• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valves are still PERFECT...

con_ndrm

Tricycle
Just had the full service completed on my C14 yesterday. Yes I was VERY late on it I know, please don't tell Mama Kawi on me! ;) NO VALVE ADJUSTMENT! This now makes 41k miles (40,777 to be exact), and not a SINGLE valve has needed adjusted yet. All but two intake and 3 exhaust are perfectly in the center of the range; and those 2&3 are on the low end of the range, which my mech tells me is good news. That's a good thing too - it's 8 hrs labor to get far enough to check (and do the rest of the service of course, and Bud tells me it'd be another 3-4 hours if he had to actually adjust one... Have I mentioned I LOVE this bike??!? :p John 2008 Concours14 "Conundrum",2006 Blue ZX-14 "Zexy" COG # 6819,AMA # 840034,ROK # 398016 PROUD owner of a Concours14 - 41k mi. and rising and I LOVE IT!!!
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

I just had mine checked also after 15.6K miles with the same results. All of the readings were in the lower one-half of the tolerance range but still in specs. I expect the initial wear and bedding-in is completed and they will now be stable for a long time. I don't expect to go into them again for another 20-25K miles. I pulled all of the fairing, etc. off of my bike before I took it in so the dealer's time was only 2 1/4 hours. Edit: With all of the fairings, etc. off the bike, I took the opportunity yesterday to check and see how closely the throttle bodies were synched. I have a vacuum line on each throttle body port so can use my Twin-Max unit on two ports at a time. Checked 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then 1 and 4. They were all very closely synched. No adjustments required. No wonder my engine runs so smoothly.

21k and only one valve did not need new shims. C- balancer and T- bodies all out of adjustment. New plugs installed for good luck. Ready to roll again.

thats not fair! i just did mine (15,4k) and each one was either too tight, or right on the edge. two of them were scary tight. i wonder what makes some bikes seat more than others? Tom Hess North Charleston, SC COG #8406 IBA #30337 CDA #248 (C10) 97 c10 (former) 08 c14 (current)

Tom, It's called 'clean living'. That's how some of us end up with valve clearances that are still in tolerance and others need to make adjustments. I don't know any other way to explain it.

Not only do I wish my C10 would not need valve adjust. I wish I knew it didn't need it without checking. At least you can check a bit less often. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I think these shim-under-bucket schemes are pretty nice. None of my FJR riding buds have had their valves adjusted, many with over 50,000 miles on them. I haven't had mine checked since I got it. Presently has 30K on it. Goes like hell, still great mileage. Why fix it if'n it ain't broke? Also, it's $350 to have it checked.LOL Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

chuck, not sure i follow you...what does clean living mean? if youre referring to riding conservatively, i fall into that category. my c14 is my ONLY mode of transportation, so im not gonna thrash it and risk having a denial of warranty. not sure what else that would mean..enlighten me?! Tom Hess North Charleston, SC COG #8406 IBA #30337 CDA #248 (C10) 97 c10 (former) 08 c14 (current)

Darrell, the interval for valve check/adjust is 15,000 miles on the C14 and as was posted above its 8 hours labor for the full job and Chuck got his down to 2 1/2 hours by bringing the bike in with the body work stripped off already. The cost would depend on what the dealer gets for labor per hour. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Hey Darrell, how's it going? All the bones aligning back up OK? I'm doing pretty good but this damn winter weather hanging in hurts. Thinking of a C14? Want me to scout the locals around here to see what's available. I work almost next door to Renton Motorsports (Hon/Kaw/Yam/Suz)