• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

using car tires

mellow yellow

Street Cruiser
I think that this issue has been discussed already. but I just got the july issue of rider's magazine, and there's a interesting article about why the motorcycle and tire manufacturers don't recommend using car tires on a motorcycle.

img_4507.jpg

:rotflmao:

Attached is a pic of me from Killboy in July 2010 on my Honda PC800(retouched you can see a few sparks). I made his weekly highlights with his caption "Don't scratch yer plastic". Rear tire is a BFG TA radial and it gave me 25,732 awesome miles. It may not be for everybody, but it sure works great for me. I'll soon be going "dark" on my newly acquired '05 Connie(danodemotoman method). Enjoy fun & safe riding!!!  Dave "YT" Hoover

Attachments

• killboy pic.jpg
    killboy pic.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 151
  • killboy retouched.jpg
    killboy retouched.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 148
The article professes to be unbiased but soon uses many negative, wrong and ridiculous camparisons. Along with labeling those who are proponents. Not unlike those who consider we are in a cult due to riding either or both the venerable C10 and KLR650.
Yes the rear ct on a mc handles differently. Like any rider knows going to a diff MC tire or a diif bike, we either adjust or we decide that one is not for me.
I am not at all surpised by the entities he uses in the article who are against this. First and foremost  is liability. How many shops now refuse to install a one size width difference MC tire on a bike. Happened to me and they only had that tire so ended up in the Montrose Nat'l rally parking lot changing it with help (thanks).
NONE of the supposed experts have EVER used a ct on a mc. It'd called TESTING! They have special labs for this!
Would you buy a MC endorsed by a mag article when the author has never ridden it.  I can only assume he was offered to ride a rear ct'd bike. I tell those who are curious that in my opinion one needs to ride a thousand miles before deciding as the adjustment period is not the same for all riders.
The author is not open minded as he states as the article clearly shows primarily one side.
A very major reason for the anti bias for business' is........ BUSINESS! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I am a darksider and the cost effectiveness is a bonus.
Better traction in all conditions and attitudes  Yes, that includes corners. :-[

mellow yellow said:
I think that this issue has been discussed already. but I just got the july issue of rider's magazine, and there's a interesting article about why the motorcycle and tire manufacturers don't recommend using car tires on a motorcycle.

Guys, do we really want to run down this road?  This topic is too similar to the Helmet/No Helmet discussion; each side presents its points (sometimes very vigorously) and (virtually) never are any minds changed.

I may not agree, but still enjoy reading other's opinions. I think dandemotoman presented his case very effectively. A few more posts like that, and maybe I'll consider it.

Bottom line is....its your bike....you decide . I just get concerned for the unexperianced rider who reads this and does it to save money than gets hurt due to handeling issues .

Yes, I do concur, including all the farkles and other mods that are also presented, like steering head adjustment, brake work, etc....    :p
If we all use the same criteria evaluating every mod we would all be walking. :rotflmao:

cra-z1000 said:
Bottom line is....its your bike....you decide . I just get concerned for the unexperianced rider who reads this and does it to save money than gets hurt due to handeling issues .

I had oportunity to ride with a few guys to Americade. One of the 5 bikes in our pack riding down had a car tire (on a Yamaha Cruiser). The rider who I had just met previous to the ride , said he had done his research and made his decision......nuff said.

It was his first ride out of town. I followed him for many miles and tried to observe the tire as we were on some good twisties at times. He seemed to always end up very close to the outside at the exit of a corner, and it was apparent at times that this was not his intent. All in all it did the job okay.

Dan, my concern is how this setup would work in the corners in the pouring rain? What is your experience in this situation?

I am only curious and have never actually seen a ct on the road until now. I could see where it would be a great tire life extender and if you road a lot of slab might be a consideration on a cruiser type bike.....just thinkin out loud.

Canadian Steve,

It works very well in the corners.
More traction in all conditions and attitudes. That includes wet.

I ride with two Goldwingers that have a rear car tire. Some kind of "Run-Flat" and the handling seems fine. The one GW ran the Skyline Drive and Blueridge Parkway with speed and I followed and all looked fine for handling. Then again a GW does not have the HP or torque a C-14 has.

I would not use a car tire on a C-14 but I might use one on a GW.

Nah, I'm not thinking photoshop.  I've not seen Killboy do such things.  I think that bike were set up for draggin, not curvin.  :)

25k on a car tire on my VTX.  Not planning on doing it on a concours anytime terrible soon, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it.  Don't fool yourself into thinking you have MORE contact with a MC tire. 

The "article" is TERRIBLE journalism.  Simply stated, it's ad ad hominem op ed piece.

I went "Dark" on my '05 Concours 2 months ago. I have since enjoyed 2,900 great miles. I used a 15" ZL wheel and went with the Federal SS-657 in a 165/80R-15(aka-danodemotoman method). Superior traction and smoothness of ride under all conditions, venues, attitudes, etc. I had about 30,000 "dark miles" on my previous bike, a Honda Pacific Coast. Dark/Darkside= using a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle. Enjoy fun and safe riding!!! Dave "YT" Hoover

Attachments

• Kaw Dark 002.JPG
    Kaw Dark 002.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Dark Kaw 002.JPG
    Dark Kaw 002.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Dark Kaw 001.JPG
    Dark Kaw 001.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 111
On a recent local "group" ride I took sweep position and followed Dan who was incidentally two up for approximately 200 miles of "tail of the dragon" style roads. (arguably better!  :) ) and only once was I concerned with his traction and that was with his front tire in a loose dirt situation. In fact at this particular corner I was concerned about all the riders fration including my own! Oh and I have gone to the light side (17" conversion front and rear  :great:)

This whole debate on a CT on a MC or even changing wheels to have better tire choices at least IMHO is moot. If it works for you then great. It is a matter of choice.

In the event I am unable to be open-minded enough to learn not only from other people's successes, but also their mistakes, I might as well be an ostrich with my head in the sand. Some would say I have been successful. Others would say I have made a mistake. I am doing what works well for me. Enjoy fun & safe riding!  Dave "YT" Hoover