• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Triple Offender. My poor girl went down three times!!!

123vanhornp

Three time looser here!!! !st lay over: I was pulling up to park at the local parts store, this was just about one week after I purchased the bike I thought the side stand was securely down, that's what I get for thinking at all, stepped off and over she went!!! The nice young lady that happened to own the store rushed out to help me lift her from the blacktop. Talk about emberaaaassssing, just the mirror this time, left side of course which this cutie was more than happy to help me with the purchase of and the helmet I was going there to price out! By the way I got a gently used helmet, worn about five times with all the accessories for forty dollars!

2nd lay over: at least there was no one around, going up a fairly steep street and at the end it turned into a dirt desert road, houses on both sides and drive ways. It looked like plenty of room to turn around so I went right in a drive way and when I attempted to start my u turn, the way off camber of mother nature "gravity" most assuredly helped her over to the left again and this time upside down, and threw me down the hill roiling for a ways on the asphalt, some scrapes and bruising later, the fuel was filling the seat cushion and running down the street , I had to call my son and his friend to come to my assistance to right the bike. I rode it home with no left foot rest and a burning rear end and legs due to to the gas soaking into my pants but the mirror survived this one. note to self, don't hesitate or back it down to turn around on a steep incline.

3d layover: I also bought a Chinese made 150 scooter at the same time, I had just finished polishing both bikes to the t. They were parked side by side in my driveway when my wife came out and decided she would take a seat on the Kawasaki and over to the right it went into the scooter and it went down as well so now the scooter that was flawless was moderately scratched up and the Connie suffered the right foot rest breakage! I'm not really sure what to take away from this episode! Philip VanHorn Three time Looser!

Ouch, that really sucks!!!!  Made out well on 1st trip I guess.  Curious how your seat was full of gas, as that is not supposed to happen. :-[ :truce:  Third one, your wife was jealous of your mistress, and all the time you were spending with her!!!!  She punished you both :nananana: :rotflmao:  Hope everybody heals soon!!!!!!

Well done, now that you got that out of the way, you can relax :great:
I wish that were true.
Need to get some tip-over bars. Mine have paid for themselves several times over :-[
Sorry to hear, I hope both scoots end up OK.
Jorge

Here's what you should take away from this, Philip:  Pop off the right side middle panel.  Under there is a schrader valve, just like the tires have.  But this one goes to the rear shock.  Pump a little air in there.  Do it gently; do NOT use a high-pressure hose or you will blow the seals right out of that rear shock.  This will make Connie a bit taller and will help her settle a lot more firmly on that sidestand.  It took me a while to realize that thing was there and longer to realize just what it did.

Well I'm sorry you and the 150 scooter were banged up, but glad that Connie's injuries were relatively minor, and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

In the interests of Full Disclosure, my own membership had lapsed for almost a month before a friend pointed it out to me.  I had been vaguely aware that renewal was coming up, but it simply slipped my mind.  At this point I'm still waiting for membership to update the account.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

And here's where to Renew

ChipDoc- I have already had the rear shock seal blowing experience, found it dripping in the drive way, I guess I over filled it but I was gentle so I thought, I used a tire inflation tool with trigger and gauge. when funds provide I'll take care of that membership. thanks very much. any rear shock rebuild tips?

Nope, that trigger and a gauge is hooked up to a high pressure hose.  The gauge is expecting to be hooked up to a tire which takes a whole bunch of air to get up to 40 pounds.  The rear shock takes just a tiny bit of air to get up to 10 pounds.  I've never rebuilt one, so I can't give any advice on that, but I did find this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171816930332?lpid=82&chn=ps

Hope you're feeling better!

Yep,  only use a hand pump for air shocks,  never a high pressure hose....or try this fool-proof trick.  Using a low pressure gauge for accuracy (like for ATV tires),  put exactly the pressure you want into a 5 gallon portable air tank.  Now transfer from that tank to your shock.  Can't miss.  :great: