• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

trip to Wy

raulcifuentes

My wife and I are going on a vacation to Wy, The plan is to trailer the Coni to somewhere in SD from NY and start riding. I have been reading the forum for awhile and I think I'm ready (hopefully) The idea is ti ride beard tooth and Yellowstone, any other place to visit I should know? Raul

after many years of living in Wyo and many cross state rides on my 74 trident i would say just pick a place and go, it's all great, check out cody if your headed to yellowstone on northern route

Depends on what you are looking for.
  • US 14 across the top of the state. Nice place to stay (and site of past NW COG rallies) is Bear Lodge Resport in the Bighorns. http://www.bearlodgeresort.com/
  • Beartooth Hwy between Cody and Red Lodge, is a hoot. To bypass Yellowstone (it is a giant pain in the ass on a motorcycle) take SR 120 north out of Cody, and hang a left on SR 296, which becomes the Chief Joseph Highway. This will eventually T into the Beartooth without having to go through Yellowstone.
  • If you have time and really want to see it, then by all means visit Yellowstone. It's just that every time I have been there on a bike I suffer. 30 mph speed zone EVERYWHERE, hot, brainless morons in sport utes and rented Impalas running you down so they can take a picture of some wild critter. On the other hand, I can see spending time there in my own sport ute with the back loaded with camping gear.
  • It's worth it to take US 191 down through Rock Springs and into Flaming Gorge. If time permits, head all the way into Vernal, Utah, which makes a great spot for overnight stay. US 191 south fo Rock Springs is one of my favorite Sensory Overloads.
A piece of advice from an ex-pat New Yorker: They something out here called Open Range. Moo Cows get to roam whervere they want, sometimes in big groups. OK, herds. The thing is, if you nail one in Open Range, you have to compensate the rancher. US 191 up on top out of Dutch John can have lots of cattle moseying around. One last piece of advice. Carry water. Lots of it. Put two bottle down deep in the bags so you naver get to it. And enjoy. Yuo will love it.

Also add US 16 between Buffalo and and Worland, via Ten Sleep. Nice. If you are a wing nut like me, check out the airport at Greybull, WY. Hawkins and Powers used to be here. They made fire bombers out of old militarty C-119 Boxcars, P2V neptures, C-130 Herks, A-26 Invaders, and C-97 Stratofreighters. They provded the crew and flying airplane and wrecked airplane for the remake of "Flight Of The Phoenix." The company went out of business after two much publicized crashes, one with the "folding wing" C-130 fire bomber and the other of an ancient PB2Y Privateer (Navy version of B-24 Liberator). Anyway, they have a museum where you can crawl allover the old wrecks out on the field. Just watch for snakes. If time permits, head north of the border to the Custer Battleground at Little Big Horn. Boring road but wirth the trip if history interests you.

Its a great state to ride in and if you are planing on hiting Bear tooth like you said on your way back be sure to spend at least one FULL day in Cody. Fantastic Museum (a freaking must!) and the nightly rodeo is aways a treat. On the way back east You could head over 14 or 14 alt but I'd really take a look at heading south on 16/20 then east on 16. Personally I think 16 is such an increadible road. If you are into geology every several miles there is a geological marker as you are heading straight through some of the oldest rock formations on the planet. Billions, Yes BILLIONS of years old. Of course you will be hitting Devils tower and Rushmore in SD. Also make sure you do the looop through Custer State PArk. Very enjoyable, especially the Bison. (stay away from the bulls!) BUT!!! Before you head over to the BEar Tooth Pass if you are planning the north to south approach you have to stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. (crow Agency exit 510 on I-90. Very hallowed ground. So many roads, so little time!! Enjoy the trip. Oh and plan on extra time through Yellowstone. IT IS A FREAKING SUMMER TIME TRAFFIC ZOO!!! AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

Thank you for the info, Codi willbe a must. well black hills,beartooth and bighorns for now. Thank you again and next time Iwill go into Utah.

Although I haven't ridden the Yellowstone area, I have visited for a week with my family. I 2nd what Rich said about water/dehydration. Seems like no matter how much water I drank, my digestive system never seemed normal. Drink plenty of fluids - aka Gatorade or equiv. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Lived in South east Wyo for several years. Watch out for Big dear, little antelope, and horrific cross winds. winds can be tricky especially when passing a truck, either direction, and when going through cut banks. If you have time and are in the area. The Hobo hot springs in Saratoga is very nice and open to the public. Also the road over Snow Range south of Saratoga and north Encampment to Laramie is a great one. The Laramie halve is boring but the first have is worth it. Also, at the bottom of the Pass in the Town of Centennial is one of the greatest Steak Houses in the world. You have to try the "Bull Fries". If time and schedule permit I would get into Saratoga early enough to get a room, head over to Centennial for diner, back to Saratoga for the hot pool and the night. Then south through Encampment,through a place called 3 corners, and then back north to Laramie, or you can go West from Encampment to Steamboat Springs Colorado. Both are nice roads. Just enjoy the ride and the country equally well. Take it easy and see this great land at its best. If "God Blessed Texas", made Wyo. for vacation. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I'll second what Uncle Bob said about the Cody museum. Very well done and you'd have to be a complete anti-history dweeb to not want to spend the whole day. One of the museum's highlights is a gun display, with at least one copy of EVERY model manufactured by Winchester. You don't have to be a firearms fnanatic to appreciate this display. An interesting town to spend the night is Thermopolis. As the name implies, it is the site of hot springs and has infdoor and outdoor access to various therputic (read: sore-butt-soothing) pools. If memory serves it is not as touristy as Cody and thus a tad cheaper. Buffalo also has a nice choice of motels and eateries, and it's at the crossroads of US 16, I-25 and I-90. We have stayed at the Best Western Crossroads, which has an in-house Italian restaurant I highly recommend. We're from NY so I figured an Ialian eatery in Wyoming would be Pizza-Slut cardboard & ketchup and "skeddy." I was very pleasatly surprised. Excellent food.

Raul, If you like mountain passes like Bearthoot you might consider "Going To The Sun Road" in Glacier National Park. When we reached the summit there my wife (passanger) said she was walking back but eventually found the nerve to continue on. Lake McDonald is a great place to stay if going to Glacier. I agree with Rich about Yellowstone, it's a wonderful park but not much fun driving a bike through but the Tetons to the south are one of my favorite places on earth.

rode from pa to or the hardest was wy the wind was constant gust 25 to 35 mph all day long got off and went to route 30 windy road would recommend it and 20 into or

If you haven't gone yet, I second the suggestions for Wyoming. As for unloading heading out, consider Nemo South Dakota. It is 21 miles NW of Rapid City. 19 miles south of Sturgis. Great camp ground where you can leave rig. Riding is great there and an awesome launch spot.

Well where to start....Thank you for all the info... Thank you to John and Rhonda for let us use the driveway in Rapid City. From Rapid to Codi open hwy through Chief Joseph Hwy ! Spectacular Great museum. The park is beautiful but the 45 mph and the people taking pictures is a bit to much. Hwy 14,16, 20 excellent to open up. I can't believe how many people are going to Alaska, From Boston to Alaska , Atlanta to Alaska and more. We love to talk to people at any stops, yesterday we have to go through Manhattan with my trailer it was a zoo, no doubt. My last 50 miles on three cylinders, I check the plugs not a problem or wire but the carb. so today I will take it apart. -- Raul Cifuentes