• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valve check or carb synch first

cragantler

Could be seen as stupid question: Do I adjust the valves before doing a carb synch or synch first.
Figured I could do a read of carbs easily of.
Thanks

Valves. Definitely the valves. Bikers have a bad tendency to neglect this incredibly important aspect of motorcycle ownership. And that includes me, I am overdue for an adjustment, myself. Reason being is because it sucks...doing a valve adjustment. I'd gladly pay someone to do it for me, but I dont trust anyone I know here in Louisiana to do it right. Face it, with bikes this old, you need to be your own mechanic. End of story.

Valves. Definitely the valves. Bikers have a bad tendency to neglect this incredibly important aspect of motorcycle ownership. And that includes me, I am overdue for an adjustment, myself. Reason being is because it sucks...doing a valve adjustment. I'd gladly pay someone to do it for me, but I dont trust anyone I know here in Louisiana to do it right. Face it, with bikes this old, you need to be your own mechanic. End of story.
Most motorcycle shops have no desire to work on a 20-30 year old bike. BTDT. Had one that failed 3 times on a head gasket and base gasket job. I had been turned down multiple times before I found the shop that screwed it up. A bunch of new bike dealers aren't even proficient working with the KDS for the C14. You might reach out to your area director or the assistant area director and see if they can connect you to some members in your area that are willing to help you learn how to work on a C10. I see there are 13 members in Louisiana listed in the members directory. There might be others in other states that are close to you as well. Many COG members are willing to help if asked.

BUD. I had a 98 Honda Valkyrie. That needed the carbs redone and my local Honda shop were I bought the bike from would not work on it because it was more than 10 years old. They sell Honda, Suzuki, And Yamaha's. over the years I have bought 10 new bikes from them. I was absolutely pissed about this. It did me no good to voice my opinion they were not going to work on my bike. I finally found a place in Pensacola that had a seasoned 30 year Honda mechanic that redone my carbs. He did a great job and I never had another problem with it. He replaced all the hoses under the tank and also put a new Honda air filter in it while he had the tank off. I have never been in that shop again to buy anything. It is very hard to find a mechanic you can trust. They just do not care

Dean

Most motorcycle shops have no desire to work on a 20-30 year old bike. BTDT. Had one that failed 3 times on a head gasket and base gasket job. I had been turned down multiple times before I found the shop that screwed it up. A bunch of new bike dealers aren't even proficient working with the KDS for the C14. You might reach out to your area director or the assistant area director and see if they can connect you to some members in your area that are willing to help you learn how to work on a C10. I see there are 13 members in Louisiana listed in the members directory. There might be others in other states that are close to you as well. Many COG members are willing to help if asked.
heck he could sponsor a tech day at his place... those are fun...

I thought about suggesting that.

Especially fun when you get to watch two newbies change the rear brake pads and then repeatedly try to bleed the lines using the clutch master cylinder. (Don’t ask- I’m sworn to secrecy. But both members have gone on to become accomplished mechanics thanks to club member coaching.) 😉. Tech sessions are great!

It’s not difficult at all just time consuming. A bike with tight intake vale’s will be hard starting. Don’t get over whelmed in your head about the job. Just start with one cylinder at a time. Likely they are out of spec and your bike will run better and you will feel accomplished for doing the job There are videos of how to do it on a c10 on YouTube.