• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tire removal

membership

hello

I was wondering if someone knew how to remove the front tire on the c14 I think it is fairly straight forward but I swear a while ago there was a good description of the process if someone could tell me how to find that previous post it would be much appreciated I found the rear tire to be not so difficult now it is time to change the front tire so thanks for any help

charlie

If you're familiar with removing motorcycle tires, it's pretty straight forward, but you do have to be very careful not to damage a TPMS sensor.

First off, pay attention to where you break the bead, and don't use a bead breaker tool at the valve stem because that is where the sensor is, and a bead breaker will bust it.

Second, when you remove or install a tire, start with your tire tool about 20-30 degrees away from the valve stem, and work in a direction away from the stem. So if the valve stem is at 12 oclock, start at about 2 oclock and work clockwise with the bead.

Third, when installing the new tire and you get the first bead mounted, make sure that when the last portion of the bead is installed that the tire doesn't suddenly drop and hit the sensor and break it off.

Fourth, at all times during the install or removal, make sure that the TPMS sensor does not get pinched inbetween the tire bead and the rim. This is especially important when you are removing the second bead of the tire, and this is typically when the sensor will get broken. You have to lift the second bead OVER the sensor before you start to remove the second bead to make sure it doesn't get trapped between the bead you are removing and the rim.

I have a bunch of photos showing tire removal with SmartTire sensors here: (The process is the same for the C14 tires)
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/smartire

I also have a generic tire change gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

The process is also shown on my videos for the C14.

Here is a photo of lifting the second bead OVER the sensor before attempting to remove it from the rim so the sensor doesn't get trapped between the bead you are removing and the rim.

large.jpg

You are such a great help I really appreciated the info I guess I should have asked how to remove the wheel from the bike first is that explanation found anywhere

First off, it helps a lot to have something like the http://www.nomartirechanger.com/.  I just put PR3 on my C14's front and rear and a good tire changer really makes the job much easier and safer.  Although I have changed motorcycle tires with nothing more than tire irons and blocks of wood on concrete floor, I would gladly pay somebody else to do it, if I don't have a good tire changer.

Second, the C14 OEM TPM sensor swivels and "floats" on the valve stem, which helps minimize the risk of damaging it while changing tires.  However, the precautions that Fred mentioned still are valid and need to be observed.

Thirdly, on the front wheel, remove one brake rotor so you don't accidently bend it while muscle around with tire changing tools.  If you're a seasoned pro, you could do it without removing the rotor.  I personally would rather just eliminate that possibility.  On the rear, just flip the rotor side down and cover the open wheel bearing with kitchen plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil to keep crud off.

Finally, having a valve stem tool helps in letting air out quickly, and a good size air compressor helps with seating the new tire beads.

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted to remove the front wheel from the bike. For this procedure, I'd highly suggest using the service manual, especially for re-installation, because you'll need the torque valves.