• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Was it Me?

OMoaC

So we are rolling down the I40 coming into Kingman AZ from Cortez hauling the hospitality trailer. In the slow lane doing 70 on a marked 75 mph freeway (2 lanes). On the entrance ramp rolls an American V twin (no slam. Relax). I'm watching him to see if I need to slow to let him merge or not as he is next to us. We look out for each other right? He looks over and see's us, speeds up to merge in front of us.........................and then slows down to 55? Not suddenly but enough. I'm on the brakes hauling down about 10 tons of moving metal and wondering WTF and What's this guy doing? I didn't jam him and keep my distance and flash my light's saying c'mon dude, Speed limit please? He grabs brakes and point's at the passing lane which would've been an option except my exit was a half mile ahead and by the time I got around him pulling that trailer I'da been screwed. So we rolled at 55 on a 75mph freeway. I was just thinking this dude is a danger to himself and others the way he moves. Not an option I would've taken on my bike. The left lane was wide open. So was it me?

Nope! He was a jerk.

I've ridden that stretch of highway many times.
It is no place to be driving/ riding at 55mph! You'll get run over! Even if you are in the slow lane.

And some can't figure out how they contributed to road rage?? Lol.

Old Man on a Connie said:
So we are rolling down the I40 coming into Kingman AZ from Cortez hauling the hospitality trailer. In the slow lane doing 70 on a marked 75 mph freeway (2 lanes). On the entrance ramp rolls an American V twin (no slam. Relax). I'm watching him to see if I need to slow to let him merge or not as he is next to us. We look out for each other right? He looks over and see's us, speeds up to merge in front of us.........................and then slows down to 55? Not suddenly but enough. I'm on the brakes hauling down about 10 tons of moving metal and wondering WTF and What's this guy doing? I didn't jam him and keep my distance and flash my light's saying c'mon dude, Speed limit please? He grabs brakes and point's at the passing lane which would've been an option except my exit was a half mile ahead and by the time I got around him pulling that trailer I'da been screwed. So we rolled at 55 on a 75mph freeway. I was just thinking this dude is a danger to himself and others the way he moves. Not an option I would've taken on my bike. The left lane was wide open. So was it me?

He was doing the best he could...seriously
lol8.gif

Old Man on a Connie said:
So we rolled at 55 on a 75mph freeway. I was just thinking this dude is a danger to himself and others the way he moves. Not an option I would've taken on my bike. The left lane was wide open. So was it me?

Not you and sure seems a bit arrogant. In some states turtles like him can be issued a ticket for going too slow.

I'm thinkin you already know it wasn't you, your just hunting some conformation.  ;D Glad to oblige. Even if you weren't hauling a trailer, still would not have been you! Never mind the initial slowing down after his merge, break checking anyone while riding a scooter speaks volumes about his intellect. Lot of phrases come to mind to describe his actions but in an effort to remain good spirited I'll leave it at "knucklehead".   

I think it was you Mark.  totally you.  I was personally disappointed to see how dirty the chrome was on your truck.  I'm sure that was the issue.  :nananana:

Wikipedia......"Harley Davidson, the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the unwanted benefit of horsepower"

I've seen people do this in cages too; drives me insane. At least drive close to the speed limit for crying out loud! It's funny that people take this opportunity to put down HDs. I work with a guy that has a nice Sportster. He wears a helmet and riding gear. A good guy and a good rider. We go the same way at the start of our trip home and a few times I've ridden with him for that stretch before he turns off. While I can smoke him on my C10 getting onto the highway, he has no trouble catching up and staying with me at 70 mph. We each appreciate our own bike and respect the other's feelings on the matter. So it's not the bike, it's the rider. I've had sport bike riders blow past me at 20 or 30 over the posted and flip me off for having the nerve to use the passing lane at only 10 over (while passing slower traffic).

PaulP said:
It's funny that people take this opportunity to put down HDs.
+1,000,000,000!!!! Thank you Paul!!

It just goes to show how petty, small-minded and insecure people are.  :(

Note: I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, it's a general statement. But if you feel that I am referring to you, I guess I made my point.

Camper Dave said:
PaulP said:

Note: I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, it's a general statement. But if you feel that I am referring to you, I guess I made my point.

I know personally it's all in jest.  I am back in the cruiser world, but with a Nomad that wants to be a HD....I have a HD batwing fairing on it and HD fender chrome thingies.  you should also keep in mind that the HD guys will regularly good-naturdely rib us rice riders for the types of bikes we choose too.

A Harley rider I worked with was telling me of a recent trip to the mountains. He said one was so steep that as he was going down his brakes failed.....so he had to use the front brake. Sigh. It is the riders, not the bike.

Sport Rider said:
Camper Dave said:
PaulP said:

I know personally it's all in jest.  I am back in the cruiser world, but with a Nomad that wants to be a HD....I have a HD batwing fairing on it and HD fender chrome thingies.  you should also keep in mind that the HD guys will regularly good-naturdely rib us rice riders for the types of bikes we choose too.

I should add though....I'm pretty sure my Nomad can outrun Mark's truck!  :)) :nananana:

Pbfoot said:
A Harley rider I worked with was telling me of a recent trip to the mountains. He said one was so steep that as he was going down his brakes failed.....so he had to use the front brake. Sigh.
:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

And you didn't ask him to hand over his DL right then and there?  Tremendous self control on your part.
Uneducated (and entitled) riders are a risk - to themselves and to others

I will try and anticipate oncoming traffic as early as possible and move to the left in order to keep my flow going. I haul a lot of stuff on trailers and cargo vans/pick ups as part of my business...I'm no maniac by any means and haven't been pulled over in years, but find myself getting frustrated the past few years with the lack of "sence of urgency" people seem to have these days.

Sense of urgency? Why would you expect the average driver to have a "sense of urgency"? I understand in the case of commercial drivers that have schedules to make, but for the rest of us, we just want to get there in one piece with our sanity intact as well. Just relax; getting there 30 seconds later is not going to make any difference, but the higher stress can kill you.

Pbfoot said:
A Harley rider I worked with was telling me of a recent trip to the mountains. He said one was so steep that as he was going down his brakes failed.....so he had to use the front brake. Sigh. It is the riders, not the bike.

:rotflmao:

I believe this sign will answer all your questions re: the problem Mark faced.

Brent

Attachments

• Sign.jpg
    Sign.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Sign (1).jpg
    Sign (1).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 96
I figured it out.
Mark, it was you!

ya sed; He looks over and see's us, speeds up to merge in front of us.........................

You pissed him off when he had to twist the throttle to speed up. (Too much effort on his part)

Ride safe, Ted