• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trouble on the way to the National - Stranded in Oklahoma

MotoWojo

COG #465
On my way down to the COG National in Kerrville with my brother Steve Saturday afternoon when I got a flat rear tire on US 69 just south of McAlester, Oklahoma.  I pulled my C14 off the road thinking I would plug the tire, inflate it, and be on my way.  Unfortunately, I discovered about a 1 inch long cut in the tire… no patching.  Kawasaki Protection Plan Roadside Assist helped me get the bike towed back to a hotel in McAlester.  The local Kawasaki dealer doesn’t open until Monday at 9:00 am, but I’ve been told they probably will not have a tire in stock. 

Wondering if anyone out there is familiar with motorcycle dealers in Oklahoma?  I would like to see if I could find someone, hopefully close by, with a tire in stock.  Any COG members in the McAlester, OK area? 

Thanks,

Mark Wojcik
MotoWojo

Anyone headed to Kerrville via US 69 in Oklahoma?  When you pass by the EconoLodge in McAlester, OK give a beep and a wave.  I’m afraid I’m going to be here a few days.    :mad: :'(

Hey Kurt - That’s a great thought.  There’s a Cycle Gear in Tulsa that is only 1-1/2 hours away.  I will be calling them when they open at 10:00 this morning. 

MotoWojo said:
Hey Kurt - That’s a great thought.  There’s a Cycle Gear in Tulsa that is only 1-1/2 hours away.  I will be calling them when they open at 10:00 this morning.

+1!

FWIW some of the guys here said some of the stores would mount and balance if you brought the wheel in.

Jeff Kerkow said:
FWIW some of the guys here said some of the stores would mount and balance if you brought the wheel in.

Yeah, I’ve heard that as well.  I’m hoping they have a tire in stock.  About 25 minutes to go before I can call.

Good luck getting back under way. Cycle Gear will be your best bet remember most motorcycle shops are closed Mondays and open Tuesday through Saturday.

Cycle gear in Memphis mounted one for my son for $25. This store does not take the tire off so I just brought it in.

Good luck.

Update:

Because Cycle Gear’s Oklahoma stores don’t open until 10 am, I called Cycle Gear’s Indianapolis store this morning to see if they could check inventory for the Tulsa store.  Unfortunately, they weren’t able to tell me what tires any of the Oklahoma stores would have in stock. 

Waited until 10 am and called the Tulsa and the Oklahoma City stores.  The pickings were really poor at the Tulsa store, but the Oklahoma City store has a Pirelli Angel GT (but not the A-Spec) in stock.  Took the wheel off in the hotel parking lot and strapped it to the back of my brother Steve’s C-14.  Riding time to/from the Oklahoma store is about 5 hours round trip.  With any luck, we’ll get to Kerrville Monday evening. 

I’m a little concerned about running a non A-Spec Angel GT on a C-14, but it should get me to the rally and back home.  I’m thinking it just may not give me the same mileage as an A-Spec.  Thanks to everyone out there for the calls, messages, and well wishes.

Mark

Thanks MOB! 

Just finished mounting the new tire and we’ll be back on the road to Kerrville tomorrow.  Only one day of lost riding time, which isn’t bad considering I got the flat after 5 pm on Saturday and was able to find a replacement and get it mounted on a Sunday.  Special thanks to Kurt (aka MotoCommuter) for mentioning Cycle Gear. 

Ride Safe Everyone!

Mark

Mark don't worry about the non a spec I have these on my 14 and they are fine. Over 4000 miles no problems.

Plus one on the non-A spec Angels, Mark.  I've got 5K on my set and easily two or three more.  I do ride solo if that matters to you.  No worries, mate.
:great:  Sailrider