• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire recommendation

Bigben

Scooter
I've been running Dunlop 205's for the longest, but I want to switch now to either Avon, Metzeler or others. I need a set that's good for high mileage. Any recommendations? Thank you, Ben

I recently installed a new set of Avon's following the recommendation of some other local riders. I like them... but I lack the ability to offer a comparison since I've only had the one set of tires and replaced an over-worn set.

The best mileage is likely to come from tires sized for the Honda GL1500 Goldwing. This would include the Michlein Pilot GT, Metzler ME880, Dunlop Elite 3 and Avon Venom. These are (mostly) bias ply tires and will definitely change (slow) the steering feel of the Concours. Many members, who do not wish to surrender the quick turn-in of radials, use a combination of the Avon Azaro and Avon Storm. These tires will not give you great tire mileages. Tires, like most things in life, are a compromise. The Metzler ME880 Marathon wears like iron at the expense of wet grip and quick handling. The Avon Azaro/Storm offer excellent handling (wet or dry) at the expense of tire mileage. Doubtless there will be many other opinions on this topic as tires and oil generate the greatest amount of discussion. I personally have used Michlein Pilot GT and the Metzler ME880. The GT offered better handling, the ME880 better mileage. I've just gone to the Avon Azaro/Storm to return some of the Sport to my Sport Touring. I do this knowing I'll be replacing tires more often.

There is a new tire just on the market from SHINKO. It's the "757". It's replacing the older "747". I have no idea about grip, wear or ride. I ran across them looking for a set for my '06. They look like this. Rear.
0000-Shinko-757-Journey-Touring-Rad.jpg
Front.
0000-Shinko-757-Journey-Touring--1.jpg
They are a 5ply RADIAL. Size-130/70/18 Front, 160/80/16 Rear. Same size as the Pilot GT's. Just some info.

I second the opinions of Ranger Jim, except the wear out rate of the Avons. I put the Azaro/Storm combo on my bike, they handle great & I got 20K out of the rear & will probably get 8 to 10K more on the front before it has to go. Don

Hawkeye you are a very rare exception for Avon Azaro mileage. Your mileage is way beyond what the average guy reports. From that point of view Ranger Jim account is accurate as to what most are seeing. Them Shinko 757 look interesting. Radial Tars in Pig Wing size. Dang. I have used Pilot GT and ME880's in the past and agree with Jim as well. GT's are a great balance between mileage and performance. If I was going strictly mileage would probably try Avon Venoms. I believe that is Avons bias ply Gl1500 tire. I have ridden with the Elite 3's and I thought they handled really slow like the ME880s. Pilot GT's were a much better balance. Currently using D205's. 2003 Concours, 58K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I have used the Me 880s and they wear like iron, but slide around in the wet as others have said. Only other tire I have used is the Bridgestone BT45V and love it. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6015/ITEM/Bridgestone-Battlax-BT45V-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

James R Theaker asked:
I have been gone for a while so i am out of touch, but what size azaro and storm are you using
The Storm front is a 120/70 18, and the Azaro rear is a 150/80 16. As for mileage, I've just mounted a set I don't expect high miles from. I just put on a set of Bridgestone BT45Vs, 110/80 18 front and 150/80 16 rear. These things are grippy. :)

Charlie, I have 8000+ on my first set and there is still some tread left on the rear. The front is about 50%. I am changing the rear tomorrow because of the "Bun Cooler" ride in a couple of weeks. Probably a couple of 1000 left on it but don't want any surprises on a trip. But then you've seen me ride and know I don't even approach the limits of the conk. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I doubt that you are going to find a better "bang for your buck" than with the D205's especially when you are looking for a matched set of tires.

+1 on the D205 Dunlops. I've used them for the last 60K miles and have gotten exceptional longevity. I don't recommend that anybody try to be as frugal as I've been when it comes to tire mileage. That being said, I've gotten like 27K out of D

Not sure if the thread is considered dead after 2 days, but I was hoping for some advice... Last year I replaced the OEM Dunlops with the Avon Azaro/Storm combo. I loved the grippiness but didn't like the new shimmy in the steering after having them installed. I took the bike back 3 times for rebalancing - shimmy persisted. I had the combo replaced based on a hypothesized "manufacturer defect" - shimmy was worse with the new set. After yet another rebalancing (and nearly three weeks later) I requested a new set of Dunlop OEMs and guess what NO Shimmy! I was told that the Concours is the first bike this mechanic has seen in 40+ years to require the OEM tires. Any thoughts??

That sounds more like your stem bearings are loose. I had some shimy at around 40-48MPH, after tightening up the bearings, no more shimy. The AVONs are a much better tire, so the shimy would be more noticable. Have been running the AVON combination for over 15k miles now and love it.

I've run the OEM Dunlops, Metzler ME880's, Michlein Pilot GT's and now have the Avon Azaro/Storm combo and have NEVER had any shimmy issues with any tire brand. I tend to agree with Robert on your steering head bearings.

WEll . . I just mounted Avons on my new to me, 03 connie & ran Avons on my previous machines . . & like them a lot . . Have found that they wear about average for me as other purchases . . But have really liked wet weather stick . . over other tires ~~ I do tend to sport about on my machines & don't want to be held back by weather

On my C10 have had the shimmy also appear after new tires. In general have had to tighten the steering head bearings about every 20-40k miles. Last adjustment was 128k miles last month. Over tighten and the steering won't center properly and the bikes wanders off straight line tracking. That sounds more like your stem bearings are loose. I had some shimy at around 40-48MPH, after tightening up the bearings, no more shimy. The AVONs are a much better tire, so the shimy would be more noticable. Have been running the AVON combination for over 15k miles now and love it. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA North GA AAD 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293