• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Went to the NYC M/C show on Friday...

Gerry B

Mini Bike
And from now on that's going to be the only day I'd go.  It was great!  My friend and I took a Metro North train out of New Haven around 1:00PM. Taxi'd over to the show, did all we wanted in a very relaxed way. We had one person in front of us for tickets.  How many can say that on Saturday?  Checked out that new Honda NC700.  Nice bike, but bland. No character... I checked out a bunch of other vendors, especially the heated glove liners. $80 and you can wear your normal riding gloves!  I know that not everyone can go on a Friday, but if you can it's a whole different ball game. 

Shhhhhhh.... it's the best kept secret.  Around the time you got to the show I was already walking back to GSS to catch the 4:34 train.

I did not see many COGgers.  While I was talking with someone I saw I saw Ben and Abbe hovering around the Kawasaki booth. Finished up my conversation, turned around and they were gone.

The only really bad part about Friday, is that they open later (normally 12noon). You wind up with thousands of folks at the gate waiting to get in. Then you fight the crowds that walk in and stop at the first displays. But if you can go about 12:30 or later, it's not too bad. Or when they all stop at the first display. I normally go to the far end of the building and work my way back. That way it takes a while for the mob to catch up. Then I go back to the start and go the other way. It works pretty good.

Rant on:

The bad part is having to take a day off from work to go on Friday. I'd rather use days off for things like riding. And what really burns my azz is why the promoters of the motorcycle show feel it necessary to have the show in Manhattan in January. This is absolutely stupid and is beyond me why they have it when folks are the furthest away from enjoying their bikes. I prefer to buy things for my bike when I can try them out. Not when it will be snowed in for three months. Half the time I won't go to the show because of it.
    First off getting into Manhattan isn't the easiest or cheapest for anyone going to the show. You can drive, but parking and tolls cost almost as much as buying a new bike (OK maybe a little bit less). So a lot of folks take the trains in. ( (2 hours on a train for me) But traveling by trains is also not cheap for most folks. Then once at the train station or terminal, you will be walking a good distance in the cold wind and snow to access the Javits center. (and lugging anything you buy back later)  It takes a lot of the fun out of it. (although you have the option of dealing with and the extra expense figuring out buses, or trying to get a taxi)
    But hey, look at the bight side. At least the shows promoters keep the earlier and later shows in the south. That way the folks that in the warmer winter climates shouldn't have to deal with all the snow and cold they normally get in winter, when they're going to the show.

•November 18-20, 2011, San Mateo County Event Center in San Mateo, CA
•December 2-4, 2011, Dallas Convention Center in Dallas, TX
•December 9-11, 2011, Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, CA
•February 24-26, 2012, Charlotte Convention Center in Charlotte, NC
•March 14-17, 2012, Ocean Center in Daytona Beach, FL

But they have the northern states more in the full on winter. Yes lets have the northern shows in the cold and snow months:

•December 16-18, 2011, Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, WA
•January 6-8, 2012, Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, MI
•January 13-15, 2012, Washington Convention Center in Washington D.C.
•January 20-22, 2012, Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York, NY
•January 27-29, 2012, I-X Center in Cleveland, OH
•February 3-5, 2012, Minneapolis Convention Center in Minneapolis, MN
•February 10-12, 2012, Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Chicago, IL

The promoters are Moron's! And that's why myself and a lot of folks I know won't go to the show most of the time. I probably would have gone yesterday (Saturday) this year. But traveling on slippery snow covered roads to get to the train station, then walking across Manhattan on slick snow covered sidewalks in the cold, wind and snow just didn't work for me. Yeah, I'm whining about it. But the show has sucked more and more each year that I don't think twice about saving my money and staying home.
      Why should I have to be inconvenienced and chance possible discomfort or worse yet, possible injury. Just to spend my money at the show? That's right there is no reason. Well other than having lunch with the COG gang. But then again, nobody really participated in the lunch again this year either. Because the designated COG meet day of the show was again a snowy day in January!
      So I didn't support any of the vendors buy purchasing gear or farkles again this year again. I also didn't get a bug again to buy a new motorcycle this year (because I didn't see any). Nope, none of my money was spent on the show, motorcycle manufacturers or vendors again this year. All because the shows promoters have the show in January in New York. It was cold, windy and/or snowing again this year. So again a lot of folks didn't go. The promoters are morons!  :mad:

Rant off:

Gerry B said:
And from now on that's going to be the only day I'd go.  It was great!  My friend and I took a Metro North train out of New Haven around 1:00PM. Taxi'd over to the show, did all we wanted in a very relaxed way. We had one person in front of us for tickets.  How many can say that on Saturday?  Checked out that new Honda NC700.  Nice bike, but bland. No character... I checked out a bunch of other vendors, especially the heated glove liners. $80 and you can wear your normal riding gloves!  I know that not everyone can go on a Friday, but if you can it's a whole different ball game.

Thats good to know Gerry !! Who did you end up going with? Did you take the late train home?

Hey Norm, Tim and I decided at the last minute to go down since I was starting a new job on Monday!  My battery died in my Prius that Friday morning. Just when we wanted to take it to New Haven.  What a fanny poking that battery/dealer ordeal was! But that's for another time... Anyways, Tim drove down to New Haven and took  the 12:55 train to NYC, got to the show. Walked right in like we owned the place.  Took our merry time looking around, then caught a cab cross town. We had dinner then cabbed it back up to Times Square. We paid homage to the Pig and Whistle and missed the 10:22 train completely!  Ended up on the 11:22 which had 15 stops on the way.  The train never really got above fast bicycle speed before it had to slow down for the next stop.  But all in all Friday IS the only way to fly!

Uh Bob...stuff a sock in it will ya?  Did some squirrel crawl up your pant leg?  That rant should have been your own topic.

Gerry B said:
Hey Norm, Tim and I decided at the last minute to go down since I was starting a new job on Monday!  My battery died in my Prius that Friday morning. Just when we wanted to take it to New Haven.  What a fanny poking that battery/dealer ordeal was! But that's for another time... Anyways, Tim drove down to New Haven and took  the 12:55 train to NYC, got to the show. Walked right in like we owned the place.  Took our merry time looking around, then caught a cab cross town. We had dinner then cabbed it back up to Times Square. We paid homage to the Pig and Whistle and missed the 10:22 train completely!  Ended up on the 11:22 which had 15 stops on the way.  The train never really got above fast bicycle speed before it had to slow down for the next stop.  But all in all Friday IS the only way to fly!

Sorry about the Prius Gerry, those batteries are a PITA. Sounds like you had a great time !!  Was the same bartender there from last time ??  :beer:

Nope...different Irish girl. Nice none the less... Always a good time.  However it was a darn cold walk back to the train afterwards. I really wasn't dressed for the weather. But Tim and I made it back home for around 2:30am. Ahead of the snow, which allowed us to sleep in anyways.

Gerry B said:
Uh Bob...stuff a sock in it will ya?  Did some squirrel crawl up your pant leg?  That rant should have been your own topic.

Sorry Gerry, but I disagree. The post was on topic of Friday show day. I even responded about Friday. The rant section (which I even labeled as rant) also had to do with your topic. Because the time of year does effect the days we go also. Now even though I agree with the topic of the thread, that Friday is the best day. I didn't realize that the topic of the thread should have been: "Gerry went to the NYC M/C show on Friday, and nobody can have an opinion on the topic other than Gerry!"  :p

Like I said Bob, stuff a sock in it. You ruined the karma and now think it's my doing? Next time please start your own rant and not rain on my parade. It was totally inappropriate.

Gerry B said:

+1
Geez Bob.
KIPASS put a coal on your soul?
Some of us actually enjoy taking a day off and going to NYC with freinds and family and consider it the 'Good' part.
Don't like the city, stay the hell home, and don't injure yourself.  :p

Gerry B said:

I hope that the one here at Charlotte NC, is going to be a good one.  I've been following all the shows thru out the states and most of the people have positive things to say, at least on face book and other fourms. There arre a few people that I would like to meet and bikes to see.  Thanks for the info  Gerry.

Cheers
Ron

First off Gerry, I agree that Friday is the best day. My point was to just point out the only down sides of going on Friday. Now not everyone can always take Friday off from work in January to go. So some folks do have to go on the weekend. My rant comes into play because for two of the last three years, the weekend was snowed out. That was the purpose of the rant about the time of year.
  A for your parade. If you start a topic about Friday shows. Then expect folks to comment on Friday shows. That's what I did. I have said more than once now that I agree that Friday is the best day to go to the New York auto show. What I don't agree with it the attitude that folks cannot comment on any potential down side of going on Friday. Again, I'm not raining on your parade. I just tell folks possible negatives that do go with the positives. If you don't like it. Sorry but that's too bad. I'm not going to not give my opinion just because you only want Gerry's positives notes of his great trip. I will say one more time that I agree that Friday is the best day. But it does have a couple of down sides that I posted. If you don't like it Gerry. Then don't start a post on going to the show on Friday.
The rant might not have been totally on topic with going Friday. But it does affect some folks being able to go on Friday or not. And in some case's, it effects folks being able to go at all because of the time of year and weather the comes with it. IMO, every thing was pertinent to the topic. The only thing inappropriate is you telling other folks that they can't post about the topic in your thread. That's what inappropriate! So don't tell me to put a sock in it. I'll tell you where to put your sock! If you do not want a discussion on "Friday at the NY motorcycle show". Then don't post a topic about it and expect nobody says anything except what Gerry wants. Your attitude on folks opinions is what's inappropriate! I respect your opinion a lot Gerry. But I think you went a little over board on your demands (as I did with the rant on the shows time of year)  ;) 

And what is also inappropriate is Tremainiac bringing KIPASS into this. Why must you say something so inappropriate other than to try to provoke a negative response. While I appreciate and agree with your day of at the show on Friday. You had no business getting involved with Gerry's "it's my thread and you can't say anything attitude". And to bring up KIPASS to me has no purpose but to start confrontation. I hold no ill will towards you. So please refrain from using things like KIPASS to comment to or about me without a defined reason. Thanks.

Sorry you took offense at KIPASS. No ill will intended.
Much funnier than squirrel. At least to me.
As to  getting to and from  Manhattan, the cold walk, the expense etc.
It's New York City!  :-[
In January.
As one of the poor wretches that commutes to NYC on a daily basis for the last 40 freakin years  :banghead:, you'll get no sympathy from me on the hardships ( :'( ) of getting to and fro. I took the day off and still went in.
And it's been particularly balmy this year.
Rode on the last day of the year and the first of the new, don't think I've done that before.
AS to getting "involved" in a thread? You got me there... ???

No problem .  :)

My point is that it's not always an issue of taking the day off. It's a matter of being able to take the day off. January is a bad time of year to be able to do this (in my case). Some years I can do it. But not every year. But the fact of the matter is I totally agree on every aspect  that Friday is by far the best day to go to the show. I never disputed that.
  My opinions were only listing the couple of down sides of going on Friday. But the positives far out weight the negitives for going on Friday. But I should point out that since you commute to NYC everyday. It's just another day for you. A lot of us folks, it's multi hours trip each way. Trips to NYC is not the easiest thing to navigate if you don't spend a lot of time in the city. As for the costs associated with it and walking. It's something you deal with. But that doesn't make you feel good about it. And the truth be told. It being in NYC, is more of a reson not to go. BAd time of year, PITA to get to, costs, rude folks and many other resons not to go. I personally only go to the city when I have to. I hate going to the city because of the dificulty and people who work and live there.
  No disrepect meant. But people have no care or compassion for other folks. So I find no enjoyment in going to NYC. I'm not asking for sympathy or anything else. You get my sympathy because you actually deal with that everyday. Whether or not by choice doesn't matter to me. But for me, there is no sympathy, since I don't think twice about not going to the city unless I have to. I tolerate the city to go to the show. I do not go to the show because it's in the city. As far as I'm concerned, I would be happy if I never had to go there.  Again no disrespect towards you or your career choice. I understand we all have to do, what we have to do.
    I do not get to ride this time of year. In my particular situation, moving the bike in and out is next to impossible once the ground starts frosting. Unfortunately, that's my woe. But I deal with it until the ground dries up enough to support the motorcycles. But as to being balmy this year. Yeah, it sucks watching folks ride almost every weekend.
    Unfortunately we got eight inches of snow this year again, on the day I would have gone to the show to meet my COG brothers. Maybe I should have done the unhonorable thing and called in sick when I really wasn't sick. But unforutnately, I won't do that. I only call in sick when I'm actually sick. Again not looking for any sympathy. It's just my way.  So I missed the show becuase I could not take off on Friday this year. I would prefer Friday, but it's not in the cards this year. 
  Again, I hold no ill will towards you. I'm glad you got to go and enjoy the show. (and I truly mean that). Hopefully I  can make next years show on Firday. Because contrary to what folks might believe in this thread. I do think and agree that Friday is the best day to go to the show.  I just wish they might do the NY show in either November or March. But that's unlikely to change.

Quit yer griping.  :-\ 

The show is when the show is.  I doubt the promoters picked the dates based on what would be the most inconvenient to Bob and others that have to travel to the show.  The Javits (and all other expo/convention centers) are usually booked solid with trade and industry shows for several years out. Getting new dates is a major PITA as it is a scheduling and logistical nightmare.  I doubt the show promoters have much choice. Another thing to consider is selecting a time of year that does not conflict with any other shows/rallies/events that manufacturers and vendors might go to. Most vendors need to be running their business during riding season, not on the show circuit.

I think Friday is the best day to go.  Crowds are minimal BECAUSE many folks can not take the day off.  It snowed like heck last year on Friday (more than 6") and I still went into the city. 

Ya know... No matter what the dates are, not everyone will be happy.... 

Yeah, it's easy for you to say. Since you were able to go on the press pass earlier on Friday than the rest of the public. You also didn't have to choose between going in a snow storm or not going at all since you could go on Friday! But I'm OK with that.  But I just want to point out that I sure got to listen to you gripe about going to the show in Hartford though.  But I'm the bad guy for complaining about the snow?    :p

Cap'n Bob said:
Yeah, it's easy for you to say. Since you were able to go on the press pass earlier on Friday than the rest of the public. You also didn't have to choose between going in a snow storm or not going at all since you could go on Friday! But I'm OK with that.  But I just want to point out that I sure got to listen to you gripe about going to the show in Hartford though. You griped about driving 40 miles and  having to pay to park. And you were getting paid to be there!  But I'm the bad guy for complaining about the snow?    :p

Of course it's easy... I choose to go - rain, snow or shine.  Yes... I go Friday morning as there are opportunities for industry info, interviews, and pics that can not be obtained during show hours that I need for the part time gig.  I am at the show all day since the majority of vendor booths do not open until the show does.  I used to stay in the city for the weekend and do the show SAT too.

Yes, [IMHO] the Hartford show was terrible compared to NY.  I was working both part time gigs at that show.

Bottom line...  I went...  to both.... what did you do to earn the right to gripe?  :))

Holy Side Track Batman !!!

batman-and-robin-tv.jpg

SAS Mayhem said:
question, are there any deals to be had from the vendors at these shows?

Cheers
Ron

Some vendors offer show specials that can save you a few bucks, but it is a good idea to know what the street prices are to be sure.  It's no different than going to the vendor area of Americade or a big BMW rally.  I usually do not go to buy. Instead I go to explore and browse what the motorcycle and accessory vendors have to offer. It's also good to get exposed to some motorcycle tour destinations and ask questions.  There are also a fair number of booths hawking sunglasses, eye glass polish, patches, leathers and stickers.

If you're looking for deals at a show (any show) the trick is to show up at the end.  If the show ends on Sunday afternoon, the deals will get really sweet after lunch on Sunday, as the vendors try to avoid hauling a bunch of stuff back with them.

ChipDoc said:
If you're looking for deals at a show (any show) the trick is to show up at the end.  If the show ends on Sunday afternoon, the deals will get really sweet after lunch on Sunday, as the vendors try to avoid hauling a bunch of stuff back with them.
Best deals, maybe.. But if you are looking for a particular item, if you wait till the end of the show it might not be available.  :mad:

Camper Dave said:
ChipDoc said:
Best deals, maybe.. But if you are looking for a particular item, if you wait till the end of the show it might not be available.  :mad:
True enough... but take a look at the original question!
SAS Mayhem said:
question, are there any deals to be had from the vendors at these shows?
:-[

S Smith said:
Camper Dave said:
Since when did we start really answering the original question?  :rotflmao: :D

Anyone go to the show Sunday?  :sign0151:

I almost went Sunday this year. But it didn't work out. We did go Sunday last year. The problem with Sunday, is like Dave stated. Most of the vendors inventory is gone. So a lot of items that you may be interested in are already sold out. But Sunday is a little quieter than Saturday. Friday is still by far the best day. Crowds similar or less than Sunday. Plus all the vendors have more of their merchandise yet.