• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire Profile Alternative

nando

Crotch Rocket
Is anyone using a different size (than the OEM) tire on the C14?

I was wondering how a higher profile rear would go with a loweing kit? Would it bring it back to pretty much standard height but then ride softer on the rear....maybe better bite?....last longer?

Lots have gone to a 55 series tire.

Less for the height difference amd more for the peakier profile to help turn in and holding the lean in a corner.

I plan on trying the 55 next tire change.

however, the 55 is gonna wander around more cause it ll be like riding on a pen point instead of a flatter surface...so for touring it may not be that helpful....the other consideration is that in hot twisties riding, the bike will fall into the turn more readily off of the pin-head point...but then it will take more effort to transiton back...and if the sequence requies  a counter lean then you gotta watch the quick fall to the other side....well, you hot rodders must be hip to all this stuff

nando said:
however, the 55 is gonna wander around more cause it ll be like riding on a pen point instead of a flatter surface...so for touring it may not be that helpful....the other consideration is that in hot twisties riding, the bike will fall into the turn more readily off of the pin-head point...but then it will take more effort to transiton back...and if the sequence requies  a counter lean then you gotta watch the quick fall to the other side....well, you hot rodders must be hip to all this stuff

:c029:  pin-point?

no, it does not 'fall' into the corner

Nando,

It sounds like if you want sporty.....try the 55 section.
If you want slower, more predicatable turn-in.......stick with stock sizing.

In the end you will adapt to whatever you have on there, be it a racing slick, or a higher mileage stone.

The only true way to find out is to try one and see for yourself.

The dynamics of flatter tires vs high profile--specially on the same size rim--result on either the bike wanting to sit more going straight, and require more energy to lean; as compared to the higher tire which will promote a more concave shape (I called the pin-point effect) resulting in quicker transitions but less surface going straight.

If you ever rode on a 240 plus you will note how much more extreme these dynamics are. A super wide tire like that wants to go straight; they sit on the highway very well and require a lot more pressure on the bar to prompt leaning...and the bike always wants to stand back up.

The minor change between the 50 and the 55 probably exhibits the same characteristics is a much more subtle outcome. I ain't promoting one or the other...I am only guessing that hot-rodders might get off more on the higher profile and the slab jockey might be better served by the 50...but whatever floats your boat is ok with me. I am just opening myself and becoming vulnerable here and sharing my emotions in this tire therapy group....don't mind me  :'(  I just think I am good enough and by God, I am worth it. 

Unless you change the height of the triple clamps the
same amount, a taller/shorter rear tire will make a bike
steer lighter/heavier (quicker/slower) because it changes
the rake (angle) of the forks.
Unless you're working with extreme changes, width and
profile have very little to do with it.
Head angle is typically set by designers after tire size and
profile have been determined. This may be by convention
since there is very little new here.

I thought that dropping into a corner easy and coming out easy was due to frontend suspension settings more so than tires?      This takes time to set up depending to your style.  You have to ride the same turns over and over and make your adjustment on the side of the road. Not when you get home.  Good Luck & DRIVE SAFE  HIGH SIDING HURTS!! :motonoises: :motonoises:

Just a conversation here:
When I was a windinger I was intrigued by the various hot-rodders that took a Wings to Deals Gap scrapping the muffler hauling butt around those curves. There are a couple of awesome vids around on that.

In my view, the C14, though a superb handling machine,  is actually a heavy handling front end--especially, compared to a lighter low suspension RT. But in this community, there are also hot-rodders who want to take the C14 to the limit...must be the adventurous gene in the humanoid construct.
Personally, if I was into 'hot' riding, I would get a crouch rocket and hit the tracks. Seem like the most appropriate way to get my cookies off on that style of riding, and where one can improve skills doing that.

I actually have stopped riding with a great bunch of guys who like to haul-a$$ through twiesties...the problem being, in public roads you never know when a dog, an oil spill, a kid, a jogger, is gonna appear around a blind curve...or an AsWhole driving in your lane on the oncoming.

Story: There is a mountain (with twisties) around my neck of the wood where the habitat-citizens put sand and oil on the road cause they are sick and tired of people hot-rodding bikes and 'drifting' in cars...I wont even ride there anymore though its a beauty of a ride...

You all drive safely now, hear!...its drunk season!