• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wearing Gear

robby1953

This subject has probably been discussed before, but a quick search didn't answer my question. I wear all the gear I can to protect myself, armored jacket, armored riding pants, gloves, helmet, and boots. I catch a lot of slack from the 'real bikers' that wear nothing other than street clothes or less.....of course they've got their protective dew-rag on their heads in case of a crash. I guess my question (short survey) is what do you wear when riding, is it different if you're staying close to home or do you gear up for any ride regardless of the distance.
I love the feell of riding, feeling the wind but I've tasted road tar before when I was much younger without any gear, and didn't really acquire any fondness for it - especially now that I'm older and don't bounce as well as I used to. Whats your preference, it appears to me that sport/touring riders have a different spin on the risks/benefits of riding gear than the others????

Helmet, gloves, jacket and boots= every ride.

NO protective pants yet, because I just haven't purchased any...that's high on my wish list though. :)

A few yrs. back a car ran over me, i got lucky and just  broke my elbow and had some good road rash. I was wearing very little gear. I now wear full gear for every ride. I learned a very valuable lesson that day.

bam2169 said:

NO protective pants yet, because I just haven't purchased any...that's high on my wish list though. :)

+1 (above) + Tourmaster mesh Pants

ron203 said:
bam2169 said:

+1 (above) + Tourmaster mesh Pants

Alright, me too tourmaster Hi Viz jacket and tourmaster mesh pants!  :great:

I have a black line across my left palm. It is asphalt from Ortega HWY 30 years ago. It's there because as I was crying like a little girl I threatened the nurse that was scrubbing it out with a fingernail brush if she didn't stop I was going to do bad things to her. I'd rather sweat and look like a dork than bleed and soak off bandages, ATGATT. Age is a life lesson.

All the gear all the time. I do find that the pants are a pain. Well it is tough when you are running errands. I don't like walking around with them on. I don't understand people that don't wear gear giving others a hard time because they do. If it would be safe to ride wrapped in bubble wrap I would do it.. I was in an accident in 1997 because someone cut out in front of me because he didn't see me.. Here are some pics of my accident.
http://randyzabarsky.com/journal/2007/9/16/10-years.html

Helmet, gloves, boots and jacket all the time. Pants most of the time.

Most of the guys I ride with wear helmets, jackets, gloves, jeans, and some form of boots.

I've been pallbearer now for 2 of them.
They died because they both broke ribs, which punctured their internal organs, and they didn't make it to the hospital in time.
Another friend went down while on a long, out of state group ride in North Carolina last year.
Lost his XS11 in a curve, only going about 25 mph. He new he was hurt, but not how bad. Got back up, rode a few more miles before having to pull over and lay down. They had to call in the life-flight chopper.
He had broken ribs, and a punctured spleen. Almost died, but made it.
Another buddy went down 2 weeks ago, going 15mph, in a turn, front wheel locked, slid out from under him. Had his daughter on back. She made it ok, he had to have 2 plates with screws put in his leg, and, yep... Broken ribs.

Most riding jackets have a weak area... No chest protection, which is our most vulnerable area.
I have gone down on asphalt... ONCE. 55mph. 2 friends crashed in front of me, and I had to choose between laying it down sideways, or run over my friends. I chose to lay it down. It was July in Oklahoma, 100 degrees with 90% humidity that day, so I wore shorts, tee shirt, tennis shoes, and a Helmet.
I spent the next 10 days naked on the couch with a sheet tented over me.
My wife got to be the one to scrub the asphalt out of my wounds. That was tons of fun.
It was a life-changing experience for me.

Now, I ride ATGATT...period...even at times when it's been 116 degrees.
Yes, it's hot, but not near as hot as road rash is.

Now I wear an EVS chest protector under my new Alpinestars jacket that has built in chest protection, Scorpion EXO700 helmet, Built Arma riding shorts under jeans, under armored riding pants, and Built ventilated touring boots, along with carbon fiber Alpinestars gloves.

While I realize there's no guarantees for survival each time I throw a leg over my Connie and ride out on public streets, I at least try to give myself as much of an edge as I can.
Bottom line, it's a personal choice we each have to make for ourselves.
Right now, I'm trying to buy some new chest/back protection- Coolmax Forcefield Airo Vest.
It's made in the UK, has distribution out of California, costs $274, and so far...unobtainable.
But it will definitely be added to my gear as soon as possible. $274 is a lot, but nothing compaired to an ER visit for broken ribs... or the misery and risk of death. Worth it to me.
Ride Safe, everybody.
Bob

The cost of my riding gear all added up is about the same as the cost of buying my bike which is about the cost of all my farkles. Kevlar jacket with chest protection. Kevlar riding pants not the pretend kind. Do it right. If your riding friends laugh they're basically revealing their ignorance.

I ride with all the gear, all the time, full face helmet, gloves, Joe  Rocket Bright Yellow jacket, pants, and boots. My buddy works for a local dealer, and had a guy buy a bike from him.  Buyer asked if he needed to wear the gear all the time. My buddy said, "Nope, just on the days you are going to crash!!!!".  With a straight face, the buyer asked him, "How will I know when that will be?".  HERE's YOUR SIGN!!!!  I personally would have cancelled the transaction, informing him he was not smart enough to own a motorcycle.  As far as safety vests/ jackets.  This one was featured by an owner in a local motorcycle magazine, who actually unfortunately tested it out, when hitting oil patch in the rain.  He swears by these, as it saved his life when he hit a guardrail, and lived to tell about it.  Armored Air Jackets/ Vest.  He had the vest model.  Just an FYI for the ones who mentioned them.  http://www.armoredairjackets.com/index.php

I don't have, nor will I probably ever have, the kind of money to go out and purchase $1000 worth of new riding gear. Yet I'm a staunch supporter of ATGATT.

I started riding 5 years ago with a $15 craigslist helmet, a (non-armored) Wilson leather jacket, blue jeans, leather work gloves and hiking boots.

Through a process I call 'Gearvolution' I have slowly been switching out my gear over the years, first getting lower-cost, quality gear by trolling my local craigslist, then saving up and trying to purchase at least 1 piece of new (not just new-to-me) gear each winter.

Now, I have:

Scorpion EXO-900 helmet, purchased new last winter ($180)

TourMaster Transition 3.0 (Hi-Viz) jacket purchased new this January ($180).
Sliders All Seasons 2 (Hi-Viz) mesh jacket purchased very lightly used from a fellow COG member this February ($25).

FirstGear waterproof, armored overpants ($40).
Joe Rocket armored mesh overpants ($50).

Joe Rocket leather armored riding gloves ($10)
AlpineStar waterproof textile riding gloves (free from a forum buddy).

Bilt Typhoon waterproof, armored riding boots ($10)

Next up for replacement are probably the riding boots and/or the heavier riding pants.

As for your 'real biker' buddies, I'll never understand that. While I may shake my head a bit at the shirtless, flip-flop-wearing squid zooming down the highway, I consider it a personal choice -- everyone should be able to ride their own ride, geared the way they want. For me, I'd rather sweat than bleed.

Admittedly through, when I'm at work and am just running out for lunch or something, I often forego the riding pants.

ATGATT for me.  I've seen road rash, and I don't think it would look good on me, so I cover everything.  I've gone Hi-Viz on the jacket, and can't see going back.  I can't quantify the difference, but I feel certain I have gone unseen more often in the past.  Too many close calls.     

Olympia jacket, always gloves, boots and helmet, My wife wears it all, including pants.  We t-boned a van at 55mph.  I had a fractured wrist and tore up my knee (pants would have saved that).  She fractured a shoulder.  We also slid a ways down the road after the accident. I am getting pants this time around!  Of course, when I was 20 (MANY years ago) I rode through Death Valley with no shirt, no gloves, just jeans and Bates boots.  Gear has gotten much more rider friendly and I ( I think) have gotten smarter.

I come dirt bike background where you can go down at anytime.  I broke a collar bone, many a roadrash incident, even with full gear, and broke a wrist.  That taught me to wear gear all the time.

I now wear a Stich one piece with the standard armor, gloves, helmet, and riding boots.  Summer, leather jacket, leather pants, gloves, helmet, riding boots.  Rarely I will ride with jeans and street shoes for very short lower speed ride to the store, but I feel naked when I do!

Helmet, jacket (Scorpion VenTech Mesh for 60F and up; BILT Typhoon Waterproof 3/4 for 70F and below), Icon Compound Mesh Overpants (mesh on a thick leather chassis), and gloves.  A lot of folks are drinking the Hi-Viz Yellow Kool-Ade but I chose to go with White instead, since at least half of my riding is done in the dead of night.

Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, protective pants.

Usually my flip-up HJC.

I just bought BILT-branded hi-viz jacket and overpants from CycleGear for low dollars.  I do like my Speed and Strength 3-season jacket and pants system too.

I probably take AGATT to the extreme. I wore my helmet when I transferred my bike from the front to the backyard, which was 100% grass, except for the driveway and patio. I'll have to get my rundown once I get home from work, but I know I bought a closeout Joe Rocket helmet for $70 or so. (HJC makes their stuff BTW).

My theory is simple...if it's too hot/cold/wet to wear the proper gear, I've got a nice 4 wheeled vehicle with a roof to take.

Matt

shorts, flipflops and no shirt for me during the summer.  it's just too hot.  Oh, but I do wear a helmet because the government tells me too.

Sport Rider said:
shorts, flipflops and no shirt for me during the summer.  it's just too hot.  Oh, but I do wear a helmet because the government tells me too.

Throwing gasoline on the fire?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

2linby said:
Sport Rider said:

who, me?  ;) ;) ;)

Hope no one took offense to my sarcasm.  I just always think of gear used as a personal choice.  people tend to bash from both sides of the fence.  This thread has already started down that path.  if someone chooses to wear a dew rag instead of a helmet, it's none of my business to judge him (or her).  Same thing is true of someone who dresses up in all their gear.  Personally, I think if someone is not wearing complete leather top and bottom with appropriate armour in place, I view them as not really as protected as they could be.  having slid accross over and through tracks and gravel, etc, there is just nothing better than leather when the rubber hits the road (pun intended).  Reality is that everyone considers their riding, trip intended, and associated risk, then makes a decision about how to mitigate that perceived risk.

of course, besides my opinion, I'd still have to give you a buck and a half for coffee.  :)

Sport Rider said:
2linby said:
Sport Rider said:

who, me?  ;) ;) ;)

Hope no one took offense to my sarcasm.  I just always think of gear used as a personal choice.  people tend to bash from both sides of the fence.  This thread has already started down that path.  if someone chooses to wear a dew rag instead of a helmet, it's none of my business to judge him (or her).  Same thing is true of someone who dresses up in all their gear.  Personally, I think if someone is not wearing complete leather top and bottom with appropriate armour in place, I view them as not really as protected as they could be.  having slid accross over and through tracks and gravel, etc, there is just nothing better than leather when the rubber hits the road (pun intended).  Reality is that everyone considers their riding, trip intended, and associated risk, then makes a decision about how to mitigate that perceived risk.

of course, besides my opinion, I'd still have to give you a buck and a half for coffee.  :)

???

2linby said:
Sport Rider said:

I was wondering where I put that gas  :D

Sport Rider said:
[

who, me?  ;) ;) ;)

+1 one of the best answers I've seen in this thread !! :beerchug:

Quote/

End Quote/

My intention in the thread harbored no ill will toward any person, group, or anyone's position on the subject of personal protective equipment. I was just starting a conversation on the subject as general interest as to how others experiences parallel (or don't) mine. I'm disappointed in your condemnation of the thread as "bashing".

I'll be more carefull in my topic selection going forward. :beerchug:

I've gone down at 40mph and it's no fun. My leather jacket and boots saved a lot of pain, but I wish I had been wearing riding pants and better gloves. Today I have an armored jacket, pants, gloves and better boots. I don't judge those guys riding with flip-flops and shorts, but I do feel sorry for them. If you ride long enough the odds are good you will eventually take a slide on the pavement.

Robby1953 said:
My intention in the thread harbored no ill will toward any person, group, or anyone's position on the subject of personal protective equipment. I was just starting a conversation on the subject as general interest as to how others experiences parallel (or don't) mine. I'm disappointed in your condemnation of the thread as "bashing".

I'll be more carefull in my topic selection going forward. :beerchug:

my appologies to you Robby.  I was not intending my comment to you.  I often see these types of things spiral into discussion of who is right or wrong and see negative comments like "dress like a pirate", and others and am saddened that people seem to so easily make fun of others. 

I think you have the right general perspective though about ST riders.  in general, (I perceive) we are a bit more mature crowd and tend to land on the side of proper gear for the ride.  But keep in mind that you can never safely generalize about anything because there will definitely be some that don't "fit the mold".

I also will readily admit that I am anti-social in my old age.  I believe that people should make their own choices and others should leave them alone.  That includes helmet use as well as leathers, textiles, jeans, vests, shorts or bathing suits.  (although I don't condone some of the options personally.)

Sport Rider:

"It all good"

I find it (fill in the blank, interesting, disappointing, irritating, saddening, ect.) that in our society we must align with the same ideals as others to fit in. I guess my commentary would be, that we all share a similar interest, that being riding on two wheels, but even with that common bond seem destined to find that select group that feels the same, does the same to be accepted.
The group known by many to be "bikers" accepts enough ridicule from those that don't that I would think we could join in that common interest and support all our peers regardless of personal preferences.

Here's hoping that we all find common ground in that association.... :beerchug:

Quote/

I also will readily admit that I am anti-social in my old age.

End Quote/

I dont find that, rather you seem more like 'Mr. Justice' in your even minded appreciation of other's preferences.. but that's just my oppinion. I guess that's why you moderate.

I wear a helmet, riding jacket, riding pants, gloves, boots and a chip on my shoulder.  :motonoises:

Go Go Power Rangers!!  :truce:

Robby1953 said:
Quote/

I also will readily admit that I am anti-social in my old age.

End Quote/

I dont find that, rather you seem more like 'Mr. Justice' in your even minded appreciation of other's preferences.. but that's just my oppinion. I guess that's why you moderate.

ur right...not anti-social.  I'm anti-establishment.  :great:

Mcfly said:
I wear a helmet, riding jacket, riding pants, gloves, boots and a chip on my shoulder.  :motonoises:

Go Go Power Rangers!!  :truce:

What type of chip is it?  ;)  Does it come in Kawasaki Green?  :motonoises:

COW Chip!  not quite hardened, yet not steamin' and stinky!

Ya gotta pick 'em just right.

I wish it was safe to ride with no helmet and less gear . It would be nice to just hop on the bike and go , especially in the heat . The fact is though , it is not safe , even more so for us sport touring folks . We often ride hard in the twisties and take more risk than people who ride cruisers and such . Road rash hurts , a get off in a corner can be nothing more than a wrecked bike sometimes if you're wearing the right gear .

The one area I have yet to pick up is armored pants.....  have been looking at several variety's of armored Kevlar jeans..... they looks pretty much like normal jeans, but are reinforced with Kevlar, and have ce plating on hips and knees for most of them.

Has anyone tried a pair? 

Also wondered about the armored shorts, seems like a pretty good choice as well.

Has anyone wore a chest and rib protector under a leather jacket?  I just purchased a Vanson, and was curious if I would have enough room.....

I'm using Tourmaster mesh armored pants, so far they've been great. Haven't got to try them in a lot of heat yet 85 degrees today and I wore them almost 6 hours on a 400 mile round trip to see the Dad, I was completely comfortable. They've got armor in the knees and pliant soft armor in the hips but the best feature is the removable panels that hide or expose the mesh areas all along the legs, lets a lot of air pass through. :great: 

Before anyone suggests it, I have no association with Tourmaster in any way and do not profit in any fashion from their enterprise: simply like the gear.

That's what I have, too. Interestingly enough, they're more comfortable under long pants than shorts on the C-10. I rode 3 hours today in about 85 degrees in short and these pants and they were noticeably warm on my legs. Had these going on four seasons now. Pretty good pants, but still warm.

Lucent1123 said:
The one area I have yet to pick up is armored pants.....  have been looking at several variety's of armored Kevlar jeans..... they looks pretty much like normal jeans, but are reinforced with Kevlar, and have ce plating on hips and knees for most of them.

Has anyone tried a pair? 

Also wondered about the armored shorts, seems like a pretty good choice as well.

I have two pairs, the first I bought online,http://xelementgear.com/p/Shop-Leather-Chaps--pants/Xelement-Mens-Classic-Fit-Denim-Motorcycle-Racing-Pants/54742.html, but they look kind of funky when just walking around. No Kevlar, just knee and hip pads. They have a gusset in the crotch area that is black stretch type material. They are pretty comfortable, I just don't like the fit or style much.

The second pair are from Cycle Gear - http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Street/Pants/Textile/brand/BILT-IRON-WORKERS/Steel-Motorcycle-Jeans/p/41393_200503_73?utm_source=GoogleProductFeed&utm_medium=GoogleProductFeed&utm_campaign=GPF-June2013&gclid=CIGAi8j7lL4CFcvm7AodZEAAPQ - I like the style of these better, and they have Kevlar reinforcement along the seams and in the butt. They do not have hip pads though.

Both pairs of pants were in the same price range - $75ish, and seem to be fairly good quality. They are also both comfortable in the heat, certainly not much warmer than riding in regular jeans.

I recently had an unscheduled dismount at about 15 mph. Front tire caught some oil on an already rain-misted wet 4 lane road at a traffic light. The Ducati behind me almost went down as well but he caught it before he went over.

My jacket tore through to the armor and I got a little scrape from the liner running across my skin. I also got a nasty bruise and an extremely sore shoulder for about 2-3 weeks. I went for x-rays and everything was clear so I got lucky. But man was I in some pain from just landing on my shoulder and elbow.

Jacket and pants are armored, boots have extra ankle protection, heavy gloves and, of course, a helmet. All this gear, all the time no matter the weather. I can not imagine hitting pavement at 15 mph and not having that protection, let alone hitting the pavement at highway speeds.

I saw a very young girl on a Ninja yesterday- tiny shorts, tee shirt, sneakers and helmet. I feel sorry for her parents, because when the day comes that she goes down and she's not in gear, it will probably not turn out well for her.

It took me 15 years to have my first unscheduled dismount. I knew it would come someday and I prepared for it the best I could.

Glad you're OK Kathy.  Doesn't take much to tear up the body.  My wife and I had an accident in Sept, and she still has bruises from it, all the gear on. I gear up now, but as recent as 10 years ago, I was a t-shirt rider....never thought it would happen to me. If the young un's don't have someone to show them, they learn the hard way. (I have lived my life that way!)  Hope you are out and riding again soon!

Rain Dancer said:
Glad you're OK Kathy.  Doesn't take much to tear up the body.  My wife and I had an accident in Sept, and she still has bruises from it, all the gear on. I gear up now, but as recent as 10 years ago, I was a t-shirt rider....never thought it would happen to me. If the young un's don't have someone to show them, they learn the hard way. (I have lived my life that way!)  Hope you are out and riding again soon!

I did get back on the bike right away- cosmetic damage to the bike. I waited two weeks before a longer trip (300 mile day trip).

I can't believe how much it hurts to fall now! I remember flinging myself out of trees, off bicycles, off swings at the apex, etc. when  I was a kid. No more of that- that's for sure!

I've experienced road rash once on a bicycle. I was stationed in Rota, Spain and was riding my BMX through town. I was peddling as fast as I could and the chain popped off. Threw me forward and landed on my right arm and slid to a stop. Of course I was only wearing a tshirt. Rode back home and drove to the emergency room. When the nurse was scrubbing it out, it was the most excruciating pain I'd ever experienced.

That was on a bicycle. I don't even want to think about what motorcycle road rash feels like.

I wear a Hi-Viz jacket with armor, Roe Rocket gloves that need to be upgraded, GMAX helmet, Slider pants, and heavy boots that aren't motorcycle oriented, but are better than gym shoes. New gloves and boots coming soon.

PaleRider said:

No doubt. I have been looking at that stuff for a few years now.

Currently ATGATT with several jackets...2 Kawasaki Gear I got in Europe and another 3 season Alpinestars. Olympia pants and Boots. HJC modular and a variety of gloves.

I the recent wrenching session in Maineville OH I saw Laker ride up in his MOtoport. NOw I gotta have a set. That is what I am looking for. 20K miles a year on state/national highways and an occassional trip on the slab I got to say now that I have seen it live I am enoumoured of the MOtoport stuff

I always wear boots, jacket, gloves and helmet.  I used to forgo the gloves, jacket and boots every now and then, but then my best friend had a "had to lay her down" moment on his KLR to avoid a minivan that pulled out in front of him. 

Being the friend I am, I helped him clean his wounds. Using a new tooth brush, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol I scrubbed the road out of his skin.  I will never forget the screams I heard coming from a grown man's mouth as I was doing so. 

Ever since then, I have always worn the gear I have.  The only thing I have left to procure, is some sort of protective pants

Hi all. Appreciate that most peeps on this Forum are of the "more gear than less" attitude - although I try not to judge as I've morphed from a jeans n' t-shirt shorty helmet wearing rider to wearing ATTGATT in the past few years.  Here's what woke me up - I low sided my '09 Nomad in 2012 doing about 50 mph while riding with some friends down in Oregon.  Hotter than you know what when we got up that morning, I didn't even so much as put my GLOVES on  :-[ , just my boots - and my full face modular helmet (which I switched into a few years ago from a shorty after watching a cow moose just about take out my husband in northern Washington - we BOTH switched to FF shortly after). 

Anywhoo....two lane (luckily fairly quiet) road, was riding lead and spinning through the twisties on this very steamy day and well, I pushed the envelope a little too far.  Pavement was clean (no gravel), but it was dark in color - almost new - in retrospect, I figure it might have been "sweating" oil a little bit.  Entered a right hand curve too fast, made a late rear braking error while leaning and whooop - away that back tire went in an instant.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

The fall to the pavement was very smooth, actually - I recall it in slow motion when I think about it. Everything went kinda black, and my body was almost to a stop when suddenly I was hit violently by something - I didn't know what - and was flipped around and then came to rest face down in the middle of the opposing lane.  My friends roared up behind me and were able to stop traffic in both directions (as I was likely less than a minute away from potentially colliding with an oncoming vehicle).  It was not my time, that day.  :)

Road rash all along the right arm, and onto the middle of my back (I must have rolled onto my back as I went down) - I didn't have a scratch on my hip.  Then, I discovered an ugly puncture wound on my shin when I lifted up the leg of my jeans - less than an inch from shattering my lower leg - after some figuring, I think it was the end of the gear shift lever that impacted me when I realized that the bike had ricocheted off the guard rail and hit me minutes before.  Fun stuff.  Painful.  :'(  And - 800kms from home. 

Thanks to those who stopped to help - strangers who took me in their pickup to the hospital, my girlfriends who found a wrecker to come pick up the bike, then stayed with me all night until my husband could arrive to pick both broken me and broken bike up and make the long journey home.  I feel very fortunate I was able to learn a lesson in all this. 

Always been one to learn things the hard way.  I now own a Connie and have gained most of my confidence back through lots of miles and a very encouraging and understanding husband. 

Cheers,
Robyn

Attachments

• Arm .jpg
    Arm .jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Puncture.jpg
    Puncture.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Road rash.jpg
    Road rash.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Shoulder.jpg
    Shoulder.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 98
Just some pics of the bike and helmet.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Helmet 2.jpg
    Helmet 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Helmet 3.jpg
    Helmet 3.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Saddlebag.jpg
    Saddlebag.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 112
Glad that wasn't worse! I promised myself and my wife we would never ride without gear.  If we don't want to get geared up for whatever reason, we just don't ride.  No exceptions.

wipfel said:
Glad that wasn't worse! I promised myself and my wife we would never ride without gear.  If we don't want to get geared up for whatever reason, we just don't ride.  No exceptions.

Thank you, wipfel - you and me both. 

I have made the same promise to myself.

Cheers and happy riding.  :beerchug:

Good post, I have all my gear and feel naked without it all on but need to get my reluctant wife suited up, the old "it's too hot, too heavy".  Been watching the emporium for something for her but she is such an odd size, sorry, wife but you won't see this, 5' 2 but thanks to her basketball gut (yeah, don't want her to read that :-X)needs a large size jacket, oh well, keep watching.

VisionDon Nebr said:
Good post, I have all my gear and feel naked without it all on but need to get my reluctant wife suited up, the old "it's too hot, too heavy". 

Thanks, VisionDon.  Show her these pictures - maybe it will change her mind about getting geared up !!  Visual effect is always helpful.  I hate the heat as well and have just gotten an armoured mesh jacket that I wear all the time and love it.  Full face modular helmet with lots of vents - well, you know the drill.   

On another note, regarding your wife's size, she needs a "petite" plus size likely (larger around, but shorter in body and arm length) - Joe Rocket makes all kinds of great jackets in a good range of sizes, fyi - I am the other end of the spectrue - "tall" plus size - and have had success with their gear - both top and bottom.  Check Revzilla. 

Good luck!    ;)

Oh yeah...I figured I needed a permanent reminder to not be stupid..... :great:

Attachments

• Tatt.jpg
    Tatt.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 137
I have two pairs, the first I bought online,http://xelementgear.com/p/Shop-Leather-Chaps--pants/Xelement-Mens-Classic-Fit-Denim-Motorcycle-Racing-Pants/54742.html, but they look kind of funky when just walking around. No Kevlar, just knee and hip pads. They have a gusset in the crotch area that is black stretch type material. They are pretty comfortable, I just don't like the fit or style much.

The second pair are from Cycle Gear - http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Street/Pants/Textile/brand/BILT-IRON-WORKERS/Steel-Motorcycle-Jeans/p/41393_200503_73?utm_source=GoogleProductFeed&utm_medium=GoogleProductFeed&utm_campaign=GPF-June2013&gclid=CIGAi8j7lL4CFcvm7AodZEAAPQ - I like the style of these better, and they have Kevlar reinforcement along the seams and in the butt. They do not have hip pads though.

Both pairs of pants were in the same price range - $75ish, and seem to be fairly good quality. They are also both comfortable in the heat, certainly not much warmer than riding in regular jeans.
[/quote]

Thanks, that 2nd pair looks fairly promising......

Don't forget good boots!
Ambulance EMT guys told me one time as first responders they usually see MC accidents  shoes ripped flung off all the time to say nothing of road rash!!!

I dress for the crash not the ride..I have had the same "gear and helmet" issues with all kinds of riders..i told a Harley guy once to just run across the parking lot as fast as he could and then throw himself down to see how that would feel...Still doesn't get it.. :)

Once the government passes a law that we all have to wear jousting armor, then we'll all be safe.

Till then, I'm going to continue to wear my dress pants and short sleeve shirt on my commute to work.  I SURE am glad I didn't wreck this morning.  I can't believe I can even be trusted to competently ride a motorcycle since I can't be trusted to put all that blaze orange and lights, and reflective tape and all that stuff all over myself.  Oh....but I run without mufflers, so my loud pipes will help safety.

</sarcasm>

Amazing how people seem to need to dictate their own risk assessment on everyone else.  :-[

diablo6v said:
I dress for the crash not the ride..I have had the same "gear and helmet" issues with all kinds of riders..i told a Harley guy once to just run across the parking lot as fast as he could and then throw himself down to see how that would feel...Still doesn't get it.. :)

thats cuz it's not a fair analogy, the rider can run faster than the bike will go
lol8.gif

Sport Rider said:
Once the government passes a law that we all have to wear jousting armor, then we'll all be safe.

Till then, I'm going to continue to wear my dress pants and short sleeve shirt on my commute to work.  I SURE am glad I didn't wreck this morning.  I can't believe I can even be trusted to competently ride a motorcycle since I can't be trusted to put all that blaze orange and lights, and reflective tape and all that stuff all over myself.  Oh....but I run without mufflers, so my loud pipes will help safety.

</sarcasm>

Amazing how people seem to need to dictate their own risk assessment on everyone else.  :-[

I must say, that's an excellent job of camouflage, I really can't tell what camp you pitch your tent in!  :smiley_confused1:

Robby1953 said:
Sport Rider said:

</sarcasm>

I must say, that's an excellent job of camouflage, I really can't tell what camp you pitch your tent in!  :smiley_confused1:

That's kinda the point.  it ain't about camps.  it's about people making their own choices about how they dress for a ride

I know exactly what works for me and my circumstances better than anyone else in the world.  No one has to tell me what I need to do to be safe.  I'm smart enough to research, learn and make my choices.  So is everyone else.  I bet that guy dressed like a "pirate" is just as competent to make his own choices as I am.  If they aren't, it's not my place to dictate what they do.  I frown anyone who tries to impose their ideas of what is "right" on others.  Of course, I suppose logically you could twist this around to saying that I'm dictating leaving others alone when someone feels it's their purpose in life to control others.  Hmmmmm......  :truce:

stevewfl said:
diablo6v said:

thats cuz it's not a fair analogy, the rider can run faster than the bike will go
lol8.gif

:D :D :D

Sport Rider,

Spot on! While I don't agree with your decision, I absolutely respect it. I have no problems with people making informed decisions and then taking responsibility and living with the consequences, good or bad.

It's your life, enjoy it how you wish. Just don't expect me to back your play.

that's ok Paul.  Chances are I'd be wearing lots of gear regardless.  I just like playing devils advocate when people start telling others what they should look like.  :beerchug:

I suspect people's opinions are based a lot on the type of riding they do and perhaps making assumptions based on that.  if I were a weekend rider, and generally heading for curvy backroads to have fun, my gear would be different than if I'm doing a long highway trip.  Likewise, if I'm commuting to work, or running an errand down to the store, my gear may look different.  The reason for my gear decisions is based on what roads I'm going to be on, how far it is, etc.  I also adjust my ride based on how I'm dressed too.  I don't get sucked into riding someone else's ride if I'm not geared for it.  A guy who is "dressed like a pirate" is probably perfectly aware of what his ride involves and if he is safe or not.  who am I to second guess his decisions.

I guess the bottom line is, if you want to know what gear I wear, give me the parameters of the ride and you'd get a different answer for different situations.  :great:

Helmet, gloves, armored jacket (vented for summer, non-vented for cooler days or when foul weather is expected as its waterproof), boots, long pants every ride.

I also have a pair of vented, armored pants that I wear most, but not all of the time.

What I need to get is a pair of over-pants.

I don't care what "real" bikers say...

I get the "it's my choice" part and "nobody is going to tell me how to dress for a ride". The part I don't get is why you would even choose to not wear gear. It is a guaranteed fact that if you are forcibly removed from your bike, at speed, you are gonna get F'd up. Stone cold fact! So me being a rational, semi intelligent person know this and therefor will take the necessary precautions when I ride. This is a high risk activity from the go. So why not reduce your risk as much as possible?

It is as plain as the nose on your face. It's this thinking that I will never understand. I guess for some people, choice is more important than common sense.  ???

Hazy said:
I get the "it's my choice" part and "nobody is going to tell me how to dress for a ride". The part I don't get is why you would even choose to not wear gear. It is a guaranteed fact that if you are forcibly removed from your bike, at speed, you are gonna get F'd up. Stone cold fact! So me being a rational, semi intelligent person know this and therefor will take the necessary precautions when I ride. This is a high risk activity from the go. So why not reduce your risk as much as possible?

It is as plain as the nose on your face. It's this thinking that I will never understand. I guess for some people, choice is more important than common sense.  ???

I have no clue but if you can find the guy on the hog riding with shorts and a tee at 85 in a 65 on the interstate in very heavy traffic he might know what kind of idiot he was.

It's a guarenteed fact that IF I get removed from my bike I can get f'ed up.  but it's NOT a guarentee that I WILL be removed from my bike.  In my experience I'm perfectly capable of controlling factors that lead to accidents.  I know that sounds bold (shock value  :great:  ), but bear with me. 

I know my tires are good.  I know my bike is maintained.  My equipment is solid.  I know the roads I'm riding on.  I ride them every single day.  I watch for objects, debris and such (things that might screw up my tire....having a flat is one of those factors that is hard to control but in my 28 years of riding experience, also not prone to happen...a risk choice I make).  Twice a day I see how road conditions change.  my commute ride is very cautious and deliberate on non congested roads.  when approaching risk points, such as intersections, hidden driveways, etc, I'm watching particularly closely and proceeding even more cautiously based on my gear decisions for the day (however I tend to ride cautiously like that regardless).  I see them every day and I know exactly where they are.

Do you get the point?  am I taking risks?  heck, I take a risk just by getting out of bed.  but they are calculated risks based on my knowledge of my surroundings and my ride.  I'm perfectly comfortable and feel very safe and secure.

this is just for my commuting choice, by the way.  In other riding situations, I gauge my gear choices accordingly, including when I am riding in an unknown area and have to account for factors that I can't anticipate.

Now, if someone wants to wear the full armor suit I mentioned above, then hey...go right ahead.  it's your ride and your risk factor calculation.  I'm not going to tell you that you should or shouldn't.  If I was discussing a ride with someone else, I'm not going to tell them not to wear gear.  I'd tell them to anticipate and make their own choice.  I'd likely suggest they error on the side of caution too.  I might tell them what I plan to wear but that they may not be comfortable dressed similarly. 

I ride with crotch rockets from time to time in which some of them wear jeans, even those with kevlar.  I happen to think in those situations anything less than GOOD full leather suits is nuts.  Oh, and a back/chest protector too.  Anyone who has had a chance to do a serious slide across abrasive surfaces should know that textiles don't stand near as much chance as GOOD leather.  I've experienced it first hand on many occasions.  But it's their choice.

I just don't understand why people have an issue with someone making a choice.  You don't have to agree with it.  Just accept that it's theirs and it's ok.

smithr1 said:
I have no clue but if you can find the guy on the hog riding with shorts and a tee at 85 in a 65 on the interstate in very heavy traffic he might know what kind of idiot he was.

you might think so, but does he?  have you every asked him?

My position on this is that you are free to ride wearing, or not wearing, whatever you like.  I'm free to think you don't have two brains cells to rub together, depending on what you wear.  I'm also free to express that opinion.

but calling them names or degrading them and their choices isn't a good solution either.  Does it make you feel good that they call people like us who wear gear names as well?  All it does is create divisiveness when we should be striding to understand, accept and include.

But anyone that wants to discuss it at the national is welcome.  I'll buy you a beer and we can exchange ideas!  :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Dave (Sport Rider)... I need to find someone local that's going to the National, give him some $$$ and make sure you have some extra beer buying ability  :beerchug: How you remain calm when all this mud is being thrown all around you is beyond me (or my abilities).

Just because you're free to do something doesn't mean I have to agree with it, or accept it.  I really could care less if someone wants to drag knee without a helmet, in a tank top, shorts, and flip flops. I still think doing so is idiotic at best.

If that is divisive, that's ok with me, I feel no need to be in that group in any case.

Sport Rider said:
I just don't understand why people have an issue with someone making a choice.  You don't have to agree with it.  Just accept that it's theirs and it's ok.

:iagree:    :beerchug:      :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

I ride with people that are far from ATGATT.  We've discussed it a few times,
and I'm convinced they're all intelligent adults capable of making their own decisions.

Camper Dave said:
Dave (Sport Rider)... I need to find someone local that's going to the National, give him some $$$ and make sure you have some extra beer buying ability  :beerchug: How you remain calm when all this mud is being thrown all around you is beyond me (or my abilities).

it's not mud.  it's just conversation.  the only way we all learn and grow is to discuss it.  I have no ill feelings toward those who make any choice they want.  just want folks to be considerate of others ideas being differnt from their own.  even though we all have two wheels in common, I know we all think differently.  I think perhaps its the old adage of "do unto others" that I'd like people to consider.  Heck, I'm as bad about steriotyping some groups as much as anyone.  :truce:

Like I said, I no longer have the ability to even try to have a "conversation" with people who call me various names, wish me dead and question whether I am deserving of children based on how I dress; that is not conversation. You are a better man than I.  ;)

I agree that people absolutely have the right to their own opinions. They also have the right to voice them. But, they also have to be ready to accept the consequences of that speech (as with all their other actions). People may not wish to associate with you depending on what you say, or in the more extreme cases may wish to introduce their fist to your mouth. I don't condone such violence, but I do acknowledge that such behavior is possible and take it into account before I open my mouth. Life is full of choices, and ultimately we are defined by how we make them, so my advice is to think before you act. Of course, you are free to ignore that advice. The choice is yours.  ;)

Sport Rider said:
Camper Dave said:

it's not mud.  it's just conversation.  the only way we all learn and grow is to discuss it.  I have no ill feelings toward those who make any choice they want.  just want folks to be considerate of others ideas being differnt from their own.  even though we all have two wheels in common, I know we all think differently.  I think perhaps its the old adage of "do unto others" that I'd like people to consider.  Heck, I'm as bad about steriotyping some groups as much as anyone.  :truce:

So true, very well put!  And I wasn't ATGATT my whole life. When I was young, I rode in a t-shirt, no gloves. I was lucky...never had an issue. How can I say things about others if I once did it? If I was going to the National Sport Rider, I'ld buy ya' that beer! (AFTER the day of riding was over, of course!)  ;D

I'm a returning rider (30 year gap), and freshly back into riding. Back in my 20s, I rode a CB350 all over creation. Back then, fully suited up (for me) meant a denim jacket, jeans, open faced helmet (with a flexible face shield), hiking boots and no gloves, unless it was cold. But if it was hot, I'd be out there in a t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes. Don't think I ever rode in sandals or flip-flops tho.

I've never taken a fall at any kind of speed. Perhaps a half dozen minor spills, none at more than 10-15 mph. Put some holes in a couple pair of jeans and a denim jacket, and ended up with some minor road rash. But nothing lasting or very significant.

Actually, my worst road rash ever came in a skateboarding fall. I went out with my brother, gave him my knee & elbow pads, and gloves because I didn't want him to get hurt. I gained too much speed on a hill, bounced over a manhole cover, got the wobbles and fell forward. My chest was scraped in big honkin' patches, plus all along my forearms, hands and knees. Totally obliterated my t-shirt and ripped open my jeans. I couldn't have been doing more than 20 mph.

When I picked up my Connie last fall, I made the promise to myself that I'd be wearing all the gear, all the time. I picked up an EXO 400 helmet, a set of Kevlar/Goretex jacket/pants (armored) and a pair of Tourmaster gloves. I'd have gotten real riding boots by now, but I'm tough to fit (with AA width feet). So I'm wearing a pair of steel-toed hiking boots until I find something proper that fits. I bought a second, summer weight mesh jacket (armored), and my mesh overpants should arrive tomorrow.

At age 59 (almost), I know I don't have the benefit of a 25 year old's reaction times anymore. And I'm out there with a very appropriate respect for the risks. I was bat-shit crazy-stupid back in the day, and consider myself lucky that I survived the experience.

I look at the guys/gals riding around in shorts, t-shirts, no helmet and such, and simply don't understand why they would take the risks they do. But I know it's their skin, and their choice....even if I don't understand it.

I've attended 3 funerals in the past 2 years of riders I knew, and none of them were wearing helmets. Also lost several other friends over the years who WERE wearing full gear.

All I know, is that I want to give myself the best possible chance to survive a fall, should it ever happen to me.

ATTGAT is non-negotiable for me. If it's too hot to wear the gear, I'll take my cage.

LessPaul said:
ATTGAT is non-negotiable for me. If it's too hot to wear the gear, I'll take my cage.

AMEN to that!  I'm another returning rider.  Back in the '70s, I'd wear long pants, closed shoes and a helmet.  I figured a t-shirt was fine, and I only wore gloves (ski-type) in the winter.  At 53, I'm fully ensconced in kevlar (including the gloves) every time I get on the bike, along with full-face helmet and riding boots.  At 19, I wore what made me comfortable; now I wear the best gear I can find, because I've grown more attached to my skin and less limited by finances.
I don't lecture other riders who make different gear choices, because I remember how I responded to it when I felt differently.  I survived it (with never a spill.)  They'll probably survive too.  Seeing someone riding in shorts, t-shirt or unhelmeted, doesn't make me feel angry or superior - just kind of scared and I hope I never have to see them sliding or rolling.

speaking of which, yesterday I was on the highway riding home.  saw a young guy on a GSXR600 who was actually wearing flip-flops and shorts.  he did have on a long sleeve shirt though, so that makes it ok, right?  :great:

if it'd been one of my sons, I've have pulled him over and explained the significance of at least jeans and full-cover shoes.  :-[

Old Steve said:
LessPaul said:

AMEN to that!  I'm another returning rider.  Back in the '70s, I'd wear long pants, closed shoes and a helmet.  I figured a t-shirt was fine, and I only wore gloves (ski-type) in the winter.  At 53, I'm fully ensconced in kevlar (including the gloves) every time I get on the bike, along with full-face helmet and riding boots.  At 19, I wore what made me comfortable; now I wear the best gear I can find, because I've grown more attached to my skin and less limited by finances.
I don't lecture other riders who make different gear choices, because I remember how I responded to it when I felt differently.  I survived it (with never a spill.)  They'll probably survive too.  Seeing someone riding in shorts, t-shirt or unhelmeted, doesn't make me feel angry or superior - just kind of scared and I hope I never have to see them sliding or rolling.

+1 to both of you. I'm a returning rider after 30 + years, when I was in my twenties I was T-boned by a car in the front axle, he was doing around 45 mph when he hit me. 'bout tore the bike in half, smashed my leg between the bike and the car door as they came together and sent me straight up in the air as they both slid out from underneath me and then straight back down again face first into the road (no helmet). Luckily I guess there wasn't much sliding (by me) invovled but it sure as heck gave me a lot of respect for the unexpected things you just don't predict.

ATTGAT here as well. Especially after witnessing two of my weekly riding buddies small mishap a couple months ago. One on a 09 Connie (rider #2) ran into the rear of the other (rider#1) on an 09 FZ1 at slow speed.  Rider #2 did not notice quick enough #1 was slowing down to make a right turn and rear ended him at about 15 - 20mph. I saw the whole thing as I was riding behind #2. We were riding at 70 - 75mph so #2 did slow down quite a bit, clearly not enough.

Rider #1 only bruised his arse from hitting the ground when his bike was pushed out from under him, but his FZ1 was totaled and Joe Rocket jacket was torn on the arm. Rider #2 broke 4 ribs when he was launched from his bike. He was able to repair the paint scuffs and replaced a side case on the Connie. We all wear decent quality armored mesh jackets (Joe Rocket, Alpinestar), Draggin Jeans, riding boots, gloves and decent full face helmets (Shoei, HJC).  #2's Alpinestar jacket was ripped as well and his HJC helmet had a road rash scrape across the entire front of the helmet from contacting the asphalt. Rider #2 spent the night in the hospital for neck and lung puncture observation.

Both #1 and #2 have over 250,000 miles of riding under their belt and have ridden together for over 20 years without incident. I was truly surprised at the amount of damage to the bikes and to #2  caused from such a low speed contact.

As a result, I began researching to find the most abrasion and impact protective gear I could find that would allow me to ride as comfortably as possible in the SW Florida summer heat. I have a good quality racing leather jacket as well, but way to hot for our summer heat. After hours of looking around, I ordered custom fit Kevlar mesh Jacket and pants from Motoport. Will take 10 weeks to get and they are pricy, but seems they last quite a bit longer than the typical Joe Rocket (1000 - 1250 Denier nylon) type gear. After reading dozens of reviews, seems two to three times longer. So in the long run (10 - 12 years), costs should even out or be lower. And the Motoport stuff is custom fit to me only and can be altered if necessary in the future. Motorport also claims their Kevlar is at least 5 times more abrasion resistant than racing leather and has much more armor (tri-armor) than typical street riding gear. They claim their gear is the only textile permitted at tracks. It does include armor over the chest. #2 might not have broken his ribs with a Motoport Jacket.

Sorry for this sounding like an ad and hope this doesn't come across as hijacking the thread, especially as I haven't used the gear yet. But on paper, it sounds like good gear for summer heat and appears to be an OK value in the long run. I'm sure I'll do a report (+'s and -'s) after wearing it for a while. Not scheduled to receive until end of July.

One of my realtors and I were discussing bluetooth in the helmet because she rides too, and when i suggested she try a certain brand she replied "i don't wear a lid".......

what was odd is i knew she rode but never suspected she's the "HD" type  :-[ ;D :-X :beerchug: