• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Top Case questions

dinodanny

Is anyone using the large Kawasaki top case and if so does the color matched lid really cost a 160 bucks? The web site says that its required. I was also looking at the Givi E470 which looks like it is basically the same case but I have heard that it doesn't include the mounting plate. Is there a color matched lid available for it?

Not a real answer to your question, but I bought the Coocase from Twisted Throttle, and will be buying a rattle can of paint, matched to my 2010, and painting the insert myself.

What year and color do you have? I have 11 silver and I'm about to pull the trigger on a top case but not sure if the Shad Or Givi is the way to go on the color. It seems very hard to get info on-line about color matches although CapnBob on this forum has been a big help as always. I like both 46 cases, pros and cons either way. Have you had any luck in your selection?

I think I'm going to spend the extra bucks and go with the Kawasaki case. From what I can tell the Givi equivalent isn't available in the Neutron Silver and since the C-14 is such a beautifully styled bike I want it to look right.

sdmrcross said:
Hi, looking to buy a top case is there any post where it shows cases on our C14?
Thans!

If you have a particular brand or model in mind, I may be able to find some shots. But I don't think there is a thread in general just showing photo's of all the top cases.

Well I like the big Shad case it has great reviews in the forum, when I bought my bike a Kawasaki Rep. was a the store and he had this case on his concourse so I know how it looks but I do not know how comfortable will be for my wife,  I need comfort first since I will be traveling with her on our first motorcycle trip. Any suggestions will be very well appreciated!

Here are a couple of pics of my 2009 and my new 2011 with the Kawasaki small top bag with rubber back rest. Oh $50 extra for the back rest. And yes the color matched panel is expensive but lets them maximize their luggage inventory and keep the price down. Wait a minute, that top bag was small fortune. I tour with it empty and use it for my helmet, tank bag, and jacket storage when dismounted. Worth every penny! One up and full bags, including top bag and the twisties up the pucker factor X10.

Attachments

• CIMG0045.jpg
    CIMG0045.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 132
I decided on the Shad 50 after mega research. I called Mike directly at Shad and he said the 50 was a fine fit for the Concours. I searched and searched but everyone was out of stock so I asked him to find one for me and he referred me to Murph of all places. Since contacting Murph you will see he originally had only the 46 on the Concourse luggage tab and since has added the 50. I was considering the new 48 but Mike said the 50 would be his choice. Murph has the C14 bracket but he is having to direct ship the silver top panel from Shad for me. I should receive it mid week next week and if so my hat is off to Murph for coming through in a pinch. If you want to see pics do a google search of pictures of Shad 50 and on BMW forum there were plenty.

Kawi 47 liter trunk with Admore light kit here...  :13:

IMG00413-20110713-1853.jpg

brakelight.jpg

Here's a few shots of my Shad SH46 I had on my C14. I had the painted lid cover on it that I painted myself back in Aug 07, to match the bike. I did it with ColorRite cans. But it came out very well. The Shad 50 is also nice looking. Maybe we can find you a picture of a C14 with one of them on it. I'll look around some.

Here's an article on the Shad 50 on the C14. There is also a photo gallery. But two of the three photo's are in the article itself.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/gallery-6778.php

http://www.shadusaforum.com/t33-roadrunner-magazine-shad-sh50-kawasaki-concours-14

@ZG, do have a mounting plate or is the case mounted directly to rack?  A dealer told me that I do not need a mounting plate to mount the Kawi case.

peelandwin said:
@ZG, do have a mounting plate or is the case mounted directly to rack?  A dealer told me that I do not need a mounting plate to mount the Kawi case.

Yes, I have the mounting plate, and yes you will too if you go with the Kawi case. You can put it on or off in less than a minute with Phils t-nuts...  :13:

IMG00428-20110715-1945.jpg

Thanks ZG, I got the 47 L case quoted at 349 but when I asked about the plate he said I didn't need it and didn't offer a price.  Is that a good price for the case?

And I am also going to order Phil's rack w/ the t-nuts.

BTW, your bike is awesome ZG.

peelandwin said:
Thanks ZG, I got the 47 L case quoted at 349 but when I asked about the plate he said I didn't need it and didn't offer a price.  Is that a good price for the case?

And I am also going to order Phil's rack w/ the t-nuts.

BTW, your bike is awesome ZG.

The Kawi 47 trunk will come with the mounting plate, you don't need to order it separately. I see them on ebay often for $350 shipped including the outer skin, trunk, and mounting plate.

Thanks for the compliment brutha, happy hunting on the trunk!

I believe my case came with the bracket and assorted hardware needed to install. You will, however, have to purchase the color matched panel. Price is correct for the case add another $130 for the color panel.

elektra said:
I believe my case came with the bracket and assorted hardware needed to install. You will, however, have to purchase the color matched panel. Price is correct for the case add another $130 for the color panel.

Not sure what year/color the hunter is looking for but here's 2 on ebay right now for $350 shipped including mount and trim, one's red, the other black...

(I hear the black one will make you go faster...  :great:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-Rear-Trunk-Luggage-Bag-Red-Trim-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a1156d352QQitemZ180679529298QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-Rear-Trunk-Luggage-Bag-Black-Trim-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27bb037032QQitemZ170641289266QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

That ebay vendor is the one that I am purchasing from.  I emailed and asked about blue for my bike and he sent me a paypal invoice.

I just ordered it as a matter of fact.

peelandwin said:
That ebay vendor is the one that I am purchasing from.  I emailed and asked about blue for my bike and he sent me a paypal invoice.

I just ordered it as a matter of fact.

Congrats P!

I recommend getting the Admore light kit for it too, it's a pretty slick set-up and I was very pleased working with them, very cool guys, I was the 1st guinea pig for this set-up on the Kawi 47 liter!

The pic they have posted on their site is actually my trunk, literally.

http://www.admorelighting.com/index.php?page=products/index.php&subpage=8

Thanks streetglide for the info, I will call Mike at Shad and find a dealer who has stock of this cases, the decision is going to be difficult :)  Cap'n Bob beautiful pics!  The case looks amazing!

I mounted the Shad 50 and IMO it looks great. Murph came through as he promised. If you're looking for the Shad 46 or 50 Murphs Kits is the place to purchase. Easy mount with the Connie bracket that Murph carries.

I bought the large Kawasaki top case last year for my 2010. The dealer hadn't seen one before, so we ordered just the case, not the "optional" color match piece, as I thought I would look at the black case on my dark blue bike befoe shelling out that much money. Big mistake....case without optional lice shows extruded plastic, has trouble closing properly. Kawasaki shouldn't make this a choice...both should be sold together with buyer simply choosing the right color. I am happy with it but it took 15 months to get the right part sent...but that is another story.