• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valve adjustment question

howiwishu614508

About to do my umpteenth valve adjustment (the mechanical equivalent of a root canal) and for the life of me, don't remember what wrench size I need for turning the timing rotor nut. In the Clymer manual, they show a picture with a box end wrench on it and it looks to be a 24mm. Does this sound right?

Factory manual says “using wrench oncrankshaft nut”.
Picture shows arrow pointing to big nut behind small nut. Looks like 24mm would be about right
HTH

Yep, that's my take on it too. Checked and I can't find a 24 in my collection so its off to Harbor Freight I go.

Thanks for the reply and help. Drive safe,

WAIT!!!
If you're referring to the nut on the Timing plate, "that Nut is NOT a nut" and you should NOT turn the engine using it. (Particularly if the sparkplugs are in the engine)

Explanation; That nut is setting on a pin that can possibly shear when you rotate the engine with it.
If you shear that pin, you would have to remove/reinstall the crankshaft to repair.

To turn the engine, it is best to remove the sparkplugs and use an Allen wrench in the socket head cap screw.
You can back the allen wrench {by using the nut you're referring to} if most of the force is put against the socket head cap screw.

NOTE:
Many do use the nut, and most of the time it isn't an issue.
But one oops and you'd be in a bad way.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: