• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire Pressures with 17" Wheel Mod

My bike has the ZRX front end and I'm running 17" wheels at both ends.  Tires say 42 psi on their load rating data printed on the sidewall, but I've always run lower pressure in the front than the rear on other bikes.  Does anyone have any experience they can share on what pressure might work best in the front tire?  i know the manual says 36 and 42 psi for the stock wheels.

I usually run 40 front and rear on mine.  lower pressure means warmer tires which means better grip.  higher pressure the opposite.  I doubt most of us on the streets need to concern ourselves that much though.  :motonoises:

I had a service guy tell me 36 front 42 rear that's what I run no issues.  Running both 17's also.

"...Tires say 42 psi on their load rating data printed on the sidewall..."

that is maximum recommended pressure - not necessarily the recommended pressure for your current situation.

Cal

I run 38-40 psi front and back. My gage is in 2 psi increments so I keep the front one increment less around 38.

After a lot of experimentation I have found that running 36F/40R best for two lane mountain roads and 38F/42R for slab-droning (light or full touring load). The lower pressures add to the steering effort a little bit but picking and holding a line as well as traction confidence is much higher. BTW, I run PR4s.

Dan