• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

West Coast Mountain Ride

OMoaC

Planning a trip from Henderson NV through north AZ, NM, up through CO into WY, Across ID to OR and back down. Done middle NV and through CO on the 70. Planning about 7 days. Anybody thats been there done that and has recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Rode LA up CA 395 to Wellington NV (near carson, NV), across NW Nevada then north to Boise, ID. Rode west from Boise Hwy 20 to 395 in North Oregon, south on 395 to Hwy 14, to LA. I liked this ride.

I know it only covers part of your route, but hope it helps some.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Planning a trip from Henderson NV through north AZ, NM, up through CO into WY, Across ID to OR and back down. Done middle NV and through CO on the 70. Planning about 7 days. Anybody thats been there done that and has recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend taking more time!  ;)  There's a lot (and I mean a lot!) of country to see between here and there!

Oly mentioning a very few of the areas that I've been to, and would not miss if I had the chance to see them again would be the Grand Canyon (AZ), Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches (UT), The whole state of Colorado!, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Cody (WY), Bear Tooth Pass (MT) Sawtooths (ID). Wallowa's, Coumbia Gorge, Cascades, Crater Lake, Pacific Ocean! (OR)

So decide the miles you want to ride each day as this will dictate your routing and the time you want to spend at each location more than anything else.  Yous got some splanin to doos!

Thanks Folks. Just posted this again because I didn't think it took (newbie). 2linby, Just did south Utah. Some of the finest riding I've ever had. Highly recomended. Use Cedar City as a center point. JC, 395 is a most awesome road. Cut over from Lone Pine and the top of death valley into Vegas sometime. Great views and road. Thanks again.

If you are going in the summer time I highly recommend the north rim of the grand canyon taking the road out to Cape Royal instead of to the visitor center. By the way do you live in Henderson? I live off of Stephanie and 215 and am always looking for ridin buddies

Yessir. Off of lake mead by lake las vegas. How do you get to the north rim? Through mesquite or Utah? Send me an email and the next time the ol' lady and I head out I'll give you a shout. Or visa versa.

Old Man On a Connie,
This West Coast trip you are planning.
What month will you go and how long will it be?
In your planning do you try and figure out before hand
where you will stay for the night?

Pro'ly May or June Traveler. Hopping to get some input on roads and places here. Watching your post too. June weather is not bad here and Utah. Pretty good for death Valley too. Will use the atlas and internet for the rest. Have some mad maps that are pretty good. Will try to find you a link.

Keep in mind the NWCOG Bunn Cooler in Idaho usualy the third weekend in May. 
US12 between Lewiston Idaho and Missoula Mt is a wonderful piece of road.  70mph curves and 100+ mph sweepers, although bear of all sorts, state, county, reservation, and black along with mule and whitetail deer require a degree of caution.  The roads north out of Boise Idaho to US12 are spectacular.