• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire Mounting cost?

JerBear

What do people pay for this service?  I do not have the equipment and really don't wear out enough tires to justify buying it either.  I had a local guy that was real reasonable and I took them there, now he opened up a huge Powersports center and really jacked his price.  I like his techs, they don't gorilla my rims, don't screw up my tpms and they do it right away.  Heck I even buy my tires from him knowing I could get them cheaper online.  I started out having a different shop changing the tires with them doing the entire job WOW :41: that was pricey so I asked "If I took the rim off and brought it in how much would it save me?"  That's much better but now those prices are climbing.

Anyway, as to not skew the answers, I won't say what I paid. What do other C14 tire changes cost some of you out there especially if you purchase tires there?

JerBear said:
What do people pay for this service?  I do not have the equipment and really don't wear out enough tires to justify buying it either.  I had a local guy that was real reasonable and I took them there, now he opened up a huge Powersports center and really jacked his price.  I like his techs, they don't gorilla my rims, don't screw up my tpms and they do it right away.  Heck I even buy my tires from him knowing I could get them cheaper online.  I started out having a different shop changing the tires with them doing the entire job WOW :41: that was pricey so I asked "If I took the rim off and brought it in how much would it save me?"  That's much better but now those prices are climbing.

Anyway, as to not skew the answers, I won't say what I paid. What do other C14 tire changes cost some of you out there especially if you purchase tires there?

If I purchase the tire from my local bike shop they charge $30 to mount. If I bring them the tire (i.e., purchased elsewhere) then price is $65.

An independent shop in the St. Louis area charges $35-$45 mounted and balanced if you bring your own tire and the wheel off the bike.

If you have a 2-3 friends with motorcycles and/or ATVs it might be worth pooling your funds to purchase a decent manual tire changer.  It really doesn't take too long to pay off if you're spending $70-$90 a year per person to pay off a tire changer and wheel balancer.  Just a thought.

My local power sports dealer charges $30 to
mount a tire, wheels off the bike.
Before this year, it was $20.

Mine went from $20 a rim off the bike to $62 per rim off the bike. I told them to stuff it. I bought my own cheepo rim holder with bead breaker, new longer No Mar spoons, and a good static balancer; and do them myself now.

I see a trend here... it was 20$ off the bike until this season.  Now it's $35 ::)  My tire change interval is about once a year so it won't break the bank but it took him 25 minutes for both and 70 bucks a half hour is a bit much IMO

I have never bought tires from them or used there service so I have no hands on experience. Cycle Gear will mount & balance tires for free if you purchase tires from them & bring in your wheels.

Some quality tire irons & a static balancer is really all you need. I mount 3 -5 sets a year this way & it's really not a big deal.

Cliff  :beerchug:

At K&N Motorsports here in Tulsa it's $25 a tire, wheels off the bike.  No relation to the K&N performance parts manufacturer, they're just a local shop.

A local monkey wrench here- working out of a pretty nice home garage/shop charges $30 bucks each when you bring him the wheel, BUT, you must take the old tire with you or he charges you a $10 disposal fee....I might buy a No-Mar in the future or even something powered/used for cars/pick-ups too

I found a great deal here in Kirkland WA east of Seattle.  Andrew charges $20 per tire if it's off the bike and $25 if it's on the bike for mounting and balancing.  I order on-line and can have them delivered to his shop if I want to.  Then call to make an appointment and he does it while I wait.  Charges $2.50 to dispose of the old tire.
www.andrewsmechanic.com

Dealers here get $65 if on the bike and $35 if you take the wheels in. Indy shop does $45 on bike and $35 just the wheels. Harbor freight tire changer and nomar spoon has paid for themselves after the first change. And I am faster.
Don't do the zip tie tire removal thing. It sucks.
I average 2-3 changes a season so it can get costly letting the dealer do them

I have been taking mine in to a local shop for 30 years and the price has ranged from 25-35 dollars. However the last time I brought my front tire in to get changed I was told that from now on if I didn't buy the tire from them they would not mount it. So now I needed a rear tire (Pirelli Angle GT-A) I called them up and they did not have it in stock and would need to be ordered and would cost about $70 more than I could get it online. I am not going to pay over $100 to get a tire mounted and balanced. I just put my new tire on yesterday with my new No-Mar Classic tire changer and static balancer.

$37.00 to join COG you get cool magazine and all kinds of other stuff and more than likely a tech session near you where members will "help" you change your tire.

Has happened every spring in Minnesota for the last 10 years and lots of other places for longer than that.

Just had a rear tire mounted here in Greensboro.
Dealer charged $55.00 (brought in my own tire). $ 40.00 if you bring in the wheel

Does anyone know what a pneumatic powered tire changer for motorcycles would cost, is it just a regular car one with an adapter? I've done a few sets of car/truck tires before and I see them pop up on Craigslist from time to time....I'd love to go this route if the cost of entry is reasonable. What are the Rock-Stars like SISF or Fred Harmon using/doing? I see, and have considered, the No-Mar's on Ebay for $525+$65 s/h and thought about jumping on one of those when Ebay does their 10% off/Ebay Buck deals.

PS
Just came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KERNEL-TC400M-B-Motorcycle-Bike-Wheel-Tire-Changer-Changing-Machine-/201735267111?hash=item2ef85be327:g:GEwAAOSwEzxYQJRk

Or this one, with FREE shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-W-M807X-Motorcycle-Tire-Changer-Free-Shipping-/332311900633?epid=1422963113&hash=item4d5f5531d9:g:u3kAAOSwLnBX2qnR

Thoughts??

NinjaBreadMan said:
I found a great deal here in Kirkland WA east of Seattle.  Andrew charges $20 per tire if it's off the bike and $25 if it's on the bike for mounting and balancing.  I order on-line and can have them delivered to his shop if I want to.  Then call to make an appointment and he does it while I wait.  Charges $2.50 to dispose of the old tire.
www.andrewsmechanic.com

Allmoto Tire here in Spanaway is 33 bucks off the bike for both rims. Don does them while I stand around and chat. He is 5 miles from me!

JerBear said:

I really hate that most of our profiles do not say where in the northern central area we are located. I live in St. Louis and have owned a No-Mar tire changer for close to 10 years. Anyone near me is more than welcome to either pay me a nominal $20 fee per wheel to change their tires with wheel off the bike or I can train you to use the machine and you can pay $10 rental fee to cover supplies.

Honestly even at one tire change a year if you are paying close to $70 front and rear wheel it would only take you a little over 5 years to pay for this machine if purchase alone.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cycle_Hill_Tire_Changer_p/tc-ch100.htm

This machine will do street or dirtbike wheel due to the clamping system of the wheel.

I also have a static wheel balancer so balancing is not an issue. Did I also mention that I work in their assembly department.

They also have a tire shop locally that if you purchase the tires from them and carry the rims in they will mount them for FREE other than a tire disposal fee I believe. If you do NOT buy the tire from them it is something like $70 per wheel or something crazy like that

I ask for $25 per tire, de-mount and mount & static balance.
If you bring the bike to me I will remove the rims for $10.
I should charge $10 recycling fee, I usually forget.

JerBear said:

The last time I paid for tires it was around 80$ For the pair a few years ago.

I have a NORMAR now, and I used a friends harbor freight changer for the 14 years prior to that. Any prices from 15+ years ago is not real relevant :)

I pay $25 for mounting at a local independent (We All Ride) retail with tiny shop in back, when I bring in the tire and wheel. It's less if you buy the tire from them.

That's in a California beach town where most prices are influenced by the coastal paradise premium -- so very glad to see that I'm apparently getting a deal!  :great:

Mine went from $20 a rim off the bike to $62 per rim off the bike. I told them to stuff it. I bought my own cheepo rim holder with bead breaker, new longer No Mar spoons, and a good static balancer; and do them myself now.

Ditto on that.

That's why I brought a own changer.
I have already lined up some dirt riders who change there tires
for the conditions and where they are riding.
Hope to break even by the end of the year.

1warlock said:
Ride Now In Gainesville, Fl, they will meet the best price you can find and change the tires at no cost.

Awesome. They also have a store in Ocala with apparently the same policy. I'll have to check 'em out on my next tire go around. Right now I have almost new tires mounted and a back up set.

I pay $35 and change at my local dealer for mount and balance.  This includes a $3 environmental fee and tax.

Ah SteveJ, your right Google says it's only 1792 miles, 19hr & 9 min's away.
After I get there it will be ready to change.

i have a small shop in my garage, have had for 50 yrs.. i get 22 each carry in for mount and computer spin  balance.  i get 70 for the set on the bike. i will not give my location as i am not trying to advertise, just a comparison.... :)

Seems like...well, it was last year...about this time...I paid $150 for front and rear mountings...using my balance beads...on the bike...a Nomad 1600...carry in tires...

Don't have that bike any more...but, pretty sure I'll look around more next time...

CRocker said:
Seems like...well, it was last year...about this time...I paid $150 for front and rear mountings...using my balance beads...on the bike...a Nomad 1600...carry in tires...

Don't have that bike any more...but, pretty sure I'll look around more next time...

Jeezus, that’s a ridiculous price to mount 2 tires AND no balancing...I’d be leaving a review, a BAD review to warn others!

Walked in my new tires, mounting and balancing was $33. Thats the going rate at AllMoto tire here in Spanaway. A bit more if you want to leave the old tires for recycling.

NoMar tire changer will pay for itself over time.
Anyone in SoCal SB mountains feel free to PM me if you need tire changing.

KnoxSwift said:
NoMar tire changer will pay for itself over time.
Anyone in SoCal SB mountains feel free to PM me if you need tire changing.

Agreed,

I have owned a No-Mar for close to 10 years now and it has paid for itself every year. Especially when I owned a Goldwing and the dealer was wanting $600+ for a set of tires mounted. I was putting tires on for $325 per set.

Hell I like them so much I even started working for them again this past year.