• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trailer Chock: necessary? Best deal?

Tour1

I have a folding utility trailer now and it can handle 1 Concours plus a few lbs more.
Do I need a chock, and do I need a fancy chock?
When I brought my 87 home the first time I had a trailer with a fancy chock (I forgot the name) and no suspension.  It broke 1 of 4 hold down straps during the trip through NYC.
My new trailer has leaf springs on the axle but no bike holders as yet.  Any weight added will subtract from the payload.
I could build a chock with lumber, maybe even scraps but I'll end up paying sooner or later.
Suggestions, anyone?

I have snapped the standard 1" straps partly because of bad roads and I like to corner hard even when trailing.
(I have a very low center of gravity bike specific trailer that allows me to tow fast and corner hard)

So I only run 2 inch straps with 2 inch softies .  Two traps (and the soft ties) go from the lower triple tree to  just and only  hold the bike forward in the chock. These two straps are not there to stop the side to side movement- only to hold the bike forward.

The next two straps go to the strongest part of any and  all bikes. The Swingarm.  One around the drive shaft and the other on the solid swing arm side. Those two straps hold the bike from moving side to side.

The bike should be as one with the trailer- no movement- none.