• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Touring Tire Package

BBear

I am afraid my tire question will die under my introduction post, so I will post it directly under the tire section.

I am shopping for touring tires, good performance and at least 8K miles out of them. Read every single thread available on the subject. Good information but nothing too conclusive and many of the options no longer available.

The following combo seemed to be praised by many owners, so I wanted to run the selection and ask a question about the front tire size before placing my order online:

• $91 Shinko 777 H.D. Tire - Rear - 150/80B16  Part #WPS87-4597
  • $144 MICHELIN (#31794) PILOT ROAD 3 110/80ZR18 58W Part #0301-0282

Two questions:

1. Is the selection correct? Shinko 777 H.D. series? I ask this because of what it seems like a weird size number: 150/80B16  - don't know what the B stands for.
2. Front tire size: 120/70 or 110/80? My bike currently runs on 120/70 but after the research it seems like 110/80 is the OEM size?

Thanks in advance!
BB

I had good luck with the Shinko SR733 front and the SR734 rear tires...they have a resemblance to the Dunlop Touring Elites.  They are available in GL1500 sizes...160/80-16 rear and 130/70-18 front...they make it easier to get the bike up on the centerstand...but, they are touring tires...not sport tires...they do make it handle slower and heavier...anyway, I got 10k miles out of two sets in a row...and, they will fit your wheels.

HTH...

Brad,

Good recommendation and option to know but since I don't have any history with the bike I want to keep this simple and close to stock. The package above seems to have a good number of riders using and it is close to stock.

Thanks!

For the start of the next riding season I will be installing my fourth 777 HD rear tire.
I’ve averaged 2 seasons / 12K miles per rear.
For the front I’ve settled on the Bridgestone T-30 in 110/80-18 size.
( This may now be the T-31. ) To date, I haven’t bothered with the
GT or EVO versions. It also lasts two seasons.
Performance, handling and ride quality have been excellent.
For a set of tires that cost less than $200 delivered,
they’re hard to beat. I have nothing negative to say about them.

GeorgeRYoung said:
CRocker said:
. . . The "B" stands for Belted...
Or maybe Bias.

I removed the "Belted" reference from my post above...seems that it could mean either...I was under the impression that if a tire didn't have an "R" in that place (to signify "Radial"), then it was understood that the tire in question was a Biased Ply tire...and, if there was a "B" there, it was belted...sheesh...things used to be so simple...now my bike has 17" wheels and I'm running a biased ply tire in the back and a radial in the front...

works4me said:

Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. Two follow up questions:

- the front tire you call T-30 is that the same as the Bridgestone Battlax T30?
- where are you buying your tires for around $200 shipped? Really great deal!

Thanks!
BB

CRocker, it gets more confusing...

I just purchased the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact Tire in a 110/80-18 size for the front of my 03...

Before I purchased it, I realized that it is not shown (at Bike Bandit) to be a radial but is listed on some other suppliers sites as a 110/80ZR-18.
I did some more research.
Further reading of Bike Bandit shows it as a multi-compaound (Bias/Radial)??
See their advertisement; https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-motorcycle-tire/p/30568

But; I want it all; What I'm hoping for is a tire with radial handling that gets the mileage of a Bias Ply. <evil grin>
Will see what happens.

NOTE: I have  Metzeler ME-888 on the rear.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted,

I would believe that the tire you ordered is a radial.  The link you included is from a seller’s website.  If you go to metzeler.com you can see that Metzeler thinks they only make it in a radial...it’s in Sport Touring tires.  I believe the manufacturer more so than a seller...one is only selling the tire...the other is making it...  Like the Shinko tire the OP asked about...the “B” must come from a seller’s website...Shinko doesn’t list the tire as a “B”...in their catalog it is a 150/80-16...I will say it again...things used to be much simpler...

BTW...compound and construction are two different things...i’m not sure if your tire will be single or double compound...

BB said:
works4me said:

Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. Two follow up questions:

- the front tire you call T-30 is that the same as the Bridgestone Battlax T30?
- where are you buying your tires for around $200 shipped? Really great deal!

Thanks!
BB

Yes, the front tire is a Bridgestone Battlax , currently the T-31, 110/80R-18.

I usually get my tires from AmericanMotoTire.com.
Another good source is Chaparral Motorsports. ( ChapMoto.com )

CRocker said:
Ted,

I would believe that the tire you ordered is a radial.  The link you included is from a seller’s website.  If you go to metzeler.com you can see that Metzeler thinks they only make it in a radial...it’s in Sport Touring tires.  I believe the manufacturer more so than a seller...one is only selling the tire...the other is making it...  Like the Shinko tire the OP asked about...the “B” must come from a seller’s website...Shinko doesn’t list the tire as a “B”...in their catalog it is a 150/80-16...I will say it again...things used to be much simpler...

BTW...compound and construction are two different things...I’m not sure if your tire will be single or double compound...

CRocker, I agree it is a radial and suspect it is a dual compound.
My apologies;
I was trying to demonstrate how the sellers add to the confusion.
That's why I sed; CRocker, it gets more confusing...
  My note was intended to show there is a difference "in the description" on the various suppliers sites.
  Some (like Bike bandit} do not include the ZR rating on their advertisement and even seem to say it's a bias/radial..
  I went back and reworded my previous note... Hopefully it's clear as mud?

Ride safe, Ted

MAN OF BLUES said:
I had to ponder the B thing, as just today I was dealing with truck tires... and letters meant load range limits...
but not so with bike tires...
these should 'splain it all....

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/Street-Tire-Load-Ratings.pdf

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/MIC_Tire_Guide_2012V1.pdf

B in bike tires is "B"ias. not "R"adial.

Well...there is a pretty important disclaimer on page two of the MIC Tire Guide that hasn't been mentioned yet...and, I'll point out that the MIC Tire Guide is a reference publication put out by a fairly reputable source, but, it isn't a book of government regulations...but, if a "-" is the same as a "B"...how would one explain all of these listings on Amazon?

Dunlop D402 For Harley-Davidson Blackwall Rear Motorcycle Tires - MT90HB-16 45006018

Dunlop D402 Harley Davidson Series MT90B-16 Front Tire For Harley-Davidson OEM# 43022-91A

Dunlop Harley Davidson D402 Whitewall Front Tire (Wide Whitewall / MT90B-16)

Michelin Commander II MT90-B16 Front tire

Michelin Commander II Front Tire (MT90B-16)

All of these listings have a "-" and a "B"...and, yes, they are all Biased Ply Tires...I'm just trying to say that the "B" has languished over the years and nobody nowadays is quite sure of what it means...it appears on some tire sizing and not on others...

Take a look at Ultimate Motorcycling's assessment of motorcycle tires...https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/02/14/motorcycle-tires-safety-standards-explained/

This probably only clouds things more...I certainly don't think it explains much...

I can just remember when things were simple...