• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire tread gone in center

drewski

Training Wheels
Hi folks, Have an issue with Metzler ME55A Metronic 150/80VB16V250 rear tire. (Metzler 110/80V18 ME 33 laser on the front) Have had the bike a few months and put on 2500 miles. Tires looked like they had plenty of tread when purchased, but I've been watching the middle of the rear tire wear down, now to the point where almost all the tread has disappeared, yet there's plenty of tread left on the sides. Been running 41-42 psi. Question: is this normal wear, and is it safe to keep riding on this tire?

Definitely not normal wear. I'd guess that your tire pressure gauge might not be calibrated properly, and that you're running lower on tire pressure than indicated. Either that or you have a defective tire. Is there any chance you can take the tire back to the dealer for a prorated refund? Something's not right somewhere. That said, the treads are there to evacuate water from under the tire. Probably not safe to ride on in wet weather unless you plan on riding in circles. Probably okay in dry weather, when you actually want the most tire contact with pavement at all times.

Wearing out the center indicates either a lot of "highway" mileage and/or too high a tire pressure (wear on the sides indicates too low a pressure). I would not think it normal UNLESS you're doing a lot of heavy acceleration and use your rear brake as the primary stopping force but even then I'd expect more miles out of it. Are you sure no one is borrowing your bike for burnout contests? :)

Seems like it says he just got the bike a few months ago and has put 2500 mi on it. We don't really know how many miles the tires had before that. Other than they looked good. Or did I miss something. At least for me, ( since I hardly ever measure the tread depth until they are worn down and I want to know ) they look good for a long time, and they just go down to nothing in the least 2500mi. 2003 Concours, 65K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Mine always were out the middle first. To much hwy to get to the twisties in Texas. Photos[/url]

No one has been doing burnouts that I know of, unless my land-lady is sneaking in the garage late at night and taking her out. Bummer on the treads, now I need to figure out what to replace it with. Looks like an Avon by what folks are saying here??? Comments about the stickiness of the metzler rears don't give me a lot of confidence in the twisties and on wet pavement, although I've only slipped once on some snakeskins on a 95* day. Anyone know if Avons will match up w/ Metler front?? I've got an unused Metzler front sitting in the garage from the sale, so maybe just stick with Metzler rear?

I have no idea how you ride so bear with me..... If a rider does not match engine RPM to rear wheel RPM reasonably well when upshifting/downshifting the rear tire suffers. I hear folks going by my house every now and then who let their engine essentially return to idle during a shift and then dump the clutch before getting on the gas. The rear tire will briefly skid under those conditions. So how old (not how many miles were on them) were the tires when you took ownership of this bike? The tires may be past their prime and wearing faster.

PO had the bike 2 years and put 800 miles on it. No service records from ppo, but I think the tires are discontinued. I could only guess at the age of the tires. Interesting on the downshifting / upshifting observation, I've never thought about that. I do get sloppy sometimes with the downshifting. Thanks for the heads up. Got a Metzler 880 on the way from another member, and maybe some help from another member in my area. Happy to be a part of COG. Thanks, Drew

The Metzler tires you have on the bike are bias ply so remember to replace with another bias ply tire.
Anyone know if Avons will match up w/ Metler front?? I've got an unused Metzler front sitting in the garage from the sale, so maybe just stick with Metzler rear?

If the tire is so old it is dry rotted then it could be waring out real fast from that. It is not safe if it is and should be changed out NOW. There is a way to get manf date from tire. Now where is that email... This is what I saved... "Last four numbers of the DOT number first two are the week of the year, last two digits are the year. Example: 4909 would be 49th week of 2009" Photos[/url]

The ME880 you are getting from another member will: 1. Likely require that you deflate it to be able to install it. 2. Wear like iron 3. Have (comparatively) less grip when cold (or the weather's cold) and wet conditions. The above comments are based entirely on my own experience with 2 sets of ME880's. YMMV. FWIW: I went to the Michelin Pilot GT (now discontinued but there are some still out there) and was MUCH happier. I gave up a bit of wear for significantly improved performance.

My 2000 connie needs new rubber,it seems to be allover the place; dunlop, metzler avon & michelin. Is anyone set of tires great all around?