• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire Pressure Guages

atoughram

I just bought a Slime brand digital tire pressure gauge and set my tires to 42psi.  I had previously set them with a pencil type guage at 42 psi and they were both about 2psi low on the Slime gauge.  After setting them with the digital gauge, the tire pressure sensors read around 45psi while riding and got up to 48psi when warm. 

I'm not confident with the new digital gauge nor the pencil type gauges. 

Can anyone suggest an accurate gauge?

We had this discussion not so long ago and the conclusion was that Connie's TPS readouts were about the most accurate out there.

The TPS can or may not be totally accurate. It depends on your individual C14. Mine was pretty close. But I used the TPS as a warning aid instead of actual tire pressure. They were only to tell me if I was loosing air pressure. I tend to set the cold pressures with a good quality gauge. Then note the pressures on the TPS and make any necessary calculations to know pressures when riding. My C14 read about 1 PSI higher than actual. But like I said, the TPS is just to warn me of pressure lose. The gauge is for setting cold tire pressures.
    Anyway, there are some pretty good gauges out their. I personally like the RoadGear digital. http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauges-c-24_43.html    I have both the "Hi-Tec Digital Tire Gauge" and "Ready-To-Go Digital Tire Gauge". They are excellent. I normally use the Hi-Tec unit for home. And the Ready-To-G0 unit is my travel gauge.

I would agree with the Cap'n, when I add air when the tire is cold to 42 PSI it shows about a difference of +1 on the TPS. I have the Slime Digital Tire Gauge w/Extension hose and Comparison Memories. I think it is well built and accurate.  :motonoises:

Unless you can calibrate the pressure gauge or transmitter with an NIST-traceable gauge, you can't be absolutely sure of the accuracy of any of them, regardless of type/price.  Then again, I doubt 1-2psi variance is going to change ride/handling/wear drastically.  I think it's more important to check your tire pressure consistently with the same gauge regularly.

I like Accutire digital gages. I tried a Slime digital and checked it against a standard and found it to be off by almost 2psi.

All the Accutire digital gages I have tested have been dead on. I have 6 of them, and they all read the same and are very accurate. Amazon.com sells a key chain model I like for $6, and I've found even the cheaper Accutire gages are just as accurate as their more expensive ones.

Accutire MS-4652B
4148XCBNZ8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have been using a couple of Accutire digital tire pressure gauges for several years.  One is shape and best suited for automotive use and the other is designed for easier use on bicycles and works well for getting at motorcycle wheels also.  I have found that they compare well with each other and also to my wife's Cadillac CTS's TPMS readings so they seem to be accurate from experience.

I hope this was helpful.

+1 Cap'n again.

I've tried SO many gauges. . . many are just plain difficult to use on the stock C14 rims. Just got the Roadgear programmable and like it a lot.  http://roadgear.com/programmable-digital-tire-gauge-p-41.html?osCsid=a66231ffc3a99cb6fbee96c11190c7bc  This is the gauge I'll probably be keeping on the bike. I like the rotating valve.

The Roadgear showed 42 psi, and the TPS showed 42's F + R at the end of my street. About 0.7 miles later we had 43 F and 44 R. Later, F + R showed 45's. All relative, and all totally normal.