• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valve noise at startup

SKR

Big Wheel
Hi everyone I'm a newby Steve Rogers and live in eastern Arizona, I own a 06 concours for about a year now my question is if the bike has been setting for a few hours, when I start it there is a upper engine noise like a loose valve. kinda like an old ford truck that the lifter has to fill up with oil and then it quits down. it stops after it warms up. is this normal? Thanks

Change oil and filter maybe you had some trash in your lifter. Use 100% synthetic and go for nothing heavier than 10 W 40 if possible.

Welcome. It's not a quiet & smooth engine. Ride more, worry less! 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Thanks for the info, I've had a couple of voyagers but this it the first Connie, and wasn't sure about the noise. On the voyagers the cam chain tension-er was the problems. I thought about adjusting the valves but when it stops making the noise after it warms up they might be to tight. I'll try the synthetic oil change first. not to worried about it, just a little annoying. Thanks All

I don't want to influence you any but I have had a long and happy association with Mobil 1 synthetic oils. Been using it for many years in everything I own. I have a 1990 ST-1100 with close to 200,000 miles on it with Mobil 1 it's only oil since new. Still burns zero oil and has not needed a valve adjustment since it's initial 6000 mile adjustment. I change it out every 8000 miles along with the filter. Even though you live in Arizona and want all the oil viscosity you can muster in the heat, If you use 20 W 50 that could be the cause of your click. Not recommended if you use full synthetics. Thinner oils flow through the engine better than the thicker ones and cool and lubricate better. I use a 0 W 30 in my new GMC Yukon.

Some connies did have tensioner problems. My 06 did the same thing sometimes. I switched to a manual adjuster but some have streched their springs I think.

I have an 06 also 55,000 miles. No problems. I do use Mobil 1 or Amsoil. What Paulie said. If you wanted quiet and whiny you should have bought a Honda.

Hi Steve; Your description of the "upper engine noise when cold" sounds suspiciously like the typical cam chain noise many of these engines make when cold. My 86 was notable in that regard. If you can't stand it, you could manually advance the tensioner by one click/tooth. If you can be patient it will eventually adjust on it's own. Many folks go with a manual adjuster as 50blue mentioned. Check the tech pages for cam chain tensioner info, try the suggested method and see if your noise goes away. If you adjust the valves I recommend adjusting to the widest spec (.007" intake, .009" exhaust IIRC). There will be no danger of lack of clearance after the engine is warm even if tolerances are to the tight side of spec.

RBin Tex... Lifter? We have lifters on these bikes. Not in my '03. Maybe one or more of his valves are noisy but "We don't got no stinkin' lifters". Just an FYI. Aging is scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker!