• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Twice as strong as Kevlar--EDIT: Here's a 2nd one.

Yes, that looks interesting.  Not much info with respect to pricing on their website.  I'll call tomorrow but several of the items look like they would be good for under jackets and pants.

I've often wondered how abrasion resistant a mesh riding pant/jacket really is and this might add a nice layer under the pads....

Hi,
        Hmmmm.......The Kevlar used by Motoport is MESH!

That's for a reason and I will stick my neck out and say it is because of HEAT!

You can have the toughest suit in the world, but if you can't stay in it????

Just something I thought of? ;D

Attachments

• img_2.jpeg
    img_2.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 170
I don't think they'll be selling that fabric at JoAnn's :)
Wonder how they cut it to make clothing...

Ok, I called them and checked on pricing.  These are rough numbers, but here is what I found:

Long Sleeve T-shirt (blk, grey, white) - About $160
Long Boxers - About $160
Gloves - About $50

I say about because I didn't jot down the exact price, not because they aren't sure.

I've never paid $160 for a t-shirt before, but I decided to give it a try.  I've got a ride coming up on 4/29, so I hope it gets here before then.  I'll post some feedback once it arrives, but I hope to never be able to give an effectiveness review....  :motonoises:

Speedy said:
Ok, I called them and checked on pricing.  These are rough numbers, but here is what I found:

Long Boxers - About $160
Gloves - About $50

I say about because I didn't jot down the exact price, not because they aren't sure.

I've never paid $160 for a t-shirt before, but I decided to give it a try.  I've got a ride coming up on 4/29, so I hope it gets here before then.  I'll post some feedback once it arrives, but I hope to never be able to give an effectiveness review....  :motonoises:

Hi,
        I would be curious as to how HOT it might be? (airflow?) ;D

Attachments

• suzuki-gsxr-1000-wallpaper-2014-4.jpg
    suzuki-gsxr-1000-wallpaper-2014-4.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 143
Speedy said:

Long Boxers - About $160
Gloves - About $50

Please do, I am interested in the long sleve tee shirt myself. :beerchug:

Ok, my TnL long sleeve grey t-shirt arrived last night. 

Here are my first impressions:

1. Thinner and lighter than I expected - the fabric reminds me of the rough knit (pique) polo shirts and it weighs maybe 25-40% more as the same shirt in long sleeve version.
2. I suspect it breathes fairly well - the fabric appears to be a fairly coarse weave again like the polo knit shirt.  I attached a photo of the shirt in front of my lcd tv so you can get a feel for how air might flow through the shirt - and keep in mind this is showing through the front AND back of the shirt, not just one layer as it would be against your skin.
3. The instructions say you can hand or machine wash, but to only dry NO HEAT.  Given its texture, I suspect it would dry pretty quickly on a hanger
4. Haven't washed it yet, but I don't think it would be comfortable to wear it as your base layer.  I think a short sleeve t-shirt underneath would be ok.  The fabric doesn't seem to irritate my arms but I suspect with the added weight of a jacket, it would fairly quickly irritate my shoulders without a shirt underneath.
5. It has thumbs loops which are great.  I was concerned how it might ride up your arm in the event of being called on to serve its purpose, probably also makes it easier to put a jacket over it.
6. Seems to run pretty true to size.  I'm 5-11 165lbs and typically wear a large in the same polo knot shirt as above.  A large fits just about right.
7. The neck band is a little thicker than usual (see photo) but not quite a mock turtleneck and its fairly tight.  Not sure if it will stretch a bit over time, but its tight going on and remains a bit tight around my neck - I wear a 34x15.5 dress shirt.   
8. I received a bill in the mail for the shirt indicating the price was 188.99 plus 9.98 shipping - so $200.  A bit higher than I was told on the phone - $160 and no mention of shipping, but I forgot to ask so that's on me.  I'll call this am about the 28.99 difference though as that does bother me a bit.

So, in summary, its pretty much as described on the TnL website - although not quite as soft.  As long as it serves its purpose if called on, it will be worth most any price.  Conceptually, I prefer this approach under my Tour Master jackets because it lets me buy 1 shirt and wear it under any of my several riding jackets and be well protected, versus buying more protective jackets that all carry a higher price tag. 

Attachments

• TnL TShirt.jpg
    TnL TShirt.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 140
Thanks for taking the time to write up a long description of your initial observations on the shirt.

Was there much choice of colors?

Durability of the fabric itself will be interesting during your first riding season.

:iagree:  Good write-up; very informative. 

I was wondering about the collar.  It looks fairly thick.  Do you think it will be a problem as far as your neck goes?  You can wear a light base layer for the rest of the shirt, but most base layers do not have much of a collar...

Well, good questions.

The color choices in the t-shirt appear to be blk, wht and gry.  There are some jacket styles that are more along the lines of safety colors - orange, yellow, etc.

For me, I think the collar is more of something to just get used to because when cold I might have a turtleneck or something similar on so it would not be against my skin and when hot, I'll probably not have my jacket zipped all the way up, so there would be no added weight on it and therefore likely not bother me.  As you can tell from my shirt dimensions, I have a pretty average to small neck size, if I had a 16.5 or larger neck size, I think it would be a bit annoying and potentially an irritant. 

Perhaps after my first ride (and wash) at the end of the month, I'll have a better perspective on these points.  I'll certainly post if anything changes in my opinion. 

Also, I did e-mail with the company this morning and 188.98 is the correct price.  Either I mis-heard it or the rep mis-spoke at the $160, but count on $200 all in if you order one.

Unless I am reading this wrong the tee shirt is not good for protection...
"This shirt is NOT cut resistance or abrasion resistance."

Ok, so I rode with the TuffnLite shirt this weekend.  Thankfully, I have no idea if it offered me any additional protection, but given their videos, I suspect it did.

It wore pretty well.  I had a regular cotton T as my base layer with the TnL shirt next then my Tourmaster Flex jacket in full perf mode.  Temp ranged from 68-84. 

The TnL shirt did breathe nicely, even better I'm quite sure had I not had the base T on as well.  The thumb loops are handy and mostly unnoticeable once on.  The TnL material against my arms was fine as I suspected. However the rather tight and sturdy collar did irritate my neck a bit most of the weekend.  It seemed to get a little better over time, so either I got used to it or it started to 'give' a little.  I suspect in winter this could be a bit more of a problem unless your base layer has a bit more neck coverage than a basic T.

It washed pretty well and air dried quickly.

I was considering the Long Boxers as well, but honestly I'm not sure I could get comfortable wearing them.  Perhaps if the shirt gets softer over time, I'll try them, but for now all I can say is you better have a pretty good base layer on if you go this route....

Hope this is helpful.

seagiant1 said:
Hi,

Just thought of that huh? My Motoport needs an extra layer under it when the temps are under 70. Flows air crazy.  Anxious to get rid of this Midwest  rain and find out look forward to seeing some of this gearwhat the sun feels like in the jacket. Looking at the pics I am not sure about the shirt...though I really look forward to seeing it in person. Nice idea with the thumb holes.

seagiant1 said:
Hi,

Hey, I wore a kevlar bullet proof vest for years and can tell you it was stinkin' hot! If it wasn't for the fact that it'd stop a bullet I would have thrown that thing away! Granted, it's a little thicker than the gear we wear but not by a lot (they've made big advancements/improvements in that technology) but keep in mind that a bullet proof vest is covering the chest and a little below that...not full coverage and it was still really hot!

MikeB_CA said:
seagiant1 said:
Hi,

Hey, I wore a kevlar bullet proof vest for years and can tell you it was stinkin' hot! If it wasn't for the fact that it'd stop a bullet I would have thrown that thing away! Granted, it's a little thicker than the gear we wear but not by a lot (they've made big advancements/improvements in that technology) but keep in mind that a bullet proof vest is covering the chest and a little below that...not full coverage and it was still really hot!

Um...apples & oranges.
Abrasion resistant requires one layer of a ventilated weave.
Bulletproof requires many layers of very dense weave.

Flat-spot said:
MikeB_CA said:
seagiant1 said:
Hi,

Um...apples & oranges.
Abrasion resistant requires one layer of a ventilated weave.
Bulletproof requires many layers of very dense weave.

Still hot