• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wanna Connie Blues...

bobframe

Big Wheel
I am currently riding an ST1300 and have got a BAD case of the "Wanna Connie Blues".  In fact I have one in my sights and have a fairly elaborate Fly-and-Ride in mind should I actually pull the trigger.

But, I have never ridden one and have only briefly talked to a Concours14 owner about them (he raved).  Still, I know that no bike is perfect and what I'd like to ask here is this:

Name the three things you'd like to see Kawasaki change/improve/eliminate with the 2010-11 version of the Concours14 ABS.

As an example, if you asked me this question regarding the ST I'd answer 1) Improve the stock seat, 2) Fix the digital display- it's unreadable and 3) Fix the engine heat.

Thanks!!

I have less than 300 miles on my brand new c14. I come from a Honda VTX 1800, so this is my first sport touring machine.

1.  The stock grips blow. I felt instant pain from them on the ride home. I was extremely happy when my hands got numb. I dont know what the problem is but I suspect some combo of grips, risers, and or wedges will help.

2.  Kipass takes some getting used to. I don't know yet if I like or dislike it. I could live without it just fine for sure.

3. Lack of tip over protection is maddening.

Other than that I am amazed by my Connie. Ill have to put some more miles on, but I'm actually impressed by the seat. It seems to fit me and my wife. I'm anxious to put a full days ride on it. Until then I'll reserve final judgement. I can't recommend this high enough. I love it.

Improve or eliminate:

KIPASS - Either make it totally key-less or remove it all together. (it has questionable reliability at best).
TPS system- Make it reliable, with sensors that actually work in cooler temps and last the 5 years planed.
dash display- Redesign it. Warnings should not take over the whole dash!
OEM seat- Of course subjective to opinions. Personally, I think it sucks.

Could install to improve the breed:

factory cruise control
dual exhaust like the ZX14, instead if the ugly howitzer they installed.

Of course everyone's opinions vary on stuff like this. But the bike itself is on a great platform. A few tweaks would make it much nicer.

What's the problem(s) with the KIPASS system?  I've read that it will drain a battery.  I shudder to think an the idiotic key system stranding me.

I agree w/ Capt Bob.

I had a 2005 ST1300 and just could not get the seat right. I wish I had sprung for a Russell Day Long for it. I loved the bike otherwise. Even now, after 10,000 miles on the Concours (2010) I still tell people that if I was going cross country, I'd choose the ST1300 over the Concours. The Concours cant be beat for performance, but the ST is a better distance touring bike.
I actually traded my Goldwing for the C14--the GW was just "too big" for what I needed.

Things I'd change:
1. Extend the range of motion of the windshield
2. Electronic cruise control
3. Replace the stock seat-- my Russell is perfect!!!

bob said:
What's the problem(s) with the KIPASS system?  I've read that it will drain a battery.  I shudder to think an the idiotic key system stranding me.

I really don't want to get into the KIPASS stuff. It tends to make threads take a down hill turn (IMO). I will just say that it has been a problem for some, and a glitch on quite a few. Although Kawasaki might have addressed this problem. The systems reliability down the road, as well as previous bikes is unknown. I personally traded in my C14 for another bike because of my particular C14's system's unreliability. I have always viewed the system as an unessary gimmick. So a normal key switch IMO, would make the C14 a better motorcycle. This is just my opinion though. So please, lets just leave it at that and not turn this into a KIPASS thread. The C14 is a great bike and I do recommend it to people. Even though it has the system.

1. Fix the linked brake system so it doesn't pulse the brake levers and change the engagement point of the rear brake lever, or at least give us an OFF mode in addition to the HIGH and LOW modes.

2. Add some built in Tip Over Protection to the bike like Concours owners have been begging for since 1986.

3. Do something about that honkin huge muffler. Either down size it or go to a dual exhaust. If it looked like the CS1 pipe it would be perfect.

Ok, I know you said three, but I have a couple more....

4. Give us a way to switch to a more aggressive map that opens the butterflies sooner like we can switch to the Economy mode.

5. Reduce the seat height an inch or two, the Concours has always been just a tad too tall for most folks and it makes it hard to maneuver at slow speeds and easy to drop. Or even better yet, make the seat height ADJUSTABLE like it is on the FJR.

I came from 26 years of Gold Wing riding, so I'm spoiled  ;D
It needs tip over protection
It could be a little lower
I wish it had a bigger fuel tank (5.8 gls is to small)
Somewhere to mount highway pegs.
I don't have a problem with the KiPASS you just have to remember NOT to turn the bike off using the kill switch and leaving the key on or your battery will go dead. BUT unlike most other bikes a good thing is the headlights don't go until you start the bike, most others go on as soon as you turn the key on

Several (maybe all) have mentioned tip over protection.  Are there good aftermarket solutions?  I suspect that trashing the plastic on one of these could total the bike.

Surely there's a more significant issue with the KIPASS system than forgetting to turn it off.  I don't want to start WW3 here, but I'm not satisfied that I have an understanding of the issue.  Point me to an older thread if its already been thoroughly shredded before.

Search is your friend.

The lack of tipover protection stock is annoying.  There are several aftermarket options.  Some are ugly.  Some are expensive.

The lack of an electronic cruise is annoying.

The lack of maps, and the fact that the system doesn't REMEMBER that you were in eco mode when you turn off the engine is annoying. 

1... needs cruise...

2... needs more fuel...

3... bad seat...

4... poor hand position...

5... nasty right pull/turn-in due to worse muffler ever...

I fixed it all with $1,000 except the fuel issue.  I'll deal with it.

"... if you can't say something nice, then ..."

1... It goes like hell!

2... All Kawasaki markings came off quite easily except for the molded moniker between the rear turn signals so, the gold NORTON stickers look great on the black fairing and boy am I having fun with the Harley Guys!

3,400 miles on my 2011.

3 Most Important Changes:
1. Adjustable grip angle. (To eliminate hand numbness).
2. Electronic cruise control. (Just needs it, and would help hand numbness also).
3. Larger gas tank. (Mileage is better in ECO mode, but still needs another gallon or so).

Minor Issues:
a. Ugly muffler! (I enjoy the quiet, but that thing is just TOO long.)
b. A third option of the linked breaking, OFF.
c. Slightly redesign windshield for us taller guys. (Less buffeting when up, but still small enough to lower and get some air when it's 105 degrees outside.)
d. Take the forward slant out of the seat. (I don't have a problem with the feel, but I do slide forward a little.)
e. Have the bike "remember" that you were in ECO mode when you turned it off and have it restart in that mode.

Economical tip over protection. The protection is available, but lube is not included.

Full low end power available without mods...Please, its available, and  free. Stop trying to make a 1400 cc bike beginner proof. Its insulting. To get it I have to pay 350.00 for  a remap and risk a warranty violation.

Throwing 1/2 of the electronic goods away would probably be ok.

Having said that, if they showed me a list of 30 changes, I would want to discuss them. The cartoonish high 6th gear is amazing for 90mph travel. The bike feels completely and totally relaxed. For me, thats the point of  a large bike..the feel. After all, a Ninja 250 will go fast enough to get speeding tickets.

Also, despite the weight of the bike, Kawasaki left enough sport in the bike for it to feel amazing and do what I thought would have been impossible before owning the bike. A bike weighing as much as 2 ladies shopping at Wal Mart should not feel this competent in the canyons.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how bright the blue hi-beam light is as night.  I'm tempted to stick a small patch of duct tape over the light.  It's very bright at night and shines right into my eyes - annoying and a potential danger.

Ianintheusa said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how bright the blue hi-beam light is as night.  I'm tempted to stick a small patch of duct tape over the light.  It's very bright at night and shines right into my eyes - annoying and a potential danger.

+1. Absolutely! Don't know why I overlooked that one, but it is quite a problem. You're turning on the high beams to see better, only to be nearly blinded by that light. I'm sure that it's that way so that you can see it in the daytime, but how often are you really turning it on when the sun's up. (Maybe some people do it to increase the chances of being seen by the cagers?)

I sold my 2006 Goldwing two years ago and took a time out from riding but I got the ride itch so bad that I purchased a 2011 Connie four weeks ago. I have put 1,979 miles on the Connie so I have a pretty good idea of what changes I would like to see in the future.

1. Cruise control
2. The seat blows and it's about an inch to high, I have order the Kawasaki low gel seat
3. Two inches added to the windshield height
Other stuff

1. Self cancelling signal lights
2. Tip over protection
3. Lager gas tank
4. Softer hand grips to help suck up the vibration, the stock grips are as hard as a rock

I don't want another Goldwing, the Connie is a great touring bike but it just needs a few more things to make it perfect.