• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What a difference a tire makes

guycnicholas

I have about 6k miles on my '11 Connie and just finished putting on new rubber.  As noted by a number of people the stock bike puts a lot of pressure on the inside hand during a turn.  I had read a comparison here: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2012-bmw-k1600gt-vs-2011-kawasaki-concours-14-abs-video-91105.html and they mentioned switching to a 55 series tire made a big difference.
When the time came I bought my new Michelin Pilot Road 3's as I had ridden my last bike, a Honda 919, on the PR2 and I really liked them.  Anyway, I decided to try the 55 series to see if I noticed a difference, but when I replaced just the rear and rode it around I was bummed that I could not really feel a significant difference from what it was before.
Well, I finally got the wrenches to remove the front wheel and I was able to get to replacing it.  When I took it down the street for a test ride it sort of scared me as the bike required almost no effort to turn.  I took it out and rode a bunch of turns at different speeds and was totally thrilled with the increase in ease of turning.  If I had a throttle control I could ride hands free in the turns!

In summary, PR3's make the Battlax tires feel like an old Battle Axe :)

Later, Guy

Later, Guyy

Yes, that is probably the majority consensus from folks who have gone this route. Glad your liking it better.

wow, now I'm anxious to wear out my tires to get the PR3's  :motonoises: hard to believe its going to make that big a difference

Just switched out from the worn stock Bridgestones at 5200 miles to the PR3's.
So much better and i have a lot more confidence with them going into the turns. I don't know if it is so much going from a worn set or pschy. ,but geez these PR3's feel great.
Thanks for this forum leading me this way ! :)

jkenny said:
Does it make a difference if you have traction control which tires to put on the bike?

IMHO, no, not really.  A good tire is a good tire, but then, I almost never turn the TC off.  And really, it is in the cornering, where I want the tires to perform their best.

- was the difference that the OP was posting about caused by going to PR3s or going to the 55 section rear tyre ? Or both ?

thanks

I stayed with the 50 series when I changed to the PR3s.  They transformed my bikes handling completely.  Before the change I was worried that I made a big mistake when I bought the bike.  I am now completely happy with it.

The Bridgestones suck so bad it's just hard to believe.

The day in January I went in to sign the purchase agreement on a black 2012 Concours 14 ABS, I took in new PR3s tires and asked them to put them on before I picked the bike up. They offered to do it for free if I gave them the (new) OEM Bridgerocks. They really had to twist my arm to get me to take that deal !  :rotflmao:

There have been times I cornered my Connie almost as hard as I ever did my ZX14. The only difference has been less ground clearance. The PR3s have provided incredibly good traction and grip, even wear, and in the rain they have been consistant and predictable.

Next pair I put on will be the same as I have now, unless a PR4 comes out.  :motonoises:

Now that I have lowered her, the good is I can flat foot at stops, the bad news is I have less clearance. So I'll just slow my roll in the corners. Its ok, I'll get there just fine.  :great:

Wow, just got my new C14 a few weeks ago, and I thought the stock Bridgestones were pretty nice, and I have rolled through some harsh cornering, and have had a lot of fun.  After reading these exerpts, I can't wait to get the PR3's.