• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

UPDATE on my mostly Ti C14 exhaust

Arata

Bicycle
It's finally done!!!!!!

On the other board, I mentioned my winter project of installing a Sato ZX14 single Titanium exhaust on my C14.

Removing the old exhaust, and mounting up the Ti headpipes and collector pipe was no problem.

The midpipe had to be cut, a couple of inches past the mounting tab that is underneath. This also saved the bung for an autotune.

I then started searching for someone to custom fab me a new pipe to connect the cut mid-pipe to the can.

This turned out to be a real problem.  I talked to several "experts" who promised, but couldn't deliver.

It literally took several months of talking to exhaust shops, and taking the bike for people to look at, before I was confortable enough with a shop to do the work.

Part of the problem was the diameter of the pipe, it is a Japanese made pipe, sized in mm, so finding the correct sized stainless pipe was an issue.

The other problem, was that I wanted mandrel bent pipe.  The shop and I decided that 2.5" pre mandrel bent pieces, welded together would be the best solution.

The 2.5" was slightly larger than the Sato pipe, but the alternative was use a 2.25", but that's smaller than the Sato, and you can't get as many pre bent shapes.

The custom pipe was welded up in three pieces, slips over the cut part of the mid-pipe, and was reduced to fit inside the muffler.

The shop added some original style spring loops that I purchased, and welded on a tab for the centerstand stop.

I clamped the stainless pipe at the Ti midpipe with the original Kawi clamp from the stock pipe.

The shop was Rich's Performance in Wylie, Texas.  Rich personally answered all of my initial E-mails and questions, and did all of the work himself.

http://richs-performance-mufflers.com/index.html

The bike sounds great, but it is a bit loud.  It has a definite sport bike snarl.

Here are a few pics that I took along the way.

I will add some finished pics, I don't have any just yet.

I also plan to Dyno the bike as soon as I get the PCV and Autotune sorted out.

001.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

nice, not sure why you did this tho, but nice looking..... caution, Titanium is verey sensitive to Migrated Cadmium (from bolts and such...) and can be compromised (i.e. ti will strexss fracture) when in contact with cad plated fasteners.....

Do a lot of Airfcraft and Mil-Spec stuff.... you can't mix wrenches used on Cad plated parts with those on Titanium bolts....just warning. I'm sure you are dealing with alloys, so prolly a no worry situation.

MAN OF BLUES said:
nice, not sure why you did this tho, but nice looking.....

I did this because there isn't a quality full system for the C14, IMO.

That, and I got the pipe real cheap on E-Bay. 

I should have the finished pics up tomorrow.

Hmm,
I'll bet a lot ofguys running the Area P full system would idsagree with the quality pipe statement.  I have no direct experience with it so I can't comment.
I'm thinking Muzzy's, or possibly Holeshot, is in my near future.

No insult inteneded to anyone with an Area P system.

I got a good deal on a used Area P , then passed it on to another member.

here are the final pics!

024.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg