• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Weather Resistant Cover Recommendations

I always cover my bike while parked at work.  Last week when putting the cover on, it literally tore in half.  UV finally deteriorated it to the point of destruction.  After adding my rear Givi Monokey trunk, the cover really didn't fit very well anyway, so I'd like to get one that fits with less stretching to get over the side cases and the Givi trunk. 

Anyone have a similar configuration and a cover you like?  I've checked Bikebandit.com, Amazon, Motorcycle Superstore, etc., and other than an uneducated guess, can't really tell which cover would fit best.

I have two of these Western Power Sports covers, they fit the Connie and the Wee-Strom with all the luggage on (Givi trunk as well as side bags) very well.  I can't remember if they are LARGE or EXTRA LARGE, though.  Perhaps not the best, but for less than $50 they are OK, have lasted ten years now.  Not water proof, but they keep the direct rain off, and also the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHD16bRy-YY

When I bought Shoodaben last year, I was living in a townhouse and didn't have a garage. I went with the "Dowco 50003-02 Guardian WeatherAll Plus Motorcycle Cover, Black - Large" from Amazon ($85). The fit was slightly tight and that was what I wanted. If you want something looser, the XL would be the ticket. I was pleased with how it behaved, especially through a couple of bad west central Florida June thunderstorms where the rain didn't get through. Only used it through July when I bought a house so the bike would have a garage :) so I can't speak to longevity.

Thanks Guys!  I was looking at the Downco covers on Amazon, but other than sizes, it was difficult to tell how it would fit our particular machines with the sides and trunk.  I'm thinking of going a little larger than what Amazon recommends, mainly because a couple of the user comments mentioned that their recommended size was tight.

Kelly, do you have a "Cycle Gear" in your area?
They have a cover in XL that works well and inexpensive.
(And you could try the fit in the parking lot).

Ride safe, Ted

Covering at work everyday? Then spend the money on the Dowco with the good warranty that will replace it when it fails from UV degradation.

My prior cover was one of the Bilt brand ones from Cycle Gear.  It actually held up for three years before the UV killed it, and cost me like $45.  Because this cover is only used for when the bike sits at work, here is what I ordered from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU1TJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with the lighter fabric one, mainly because I didn't want to take up too much room in my side bag.  Amazon claims the XL is too large for my bike, but there were several comments where the recommended cover (Large) was too small.  Like my now diseased Bilt cover, if I can get three years of use out of a $43 cover before Mother Nature does it in, I'll consider it a win. 

Bought one at Walmart, per someone here's suggestion. Under $30 for and XL. had it for two years with my bike parked outside every day I work. faded but in great shape, and cheap enough I will replace it when it disintegrates.

I bought the Bilt brand from Cycle Gear and it's last 3 years before it started to rip/fall apart....I live near the beach in NC and we get a lot of rain and I have to deal with salt water

Justa thought.
As the covers get older and loose water resistance;
    Buy some tent rain proofing at a Walmart/Sporting Good Store/etc and occasionally spray the cover.
    Covers will then be waterproof again.

Ride safe, Ted