun block. Bug repellant.

ChrisD said:

+1 on the space saver bags...  Don't get the vacuum bags, get the ones you can 'roll' the air out . (sm/med sizes)
One up gives you room for a dry bag on the pillion... add a trunk, and you can load that bike up
with LOTS of stuff.  I get all my camp gear, tool pack, and 5 days clothes on my C-10.  If I stay
in a hotel (happened once)... I take all the luggage into the room with me... gives you a chance
to 'readjust' yer stuff...  find things you thought you lost, etc.

Saw a x? hundred tips show on TV. One of the topics was fold vs. roll to pack identical piles of clothes.
Roll won big time.
Guess da wife was right.

Shh!

oldsmoboat said:
In late August, I'll be going on my first "long" ride.  I'll be gone two weeks, riding single up.  We'll be in riding from California to Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and back.

How do you guys pack?  I assume clothing in layers to cover all temps?  (I always take too much clothes when I fly.)

I have the saddlebags, top case and a waterproof bag I will secure to the seat behind me.  I hope it will double as a backrest. I have a magnetic tank bag available too.  One saddle bag will be full of tools, spare parts and rain gear.  On my Larry Buck dash I will have a GoPro and a GPS.

No camping, staying in my brothers condo or hotels.

Thanks.

We'll be in the same general area close to the same time. Thats cool.

I'm going to pack pretty light.  I have LDcomfort tights ready to go.  Shirt/pant both are long sleeve/pant for prevent chaffing.  CHAFF PREVENTION is a major concern.  If you are wearing a full suit or one with armor, anything heavy it will chaff your knees most likely, as it does me.  The tights' will prevent it.

PLUS you don't have to pack a bunch of underwear.  Throw on some loose shorts and you can still go out for a burger and not scare the natives.  I'll probably still pack a couple pair though as it takes up almost zero room.