• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire combo suggestions for country and dirt roads?

Foolondahill

Tricycle
Soon to be new owner of a 2001 Connie, moving up(?) from a KLR650. I've ridden the KLR everywhere, commuting, ADK trips, cross country. Tried different front rear combos and spent the last three sets with Avon Gripsters. This was because my riding was more 90/10, pavement, dirt/gravel roads. Knowing that the Connie is going to be a new experience all together, but will still encounter the occasional 'way out in east bumphuck' of a country road, is there anyone who has ridden heavier bikes in less than stable conditions on purpose and has wisdom to share on this topic?

Any thoughts, comments, advice is greatly appreciated.

many guys have problems with the c-10 in paved parking lots. There should be alot of info in that statement for you. Good luck, Steve

Well, if you are an expert dirt rider, and could shave say, three hundred pounds off the Connie, and get about eight more inches of ground clearance, and lower the center of gravity by a foot or so, then I would say.....still "NO".

I have both KLR and C10.  I have had the C10 off road on gravel(small like half of Co. has) before and it does fine as long as you treat it like ice.  Mud is really really bad on the C10.  It builds up under the front fender and will lock up the front end.  In my book the only time to take the C10 off pavement is when the GPS makes you and its shorter to try it then turn back, its dry and its flat.  Even then it is not fun and not good. 

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
many guys have problems with the c-10 in paved parking lots. There should be alot of info in that statement for you. Good luck, Steve

I don't even own the Connie yet, and I get advice from a Connie celebrity. Woo hoo!  Thanks, Steve.

I put lots of gravel miles on my C10 before I got the C14 I believe it was PR2s then.  I really did not have issues, did not try mud, but many many plain old gravel roads.  Loose grip on the handlebars and look down the road. I have driven on ice and gravel roads are much better. I would at minimum get a fender extender as the radiator takes a beating.

LSGiant said:
I put lots of gravel miles on my C10 before I got the C14 I believe it was PR2s then.  I really did not have issues, did not try mud, but many many plain old gravel roads.  Loose grip on the handlebars and look down the road. I have driven on ice and gravel roads are much better. I would at minimum get a fender extender as the radiator takes a beating.

Haven't done much mud, even with the KLR, so no worries there. I'm not going to hunt down a seasonal road, just want to be prepared for it when a paved one suddenly runs out at some unknown town border. 

Can you stand up on the c10?  (Why is everyone giggling?)

I think I stand on the C10 more than anyone I have noticed.  I do it just to stretch, just to air out, just to see over...  I maybe have done it once to drive more "dirt" like.  You can't save the C10 from a tip by putting your leg out.  Good way to get hurt.  Standing does not really give you more control like on dirt bikes.  I use the seat of my pants to get back in control almost literally.  I also know my bike has not been dropped and so there are no cracks in my peb brackets.  That is why many don't stand.  If a peg snaps while standing bad days happen.