• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire Pressure Monitor Battery Replacement

Fred H.

FYI, I did some testing over the weekend of the OEM Tire Pressure Monitors, and I found that replacing the battery does NOT cause the sensor to loose it's ID value, and it still functions properly after the battery is replaced. However, it may go into a "sleep mode" that it needs to be awakened out of. For now, everyone's bikes should still be under the three year warranty, and if you have a sensor go bad, I would encourage you to pursue getting a dealer to replace it under the warranty. If you have a sensor failure happen AFTER your factory warranty has expired, and you would like to try to replace the battery yourself, contact me and I will try to walk you through the process.

I only know of one person in Australia who actually tried to replace the battery in a sensor, and he reported that it wouldn't work afterwards. I have been able to disconnect and reconnect the sensor battery and get it to function, but I used a TPMS transponder tool to "poll" the sensor after the battery was reconnected, and it worked and spit out the proper ID code. The one thing I have not been able to verify yet, is if the sensor goes into a deep sleep mode when the battery is disconnected and has to be awakened by polling it with a transponder, or if there is another way to wake it up. I'm still in the learning mode about how to make this work. I think the tricky part is going to be waking the sensor up once the new battery is in place.

Fred, I read your article in "Care and Feeding the C14" article in "The Concourier". Thanks for all the work and very helpful! If you have to replace the valve stem in the '09 C14, is there anything tied to the TPMS so that you have to program it? The dealer cost is about $ 40 for the new stem and it looks like there is a sensor on the stem. Thanks. bpm09C14

Hi Fred Just thought I'd let you know that when I took my '09 for a ride last week, the front TPS wouldn't register a pressure reading only a low battery warning. Just like you said, after a few miles of warm up it started to work then no other problems the rest of the day. It was right around 33 F and the bike had been sitting in a cold garage since December. No problem with the rear TPS. Kevin

Kevin my bike has had that problem for 3 winders now. The problem for me is I live 16 miles from dealer and to date the longest distant until it started working is about 4 miles. The older the bike gets the longer the TPS takes to work. also the colder it is the longer it takes to work. Started with the front first but move on, now it is the front and rear.

Thanks for the info Sammie. It's nice to know that this is typical of a bike that is stored in cold climates. I don't consider it a problem, just a minor inconvenience as long as functionality returns, in my case in only a few miles. Regards Kevin

This sounds like typical anode passivization of lithium batteries. A layer builds up on the anode and blocks current flow. Once some current begins to flow, the layer breaks down. The passivization layer breaks down more slowly at colder temps. As the battery gets older, it will get worse and worse until it eventually fails altogether. A slight delay in really cold temps might be considered normal, but if it happens more and more often, and at increasingly warmer temps, then your batteries are probably on their way out.