• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS Slime compatibility

Mininsx

Does anyone know if Slime will "kill" a TPM sensor? I had a small leak in my rear tire from a broken piece of glass and put Slime in the tire. I've had good luck with Slime before, but this time it wouldn't seal, and after a while the TPM quit working, but I thought that was because the battery in the sensor died. I needed new tires anyway, so I ordered the tires and had a local battery place replace the batteries in the TPMs while they were putting on the new tires. So, I've got the new tires on but my rear sensor still won't work.  :( 

It may have plugged up or ruined the sensor,  having seen first hand what Slime will do to a rim It wouldn't surprise me that it would eat a TPMS.... :(

(You couldn't pay me to use that stuff :( )

Why did you have to use it? Oh, sorry, I went and read OP.

Buy a plug kit, there are good ones that will fix 99% of all flats. If its a slice, though, nothing is going to fix it, so figure on getting recovery service to your garage or a shop.

I picked it up after repairing a blow out for insurance on the trip home and lost pressure again down the highway. After another try I used it to re inflate. Purchased a small compressor after.

Well, I'm assuming that the Slime killed the rear TPM because after the new battery it still didn't work and the front is working, but intermittently just like it did before the new battery.  Looks like I can't win, but having the batteries replaced was only 10 bucks so I'm not hurting too bad. Now I've got to decide if having TPM is worth the almost $280 that they would cost to replace 'em both.

I modified mine on the 08 to take new batts. Others have too.

haven't heard if they changed the sensor to be able to do it without mods

Richard_Beaudoin_ON said:
I modified mine on the 08 to take new batts. Others have too.

haven't heard if they changed the sensor to be able to do it without mods
Not yet. 

Nope, nothing new. The batteries in the wheel sensors are not made to be replaceable and doing so requires soldering at the minimum but it could always be done by those skilled and determined enough. Put another way, Kawasaki and the original sensor mfg. (a company in France, the name escapes me) never intended for them to be serviceable but they can be although it is more effort than replacing the batteries in, say, a flashlight.

Brian

TimR said:
Did I miss something? You can replace the batteries in the TPS now?

New batteries are available and can be soldered in place of the originals. I keep some around to put in for folks.  I was doing conversions to make the batteries replaceable, and the company discontinued the contacts I was using for a cheesier design that won't work.  I can replace batteries though.

I have been using ride-on for several years and most recently (last 4 months) in my '09 C14. It has been compatible with the TPMS so far and recently had a tire blowout and this stuff saved my butt. I use Metzler roadtec z6's and love the tires. I don't like slime products and therefore don't use them.

http://www.ride-on.com/

I typically buy this from the cheapest seller on ebay. On avg, I pay about $15 for it.

The most bizarre thing happened yesterday, the rear TPM started working!  :eek: That thing's been dead for months! I have no idea why it's working now but it's nice to have a normal display again.  :great: