• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trailering to Tennessee

ldsrider

Training Wheels
I know most of you wouldn't agree that putting the Connie on a trailer is the thing to do......BUT we are going to do it anyway. the 5 of us won't fit on it with any comfort.....

I have a trailer that was used to carry a Hardly and is set up well. It has a wheel chock in the front and 8 D-ring tie downs. That isn't the issue.....

I wanted to poll all of you to see where the best tiedown point is for the front.... I want to tie to the triple clamp and not the handlebars because I have heard numerous tales about broken bars. 

How do you tie to something buried in the middle of the front end without taking all the plastics off and, if you leave the plastics on, how do you keep from breaking them? Do you go under and up through the front of the bike and tie off that way?  Anyone got any pictures of this?

Please help a guy out....

Thanks
Scott

I have thought about that too, I would not trust the bars myself. I think the lower triple is best, but then you need to run a third strap between the two straps, through the wheel, to pull them down and inward away from the main fairing. Or move the d-rings closer to the front wheel. But then you wouldn't have much spread to keep the bike upright.

the bottom triple tree is the best place to tie down, as there have been reports of snapped bars.  because a direct route from the bottom triple tree to the tie down point may not work (depending on the width of your tie down points) you may have to use two more straps to cross to the opposite side to draw in the straps that are holding the bike.  this will route the main straps away from the fairings and fender.

in other words, for the left side strap going from the triple tree to the trailer tie down, you will need another strap attatched to the trailer on the right side and attached to the first strap, drawing it in so it doesnt hit the body work.  this in this configuration will act to keep each other tight.  i hope that makes sense.

its ok to put it in a trailer...as long as its covered so your shame will not be visible to others :rotflmao:

I trailer my sport bike to the track a lot and use a wheel chock as well.  I strap the front tire into the wheel chock to secure it firmly.  After tha, you need to consider compression of the shocks so that the rear end of the bike does not bounce around.  If you don't do this, the bikes rear end will move around while you travel.  I tie down the back of the bike on each side near the rear passenger pegs when I can get firm compression on the shock.  You'd want to travel without the bags on the back to do this....most likely.  That setup will hold you just fine, however, if you still don't feel comfortable, put two more straps around mid bike going forward or neutral to the side attached to the frame somewhere.

cant you use narrow tie points on the front to avoid the plastic and then wide tie points to the back of the bike for stability?

You could if you wanted to. Or, since this is the C-14 section, you could use a bucket loader and just put a dozen or so in the back of a dump truck, makes unloading much easier, too.  :rotflmao:

[its ok to put it in a trailer...as long as its covered so your shame will not be visible to others :rotflmao:
[/quote]

It is an enclosed trailer.....

Don't be surprised if you get one of these for your birthday!  :))  Only kidding!

http://www.zazzle.com/nice_trailer_you_pussy_tshirt-235539903786313737

Cap'n Bob said:
Don't be surprised if you get one of these for your birthday!  :))  Only kidding!

http://www.zazzle.com/nice_trailer_you_pussy_tshirt-235539903786313737

Wow thanks....I'm a 2X......

Use a set of canyon dancers on the bars with a proper wheel chock and rear tied down. The canyon dancers distribute the load well and don't damage the body work.

jstone101 said:
Use a set of canyon dancers on the bars with a proper wheel chock and rear tied down. The canyon dancers distribute the load well and don't damage the body work.

I only use the canyon dancer as a secondary back up to the primaries on the triple trees. The C14 bars are not that strong, so they can and have broken on a few people who used the canyon dancer. I would avoid using it as my main tie down with any substantial pressure required to really hold the bike down!

Cap'n Bob said:
jstone101 said:

I only use the canyon dancer as a secondary back up to the primaries on the triple trees. The C14 bars are not that strong, so they can and have broken on a few people who used the canyon dancer. I would avoid using it as my main tie down with any substantial pressure required to really hold the bike down!

I'm guessing mine passed the canyon dancer break test ... my bike being a left over 09, was taken to a lot of bike shows and was delivered using them.
So i think mine are safe .  hahahaha

Use soft ties to attach to the lower tree. Use micro fiber cloth to the straps to prevent straps from rubbing on painted surfaces.

Rash

Rash said:
Use soft ties to attach to the lower tree. Use micro fiber cloth to the straps to prevent straps from rubbing on painted surfaces.

Rash

I like to use sleeves cut off an old sweat shirt. Slip the straps trough them and let them do the job protecting the bike where it hits slightly!

I asked this same question when i picked up my C14 from the seller.  I put it in the bed of the pickup truck.  Its kinda tight, but you gotta feed the straps up from the bottom and around the lower triple.  it helps if somebody is up above to take the strap from your hand.  Also, make sure to avoid the brake cables.

I put the straps through some old sweatshirt sleeves to avoid scratches on the fairings.  For my pickup bed, i used wratchet straps and simply tightened them down, letting them contact the fairings (with sleeves in place).  My front straps went to tiedown points on the bedrail of the truck, so the angle was a bit more horizontal than you'll get with a trailer.

I trailered my '08 about 1800 miles on a U-Haul trailer and all I did was use 4 straps to hold it down.  The rear ones were on the hand holds and did most of the stabilization and the fronts were on the very ends of the bars so nothing touched the fairings.  Maybe I was just lucky but everything worked out fine for me.