• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What A Difference!

micrider

It is hard to believe what an amazing difference two little blocks of aluminum can make in riding comfort. This morning I installed my pullback risers from AST and then went for a 200 mile test ride. WOW! I can sit up straight, and still have a relaxed reach for the grips, and my thumbs don't go to sleep after 30 minutes of riding. I even found that it is quite comfortable to ride with the windshield lowered at freeway speeds.

Only two issues remain on my list. The seat just does not like me and the stock top box is way oversized for day to day riding. I've whittled the list of seat makers down to two but haven't started looking at other top boxes. Any recommendations?

A lot of people like the tank bag option and they come in a lot of sizes and are super convenient. Personally I run with no hard bags and a small coin box converted to a tool box (see my avitar) when I'm on day rides. The coin box is jammed full of tools and I run a No Drag back pack if I need extra clothing for the day. I tend to end up with a bunch of stuff I don't need in my hard bags and I like the nimble feeling with no bags on....kind of a sport bike feel. See the "no drag" here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079QRS8K?tag=sa-b2c-new-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
I can't even tell I'm wearing it when riding since the pack rests on the back of the seat and there is no weight on your shoulders.

Dirtwiz said:
A lot of people like the tank bag option and they come in a lot of sizes and are super convenient. Personally I run with no hard bags and a small coin box converted to a tool box (see my avitar) when I'm on day rides. The coin box is jammed full of tools and I run a No Drag back pack if I need extra clothing for the day. I tend to end up with a bunch of stuff I don't need in my hard bags and I like the nimble feeling with no bags on....kind of a sport bike feel. See the "no drag" here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079QRS8K?tag=sa-b2c-new-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
I can't even tell I'm wearing it when riding since the pack rests on the back of the seat and there is no weight on your shoulders.
Ditto, no hard bags for me, unless overnight. I use an easy on/off tail bag available in two sizes with expandability. It has more than enough room to carry all my possibles. Hat, phone, glasses, wallet, emergency kit, water, raingear and still has room for gear. I love this bag and it basically fits any bike, I've used it on three completely different motorcycles. I don't leave home without it either running bags or without.

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_090136 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20190609_090136 - Copy.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20190428_102311 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20190428_102311 - Copy.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 211
Tundra said:
Dirtwiz said:
Ditto, no hard bags for me, unless overnight. I use an easy on/off tail bag available in two sizes with expandability. It has more than enough room to carry all my possibles. Hat, phone, glasses, wallet, emergency kit, water, raingear and still has room for gear. I love this bag and it basically fits any bike, I've used it on three completely different motorcycles. I don't leave home without it either running bags or without.

What bag is that? I like it and fits the bike well.

:nananana: :beerchug: :)DAMN, MAN. ;LAST PIC TAKEN RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BOX CAR IN DOWNTOWN DUNEDIN BEHIND THE DUNEDIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY,  MY OFFICE WAS LOCATED ONE BLOCK DUE WEST IN THE 748 BUILDING FOR 35 YEARS! IT'S ON THE CONNER OF "OLD MAIN STREET" AND ALT. 19, ACROSS FROM THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.  I STILL OWN A CONDO DOWN THERE, BUT MY 2017 STAYS UP HERE IN PARK CITY. TOO DAMN MANY OLD FARTS IN FLORIDA NOW [INCLUDING ME] :mad:

Mike said:
... but haven't started looking at other top boxes. Any recommendations?

My bike (used) came with the largest GIVI top box; I replaced it with the smallest one (33? gal.). 
It stays on every day - can fit a helmet only if totally empty.

Years ago I used a soft bag that strapped across the passenger seat, and that worked.

2016-07-19 003 crop smaller_zpswt9bea1p.jpg

2016-09-1220007_zps9brl32nq.jpg

Shizzle said:
Tundra said:
Dirtwiz said:

Shizzle, it's a Dowco Iron Rider. Available almost everywhere that sells bike accessories, Dennis Kirk, RevZilla, Cycle Gear etc. I bought mine on Amazon who offered the best price and shipping at the time. Mine is the small bag.

WFL said:
:nananana: :beerchug: :)DAMN, MAN. ;LAST PIC TAKEN RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BOX CAR IN DOWNTOWN DUNEDIN BEHIND THE DUNEDIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY,  MY OFFICE WAS LOCATED ONE BLOCK DUE WEST IN THE 748 BUILDING FOR 35 YEARS! IT'S ON THE CONNER OF "OLD MAIN STREET" AND ALT. 19, ACROSS FROM THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.  I STILL OWN A CONDO DOWN THERE, BUT MY 2017 STAYS UP HERE IN PARK CITY. TOO DAMN MANY OLD FARTS IN FLORIDA NOW [INCLUDING ME] :mad:
You are correct. I go to the BBQ joint on Main St. The only one that serves pulled "Chicken" BBQ, everyone serves pulled pork, brisket and ribs and even whole/quarter chicken. My favorite is pulled chicken. I stop there often for an Amber Bock and pulled chicken samich :great:
  There is still great riding in Florida, you just need to ride to it.  I can show you roads that resemble the backwoods of Tennessee. As long as the temps are below 90° and 90% RH I'll be out and can show you anytime, just reach out. When it gets "Africa Hot" my nickname is A/C.

What was your office? I know of a Taco restaurant, an Ice Cream & dessert shop and the History Museum or near the Chamber of Commerce?

Tundra said:
Shizzle said:
Tundra said:
Dirtwiz said:

Shizzle, it's a Dowco Iron Rider. Available almost everywhere that sells bike accessories, Dennis Kirk, RevZilla, Cycle Gear etc. I bought mine on Amazon who offered the best price and shipping at the time. Mine is the small bag.

Discontinued Dowco Iron Rider

HI, my office was on the second floor of the 748 Building. It sits on the southwest corner of alt. 19 and "old main street". The west side of the chamber of commerce faces the side of the building where my office was. If you stand on the side walk by the west side of the chamber and look west across the street you will see two fiberglass manikins dressed in Scottish attire  climbing on a ladder up to the roof of the building.  My buddy at Arc Angels on Douglas ave made that art work for Joe Kokolakis  who now owns everything on Broadway from main street to Scotland.
I sold the building in dec of 2005 so you probably never saw my name on the building or the second floor glass windows unless you have been going to dunedin for a long time. i got out of the commercial real estate market  before the big crash in 2008?. After that i practiced out of my home for a decade and then pretty much headed up here to Utah.  I was going back to Dunedin on a regular bases till the virus thing hit. Next time i'm down i'll give you a call and we can meet at the bbq joint.

Dirtwiz said:

I could get away with just a tank bag on the daily commute, but my bike would look like a dork mobile with the bags off due to those bars poking out in the breeze - they look like wings! The bars came with the bike, are integrated into the aftermarket passenger pegs, so I think they should stay put "just in case." Although I am happy with them, I have never needed em on any of my bikes in the past. Guess I'm really, REALLY careful.  :)

Now where is some wood to knock on when you need it.....

Enjoy the ride.

Hey Tundra, Off topic but do you like the cycle support in your picture that you roll around? Is it from HF or elsewhere? Have you bent your side stand so the bike sits more upright?
PM me if needed so I don't become a hijacker. Thanks.