• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Updated review of my Mountain Runner Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigk64

Ride to eat, eat to ride
  Well, I searched for my original first impression review of the Mountain Runner Flash I did earlier this spring after limited riding do to the weather here in Indiana. And could not find it. So here is a short recap, I now have a 2017 with the Mountain Runner Flash after riding an 08 without any flash for nine years. And riding the 2017 six month without the flash. After the flash I noticed it to be a little smoother and that since I leaned more to the touring side of sport touring I did not notice a big power increase. At that time I could not report on fuel mileage because I had not road enough miles. Plus it still had the winter blend fuel which gets lower MPG anyway.
    So, my wife and I took our annual week long motorcycle vacation last week. And we went to Gettysburg Pa. to join up and ride with some friends of another club. Our trip took us through the mountains of West Virginia, Maryland and Southeast Pa. So it prove to be a better testing ground for the flash.
    Here is my new review on the flash. Now this was all two up riding packed for a trip so we were at max payload+, I also have a larger windshield that was fully extend most of the time. First thing I notice after being on the open road was it not only seen to shift smoother, It also ran smoother. My wife also noticed and commented that it felt smoother. Second thing I noticed was the new power band and more pull. I use to drop to fourth gear to pass on two lane roads. I was now able to just twist the throttle in OD(6th gear) from the 55-60mph range and zip right around cars. Also much smoother this way. I also noticed about a 5 mpg increase in my fuel mileage, which put me between 43 and 44 mpg average. This was all noticed the first day will riding through flat land of Indiana and Ohio and continued the whole trip. When we got to the hills and curves I notice the new deceleration aspects. Before the flash I felt like I was fighting to get the bike slowed down enough to make the curves when going down hill. Never seemed to be enough engine braking for my liking. After the flash I felt much more in control and in tune with the bike. Which made for a much more enjoyable ride.
  So in closing I thought about this for a long time, and I am glad I did it and wish I had done it sooner. I do have one question that keeps popping in my head. If you get more, smoother power and better fuel economy why big K did not program it this way to begin with? I guess we will never know. 

Status
Not open for further replies.