• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

US129Photos @ The Tail of the Dragon

OK, here's a few trips worth!  :)

2009 COG National on the C14

2007 on the Mean Streak

2008 on the C14

John said:
Bob:

Got one question, did you enjoy it?  bgof

Yes I did. But to be honest, I probably enjoy the other roads in the area better. The Dragon is always a must ride. I find it a little too technical with so many tight turns, to want to ride the road a lot. That turns it too much into work!  :))
I actually like roads like 28, the Cherohala, the foot hills parkway, etc. better. So I spend more time riding other roads rather than back and forth on the dragon (like some guys do). But most roads in the area are nice riding. Even the more main roads!  :)

Cap'n Bob said:
John said:
Bob:

Yes I did. But to be honest, I probably enjoy the other roads in the area better. The Dragon is always a must ride. I find it a little too technical with so many tight turns, to want to ride the road a lot. That turns it too much into work!  :))
I actually like roads like 28, the Cherohala, the foot hills parkway, etc. better. So I spend more time riding other roads rather than back and forth on the dragon (like some guys do). But most roads in the area are nice riding. Even the more main roads!  :)

Dad and I just rode the Skyway and Dragon yesterday, and dang if we didnt get behind SLOW weekend warriors the whole way, we couldnt fully enjoy it. It was a nice ride, about 250 miles altogether. 

About dropped mine, we stopped on top of the foothills parkway, and I pulled sideways into a parking spot cause noone else was around and there was still a slope.  My gf has a hard time getting off (PUN intended) the bike so I get off the bike first and push the bike to its side more on the sidestand.  I dunno if she wobbled a little in the seat or just gravity, the connie started to lean over the right side, I just caught it and couldnt get it pushed back over.  Glad dad was there to help me get it back over to on its side stand.  that was my first close call on her.

John said:
Bob:

Also John, I meant to include a thank you for all the work you guys did to put on the 09 National there in Fontana, for us to enjoy!  But I forgot it and left it out. So this additional post with a very big thank you to you and your staff for a very nice event! I really had a great time! It would be a good spot for a future event! Hint, hint!  ;)

Rabbott5, what are the yellow bags on the Connie? How attached? Where to get them? Looks good fer a long trip.

When we are up that way we always ride the Dragon because (like you said) it is a "Must Ride".  8)
Every time I ride it I swear I'll never do it again. Too many idiots. (Both fast and S-L-O=W Idiots), and some idiots that ride like me.....  :mad:

There are sooo many other roads in that area that we love the area...

But, knowing me,,, I'll be back on the Dragon next time.... (I'll never learn)    :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

At the 2009 National Rally with Colin puling up the rear...

565797091_GTqAx-M.jpg

Bob:

I had some insight to Fontana, so the Thanks goes to my parents for dragging me there for a gospel singing.  I won't say how long ago that was, just say I was a child.    :) 

As for your thoughts on the roads there, hwy 28 (Stecoah to the Dam) is my favorite.  A good mix of things, great scenery, very little traffic, and what else can you ask for, I know, no fuzz.  Another favorite would be Wayah Rd., and there is also the dual sport Cherohala, awesome.  Ken can show you that one as he is the guru on it.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Even with all the time I spent in that area there are still roads I've not been on, so you know what that means, go back as often as possible. 

tcars
John

Cap'n Bob said:
John said:
Bob:

Also John, I meant to include a thank you for all the work you guys did to put on the 09 National there in Fontana, for us to enjoy!  But I forgot it and left it out. So this additional post with a very big thank you to you and your staff for a very nice event! I really had a great time! It would be a good spot for a future event! Hint, hint!  ;)

[/quote]

Also John, this additional post.  It would be a good spot for a future event! Hint, hint!  ;)
[/quote]

Bob and all others:

You are Welcome for the words of Thanks.  As for a future event, I will make you aware that the Winding Rivers and Roads Rally is to be held only a few miles away, IronHorse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, which is just off highway 28.  Also this past Run With The Wolf Rally was held in Hiawassee, which is not that far from Fontana Village.  Yes, I know and agree, it is not the same, it is not Fontana Village Resort.  Seems we keep having events in the area, but not at Fontana.  I'm going to make a mental note of that, so you could say "it is on the bucket list!"    bgof 

They are waterproof bags I bought in the camping section of our local Walmart.  Almost any outdoor store carries them as well as getting them online. They are pretty water proof.  I don't remember the name brand of the straps I used. (I'll try to look it up.) The front strap went around the sub frame and the back strap went around the passenger handle.  Sorry for the late post, I've been out riding. 
connie_rider said:
Rabbott5, what are the yellow bags on the Connie? How attached? Where to get them? Looks good fer a long trip.

When we are up that way we always ride the Dragon because (like you said) it is a "Must Ride".  8)
Every time I ride it I swear I'll never do it again. Too many idiots. (Both fast and S-L-O=W Idiots), and some idiots that ride like me.....  :mad:

But, knowing me,,, I'll be back on the Dragon next time.... (I'll never learn)    :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Update! I got off my butt and looked.  I think the bag is the 25L. Here are links for information on the bags and straps.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/7914/Helen_Twowheels_Super_Pack_Straps

http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/25l-valuables-dry-bag/163
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Here I am trying (futilely) to stay ahead of my son on his tricked out Suzuki supermoto (gaining rapidly in the background).  I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but is the Connie a beautiful bike or what.

Attachments

• 4p The Dragon - Joe's coming smaller.jpg
    4p The Dragon - Joe's coming smaller.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 108