• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tour B.C. - Resurrection. Ya can't keep a good ride down.

cogdave

I refer to this as Tour B.C. Resurrection because the tour B.C. concept started with my first one back in '98. It ran for a couple of years but then we moved on to other projects. Since then, other B.C. Coggers have picked up the ball for a year or two but Tour B.C. has been "in absentia" for a decade now.

It's back!!!

Short version - On May 26th, eight riders rode out from Chase at 8:30 A.M. and rode 583 km. returning to Chase home base approximately 10 hours later - smiling.  A mighty fire was ignited, meat was eaten, stories were told and assorted beverages were consumed. I can confidently say that a good time was had by all. The End.
Longer version -  On May 26th, Cheryl and I hosted seven riders from B.C. , Alberta and Washington. Charlie Gary, Wayne Wilson, Dan Paulsen and David Linden travelled from Washington while Kirk Araki rode in from Hope, B.C. and John Derick came over the mountain from Canmore, Alberta. Local rider Gene Kinzell joined us in the morning from just down the road in Vernon.
      We rolled on schedule Sunday morning at 8:30. After pre ride prep, we rolled just 15 minutes  west down Hwy. 1 to Pritchard. This is where the fun begins - an entertaining short warm up romp over Duck Range Road.  Dave Linden, new to the group and not really knowing what to expect, said that when we left Chase he wondered if we were heading to a funeral....." and then we hit this!! Holy crap, I guess we weren't going to a funeral". He was grinning like a Cheshire cat. Gene Kinzell anointed Duck Range Road as officially orgasmic. His highest accolade. I just call it a hoot and a half and a great way to wake everyone up and start the day right.
      At varying degrees, things just didn't let up for the next 10 hours flowing naturally between "spirited" and  "relax, catch your breath".  On the Zen side of things we even did a stretch through rural farmland which although seemingly strange for big sport touring bikes, just fit the group to a "T".
        Our back road ramble afforded us the luxury of completely bypassing Kamloops.  In laying out the route, I endeavoured to avoid city traffic wherever possible. In large part it was successful at that. 
Off our back road ramble (if you're looking on a map, it's Campbell Creek Rd. but it might not even show), we reconnect with highway 5A, which meanders in long sweepers through the Nicola Valley, along Stump Lake and Nicola Lake and intersecting with hwy 5 (the Coquihalla)  at Merritt.  It has long been a favorite ride of mine - just a lazy comfortable sweep through predominantly rolling ranch country. It's  a good pace to relax your stomach for a lunch stop at the Historic Quilchena Hotel on Nicola Lake.
          After lunch we continued on west down Hwy. 5A, bypassed Merritt with a couple of minutes on the Coquihalla, then south on 5A heading up the Okanagan connector and the turn off to Aspen Grove and Princeton. This was the only portion that I considered just boring superslab and it was only for 20 minutes or so. ........... and it transported us to another of the gems of the ride. If you've never done 5A from Aspen Grove to Princeton, then trust me, this road was made for a Connie. You need to do it!!! When you get to the end, you may want to turn around and do it again<g>.
Next stop was the Petrocan station in Princeton. I believe I saw a couple of "high fives". I know I saw a lot of smiles. This is the south west corner of the route. We're halfway. From here we head east to Keremeos, then Penticton in search of more twisty treasure. We don't wait long.
          because shortly after the turn off at Keremeos, we arrive at Green Mountain Rd. . Some may know it as the Apex Alpine Resort Road. Whatever you call it, it's time to strap on your A game and ramp up the fun factor to "Yee-Hah". 
After plenty enough curves for any mere mortal,  Green  Mountain Rd. spits us back into civilization at hwy 97 in Penticton.  This is the south east corner of the route.  From here we will follow the Okanagan Valley main corridor north towards Kelowna. .... but not before an ice cream stop at a Dairy Queen.
Although definitely a departure from the more rustic tracks we've enjoyed  so far,  I've always thought the ride up the valley, along the lakes was a beautiful ride.. if we could just get rid of the towns <g>.  On this perfect day, the occasional congestion is okay.  The weather has held for us all day and all seems right with the world.
All too soon we're dealing with W. Kelowna traffic but not for long because just before the bridge that takes us to Kelowna City proper, we hang a right , then left onto the notorious Westside Road.  It starts out easy but in not too long you realize it's time to start paying closer attention and pulling your A game out again if you're not already there.  This is a challenging track and can be very unforgiving to inattentiveness. This is a road to get really real on; not the road to push the edge too hard. When you do it right, it'll just make you feel good all over.
An hour or so later and we're back on hwy 97, having bypassed the cities of both Kelowna and Vernon.  I think everyone is pretty much baked by this time - but in a good way. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately because we have Westside behind us now, we catch the first drops of rain at this point.  We're close to home now though.
Heading north up 97 to Falkland, the precipitation increases. We're now just like horses headin' for the barn - the warm, dry barn. This is unfortunate because the last little track running from Falkland to Chase (called, not surprisingly, the Chase Falkland Road) which runs past beautiful Pillar lake at the top but also has 6 kilometers of gravel is a dish best served dry.  On a dry day, it is a hoot a mile. Today , not so much. ... but we persevere because it's the shortest way home. We're only 40 minutes out now. 
Suffice to say we all arrive back safe and sound despite the dancing cow (that's a story for another time) and proceed to warm up , dry out and power down.
I believe it's been a great day. There were a lot of showers run that night and the dryer ran pretty much steady. With departure plans being made for the morning, our once boisterous, now exhausted party crew fight the sandman as best they can but by eleven, everyone is in dreamland. First motors fire at first light, farewells are said and by 9 o:clock pretty much everyone is gone.  Charlie leaves last heading to Gene Kinzell in Vernon to get a salvage tire with enough rubber to get him home safe. For some reason his tread seems to have evaporated over the last couple of days.

I have no idea how that happened.

For pictures of the event see previous posts on this forum from Dan Paulsen and Charlie.

Very nice write-up.  Sounds like a ride for next year ...

Nanook said:
For pictures of the event see previous posts on this forum from Dan Paulsen and Charlie.

Hhmmm.  I'm a newb, maybe I just don't know the screen names to look for,
but I don't see these previous posts ...

Thanks Uhoh,
Check back a couple of post for Tour B.C. - Final countdown. Dan Paulsen (Danodemotoman) and Charlie Gary (handle - Charlie Gary NWAD). They both posted some great pictures. thanks guys. and Uhoh, why next year. Come on up in three weeks (June 29th-30th). I'm sure somebody will be more that happy to show you the quickest line between Aspen Grove and Princeton <g>. We're only a day away.
Dave Owen.

Nice write up. You are getting me anxious for the ride at the end of the month. I better be checking my tires for rubber.

Thanks Jim, There's something "hinky" with the registration config.. Registrant list is not showing so there may be registrations made that I'm not aware of. I've asked Charlie to look into it. If there are any other COGGERS who have registered this way, please let me know because I'm not getting the information. Smoke signals don't count. My email address is cogdave@telus.net

Okay, registration link is fixed. Get those card, letters ....and registrations coming in. Currently, five will ride. Myself, Jim "Bun Cooler" Sherman, "Island" Bob Rainey and Don and Carol Carruthers from Calgary.
Dave.

Nanook said:
Thanks Uhoh,
Check back a couple of post for Tour B.C. - Final countdown. Dan Paulsen (Danodemotoman) and Charlie Gary (handle - Charlie Gary NWAD). They both posted some great pictures. thanks guys. and Uhoh, why next year. Come on up in three weeks (June 29th-30th)... We're only a day away.
Dave Owen.

Thank you Dave.  Did that search/check - nice.
But I've a ride to Montana scheduled that particular wknd w/friends, and the last obstacle to it just vanished.

I'll watch, and if you offer other TBC's this summer - I'd like to come up.  <Or PM me if any alternate?>
Really: have passport, will travel.

Thanks for the invite.

Cecil

Hey Cecil,
I am considering possibly doing TBC 3. My July calendar is filling up fast but there's a possibility for August or Sept. . I'm leaning towards Sept. because the rug rats are back in school and the motorhomes are starting to thin out - makes for clearer riding and it's a bit cooler. I'll see how things develop after the June 30th ride.

Say Hi to Montana from me. I haven't visited for a few years. Always was a favorite state. Be safe. Have fun.

Dave.

How do I find your house? My GPS doesn't show it. I looked at Streets and there is more than one road in Chase, but none with the name of your road.

It is about a 9 hour ride from here. I'll leave early on Sat.

G'morning Jim,
At this point it's you, me and a Calgary couple, Don And Carol Carruthers who are fitting TBC in on their way from Calgary to Comox, so we'll get to hear about the Calgary floods first hand. You won't need to worry about bringing a portable house. Don and Carol get the guest room and we'll make another room for you. Don't know if there will be any last minute additions between now and Saturday but you know how those things go. "Island Bob" had to dash off to Ohio to buy ANOTHER bike so he's not going to make it. You do need to bring your lightest mesh gear because the weather guy says it's gonna be ninety degrees on ride day with almost no chance of rain. Yah!!. Grab some cow when you get to town and we'll fire up the barbecue.
How to get here:
Coming off TC1 (trans Canada hwy.#1), the access road from either east or west is Shuswap Ave. and it basically parallels the hwy.. Downtown Chase is only about three blocks long. There are no traffic lights and only two four way stops. One is Pine Street, only turns one way. Head towards the lake, past the golf course. when you get to the bridge - about half a kilometer - you're at Hysop Rd.. Turn right towards the Golf course and we're 5 houses in on the right. Chase is only five minutes from one side to the other. Trust me, you can't get lost LOL.

Grab a six of beer on the way through town and you're good to go. I'm looking forward to riding with you again. The scooter is anxious to get back on the TBC track. You'll have a blast. See you soon, Jim.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
How do I find your house? My GPS doesn't show it. I looked at Streets and there is more than one road in Chase, but none with the name of your road.

It is about a 9 hour ride from here. I'll leave early on Sat.

Google maps, Chase BC Hysop Road it will show you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 96
This will be the first time I will be bring the cooling vest this year instead of rain gear. It is suppose to be in the triple digits here.

I'll be riding close to 1000 miles for a 1 day ride, which seems kind of silly, but I'm looking forward to riding with you again.

Maybe we can stretch it out to a two day ride and make it worth while. LOL. The boat's in the shop otherwise I would suggest we hit the lake for a day before you head back. Either way, plan to hang out for a day or two and do some exploring. It's too far to come just to turn around and go back.

Nanook said:
G'morning Jim,
At this point it's you, me and a Calgary couple, Don And Carol Carruthers who are fitting TBC in on their way from Calgary to Comox, so we'll get to hear about the Calgary floods first hand. You won't need to worry about bringing a portable house. Don and Carol get the guest room and we'll make another room for you. Don't know if there will be any last minute additions between now and Saturday but you know how those things go. "Island Bob" had to dash off to Ohio to buy ANOTHER bike so he's not going to make it. You do need to bring your lightest mesh gear because the weather guy says it's gonna be ninety degrees on ride day with almost no chance of rain. Yah!!. Grab some cow when you get to town and we'll fire up the barbecue.
How to get here:
Coming off TC1 (trans Canada hwy.#1), the access road from either east or west is Shuswap Ave. and it basically parallels the hwy.. Downtown Chase is only about three blocks long. There are no traffic lights and only two four way stops. One is Pine Street, only turns one way. Head towards the lake, past the golf course. when you get to the bridge - about half a kilometer - you're at Hysop Rd.. Turn right towards the Golf course and we're 5 houses in on the right. Chase is only five minutes from one side to the other. Trust me, you can't get lost LOL.

Grab a six of beer on the way through town and you're good to go. I'm looking forward to riding with you again. The scooter is anxious to get back on the TBC track. You'll have a blast. See you soon, Jim.

Dave,
Don and Carol here. I'm sure you can understand why we needed to make some changes to our travel plans. Our trip to Comox is off  and given that, family is pulling us Eastward to Toronto instead. This means will not be able to meet up this time round. Thanks for your generous offer of accommodations and we hope to join in on the next tour! We actually were able to escape Calgary yesterday (no power at Carol's place of work) and are now leaving Swift Current this morning on our way to Toronto via Winnipeg/Thunder Bay/Sault Ste Marie. Time is tight but I'm sure our Connie will get us there and back.

I guess it is just us. I would like to stay longer, but my wife wants to go over to the Olympic Peninsula as soon as I get back. She said she would come along to Chase if we could get her golf clubs on the motorcycle.

I'll see you tomorrow.

So lemme get this straight. You're riding out for the, granted, great honor of riding with me for a day, then riding back to ?, picking up Glena and riding back out to the Olympic peninsula. How's that? Have I got it right? Hell, throw her on the back of the bike, we got a few sets of clubs. We'll go for a ride and G n' C can go hit balls around the pasture and if C. doesn't want to ( she hasn't actually golfed for years) I'm sure G can get up a four-some at the local clubhouse which is just 100 yds. down the road. ...and you get the guest room.

It is such an honor riding with you that I will ride through the heat of hell for 500 miles. :beerchug:

We are taking the car and going with friends to the coast. I'd rather ride the bike, but the rest are old boring people.

She would like to go to BC, but she already has some commitments. Plus she doesn't like to ride when it is too cold or too hot. We have put in some long and tough days riding 2 up. We put in two 600 miles days in a row coming back from the Nationals in Wisconsin. We had everything from snow and hail to 100 degree heat on that trip.

Jim,
I am humbled by your kind but unwarranted praise. LOL
Where are you riding out of? You are not listed in the membership handbook. What up with that? I kind of thought the mileage might be a deal breaker for 2 up <g>.
We may be joined for half of the route by Nick, a new member out of Vancouver area. Whether we're two or twenty, I think it will be a fun ride for you (I know I'll enjoy it). The only issue might be that it may be TOO hot. Pretty much zero chance of precip.. Gotta love that. With the Cooler in the rear view, all you gotta do now is kick back and enjoy the ride. I'm looking forward to it. What is your ETA in Chase? 

I'm in the book. Are you looking in Idaho? I'm just out of Lewiston. It is about 9 hours of riding. I'll have to stop for gas, lunch, and get some of your money. I looked in our foreign money bag and found some Canadian change. It amounted to $3.48. I don't think that is enough to get by on. Does Canada use pennies anymore? I found about $900 in pesos. Can I buy something with those?

I"m leaving here around 6:30 so I should be there around 6:00 or so. (if the cops don't catch me).

Sounds like a good time guys. Wish I could tour(fly low) around with ya. I can't get that far North until August  :mad:

Directory? Sorry.. nothing. Maybe I got a defective book.  It'll figure out. No pennies anymore. Don't take pesos either. Got some if you're collecting them though. You can have them. 9 hours? Good time. don't get caught. Radar detectors legal in B.C.. I never leave home without . Chase grocery stores close at 6:00 on Saturday I think. You want I should pick you up a steak or something?

Gumby said:
Sounds like a good time guys. Wish I could tour(fly low) around with ya. I can't get that far North until August  :mad:
Sorry you can't join us. Come when you can. Don't wait for a ride. Come anytime. Just give me a call and we'll go for a ride.

I made it hope safe after 13 hours and 566 miles with 100 degree heat for most of the trip. Plus I got caught in a Canada Day parade and rush hour in Spokane.However, it was all worth because the riding was great. I'm glad I took hwy 6 because it was really beautiful and a fun road. The cooling vest made it bearable.

I had another strange thing at customs on the U.S. side. The guy wasn't friendly, but not an ass either like the Canadian one. He asked me what I was doing in Canada and I told him riding with a friend and he said "why don't you ride in the states."

Thanks for the great time Dave.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I made it hope safe after 13 hours and 566 miles with 100 degree heat for most of the trip. Plus I got caught in a Canada Day parade and rush hour in Spokane.However, it was all worth because the riding was great. I'm glad I took hwy 6 because it was really beautiful and a fun road. The cooling vest made it bearable.

I had another strange thing at customs on the U.S. side. The guy wasn't friendly, but not an ass either like the Canadian one. He asked me what I was doing in Canada and I told him riding with a friend and he said "why don't you ride in the states."

Thanks for the great time Dave.
Glad you got home safe, hopefully in time to get a good nights sleep before heading out again in the A.M.. Glad you enjoyed hwy 6 on the way down. Yup, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride too. Will do it again any time. Running the route with just the two of us was fun. You were a pleasure to ride with. Glad you could make it up here, Jim.

If anyone else wants to run the route, just get a couple of buddies together, give me a call and we'll make it happen. TBC is just the kick-off point. Anyone in the Northwest who wants to explore B.C., give me a call and we'll put it together. A day ride, a weekend, three days, four days, whatever you want. We got the roads, we got the weather, I've got the time, all that's missing is YOU. Hopefully we can do some more of this, this year. The details are easy to work out. Just make the call.